A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Post by der wo »

Just for orientation or inspiration for the next mash:

The average amount of water the Scotch use per kg malt is 5.3l. Not considering the last water, which becomes the first water of the next mash. So when mashing with three waters, the first has perhaps 3.5l/kg, the second 1.8l/kg (3.5 + 1.8 = 5.3). And the third (probably you will not do that) again 3.5l, which then will pumped to the next mash tun.
They get in average 7.9% alcohol this way.

How did the cherry smoked malt smell? Like a campfire? Then it is not a good replacement for peat. Peated malt smells like a cold ashtray.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

der wo wrote:Just for orientation or inspiration for the next mash:

The average amount of water the Scotch use per kg malt is 5.3l. Not considering the last water, which becomes the first water of the next mash. So when mashing with three waters, the first has perhaps 3.5l/kg, the second 1.8l/kg (3.5 + 1.8 = 5.3). And the third (probably you will not do that) again 3.5l, which then will pumped to the next mash tun.
They get in average 7.9% alcohol this way.

How did the cherry smoked malt smell? Like a campfire? Then it is not a good replacement for peat. Peated malt smells like a cold ashtray.

Cheers der wo!

I have heard this mentioned before. But now I actually get it.

No, nothing like peat. But it does seem rather pleasant. When I said substitute, I meant more (it ain't peat but it will taste nice in its own way) haha. It's much more predominant after fermentation too.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Something a touch geekier is in order I think :)
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Watching the video I was not sure what one was what? So were you right?

B
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

And what does it mean if he was right? That he can taste a difference between his spirit distilled to a lower proof and non filtered and a high rectified and charcoal cleaned commercial product?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

What bottle was Absolute and what was his. this was not clear in the video.

B
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

bitter wrote:What bottle was Absolute and what was his. this was not clear in the video.

B
I assumed the bottle with the plastic lid that needed to be cracked open was the commercial one.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I assumes so also... He confirmed in the comments. apparently part the video disappeared
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Yeah sorry guys.

Im not too sure what happend but there is about 3 min of video missing. At work so cant fx anything now :( Will sort it tonight!
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

der wo wrote:And what does it mean if he was right? That he can taste a difference between his spirit distilled to a lower proof and non filtered and a high rectified and charcoal cleaned commercial product?
FFV distilled to 91% proofed down to 40%

But yes, this served just as a demonstration of the test, answering "is there a perceivable difference between FFV and Absalut".
As stated in the vid everything else I said about the two is just perception.

But on another note. Remember back to a time when you had never tasted a home made product. When the only bench mark you had was what you could buy. Can totally understand that comparing to commercial mass produced products is irrelevant for those that are experienced. But for some one that has no comparison, no experience, no local friends producing top quality stuff. . .

I get the feeling this may be the first port of call in terms of gauging "how good is my stuff". I used to buy absolute and be very happy with it. Now I know I can make something better.

I have heard a lot of people say "commercial stuff is horrible its no comparison". But they are people that really know spirits and/or the process of making them. What if I totally screwed up? What if my stuff was compleat ass? haha. Now at least I have experienced that my self. I can agree that it is not hype! And I can also objectively say that there is a perceivable difference between the two.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Of course I know what it means to compare the own stuff with commercial spirits. Unfortunately I taste very fast what's mine, because I simply remember. And then unfortunately the test isn't blind anymore regardless who has filled for me the glasses. It would have been better your friend had made the tasting.
-you compared a 91% with a 95 or more%. Of course the 91% has more taste. Perhaps this is better for you, but is it Vodka?
-you compared something carbon filtered and probably slightly flavored after that with something unfiltered and unflavored. If one wouldn't taste a difference, why would they do those procedures.
-you compared a spirit with commercial constraints and one without. You cut more fores and then the spirit is smoother than the Absolut. They have to demand more money for a bottle when they cut more and because Absolut doesn't have the image of a high class spirit, they go bankrupt then. The smoothness of our spirits is less greediness, that's all perhaps.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

der wo wrote:Of course I know what it means to compare the own stuff with commercial spirits. Unfortunately I taste very fast what's mine, because I simply remember. And then unfortunately the test isn't blind anymore regardless who has filled for me the glasses. It would have been better your friend had made the tasting.
-you compared a 91% with a 95 or more%. Of course the 91% has more taste. Perhaps this is better for you, but is it Vodka?
-you compared something carbon filtered and probably slightly flavored after that with something unfiltered and unflavored. If one wouldn't taste a difference, why would they do those procedures.
-you compared a spirit with commercial constraints and one without. You cut more fores and then the spirit is smoother than the Absolut. They have to demand more money for a bottle when they cut more and because Absolut doesn't have the image of a high class spirit, they go bankrupt then. The smoothness of our spirits is less greediness, that's all perhaps.

Yup I totally agree with you on all of that. I think the most important thing you mentioned is the bias point. Totally agree. Which is exactly why I pointed out that all the test does is show there is a difference. I would have loved to have my friend taste it. Unfortunately, technically that is illegal for me. Seeing as I am trying to work with the powers that be and do things on the up and up I couldn't do that :(

There was no intent whatsoever in this video to say/prove something along the lines of "my FFV is BETTER than Absolut". It was about the test itself. FFV vs Absolut was used as an example.

Also totally agree on the idea of "if you can't taste the difference why do it?". Thats kinda the point right, and exactly what this test is designed for :)
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Sorry team,

Full video up now haha!

Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Sorry guys,

have been slack around here lately! I need to catch up on a bunch of stuff.

Latest video is out :)

TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Gday Still It!

I have seen many of your videos but just found this thread.
I know even less about websites and forums than I do about distilling but let me suggest:
A separate "section" of the Forum entitled "Videos"
Since you are the first (I think) to be going actively going down this road, each video could be simply input as a new thread.
(I'm the guy that suggested Episode or Chapter Numbers)

and Title a thread, "Still It Volume 1, #39 : Single Malt" Spirit Run" to distinguish who it is and the subject.
(Year 1 and yes you've done 39, actually 40, videos!

That would not only allow us to keep up more easily with the episodes but to have a better discussion - moderated - perhaps than the comments on Youtube.
You could also link to the thread in the comments on Youtube to generate crossing traffic. It would encourage the curious to come to HD instead of the, "put your turbo yeast in the aluminum pot and crank her up!" crowd on the 'Tube.

Seems like doing it this way may also prompt others to post their videos here as well.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work.
:mrgreen:
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Bamaberry wrote:Gday Still It!

I have seen many of your videos but just found this thread.
I know even less about websites and forums than I do about distilling but let me suggest:
A separate "section" of the Forum entitled "Videos"
Since you are the first (I think) to be going actively going down this road, each video could be simply input as a new thread.
(I'm the guy that suggested Episode or Chapter Numbers)

and Title a thread, "Still It Volume 1, #39 : Single Malt" Spirit Run" to distinguish who it is and the subject.
(Year 1 and yes you've done 39, actually 40, videos!

That would not only allow us to keep up more easily with the episodes but to have a better discussion - moderated - perhaps than the comments on Youtube.
You could also link to the thread in the comments on Youtube to generate crossing traffic. It would encourage the curious to come to HD instead of the, "put your turbo yeast in the aluminum pot and crank her up!" crowd on the 'Tube.

Seems like doing it this way may also prompt others to post their videos here as well.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work.
:mrgreen:
Hows it man :) I don't think I will ever get used to working out who is who from where on different platforms! haha. Totally hear you on the episodes thing for YT. YT doesn't play too nice with it though haha. So archiving them here in order based on number is fine by me.

Im all down for that, I think it could be a sweet idea. I just didn't really want to be creating a but load of individual threads as I thought it could be a little intrusive here (why I have just left it as a single thread). If the community, in general, feels good about that then I am all for it.

As you say it would allow more in-depth discussion over time about a single topic etc.

And 40 vids . . . . yeah, wow! HAHA
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Really cool videos man!

What a great resource!!!!!!!

Are you going to do distilling courses in NZ?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

johnsparrow wrote:Really cool videos man!

I'm sure that there are better resources available than enthusiastic newbies on Youtube.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

Howdy Jesse, scottbro here.

I'm glad you enjoyed the hibiscus, There should be enough for 2 batches, I found 30g per litre you want to make is just right (abit bitter but tolerable) and it will also turn a deep purple, ain't seen nothin' like it before.

I just did the lemencello, will be bulk buying lemons for the latest molasses wash i'm running, will then try FFV. that some good sippin'

Also sometimes you can't sacrifice the good things in this hobby, use the best honey you can, leave for a month and you will get more depth and flavour. will try this with oranges as well.

A video segment showing how different quantities ina recipe affect infusion rates and colour etc would be ciool, some people also don't understand Infusion recipes and visual demonstration helps. for example you could do 3 infusions with vanilla bean and do all 3 at the same time but first jar has half a bean, second jar has 2, third jar has 5 take timelapse daily (or weekly) and how to prepare the vanilla bean, (i've noticed that the seed give the colour and the bean gives the flavour so cut and strip bean down the middle so insides are showing. )

Just thinkin' allowed, always happy to help with "resources" needed for your show if you need another "care package"

keep on truckin'
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Thanks, man. Glad you found something useful at least :) haha
NZChris wrote:

I'm sure that there are better resources available than enthusiastic newbies on Youtube.
Agreed! haha. Hence why I am not going to be running courses anytime soon :lol: May try and set up a colab with more experienced people though.

pounsfos wrote:Howdy Jesse, scottbro here.

I'm glad you enjoyed the hibiscus, There should be enough for 2 batches, I found 30g per litre you want to make is just right (abit bitter but tolerable) and it will also turn a deep purple, ain't seen nothin' like it before.

Interesting! Wow, Guess I shoulda used some more I guess! Perhaps a whole lot more for less time! Sorry dude I realized you did say that before huh (the 30g I mean)!

A video segment showing how different quantities ina recipe affect infusion rates and colour etc would be ciool, some people also don't understand Infusion recipes and visual demonstration helps. for example you could do 3 infusions with vanilla bean and do all 3 at the same time but first jar has half a bean, second jar has 2, third jar has 5 take timelapse daily (or weekly) and how to prepare the vanilla bean, (i've noticed that the seed give the colour and the bean gives the flavour so cut and strip bean down the middle so insides are showing. )

Just thinkin' allowed, always happy to help with "resources" needed for your show if you need another "care package"

Dig the ideas man! I kina think along similar idea paths I think. I like the idea of breaking things down to one variable like that. Being able to show how that one thing effects the overall etc. Also kinda thinking I may get the more basic stuff done first. Good for my experience too!

Thanks again man!

keep on truckin'
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Looking forward to the follow-up video on oaking. It's amazing how fast it picks up color.

I'd recommend smelling and maybe even tasting a bit of it every few weeks for a more first hand feel of how the process can change a product.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Another great video, Thanks man!
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

never put two and two together till just now. didnt realize jes2xu was u on still it. keep the great vids coming
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Silicone seals on aging jugs? Really? Who said that was a good idea?

Newbies might be watching this video and sucking this down like gospel truth without doing due diligence and checking it's safety with it's manufacturers.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

NZChris wrote:Silicone seals on aging jugs? Really? Who said that was a good idea?

Newbies might be watching this video and sucking this down like gospel truth without doing due diligence and checking it's safety with it's manufacturers.
I am pretty sure they are wrapped in Teflon.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

NZChris wrote:Silicone seals on aging jugs? Really? Who said that was a good idea?

Yup, Teflon wrapped. As discussed in two videos dedicated to silicon gaskets and Teflon tape.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

nuntius01 wrote:never put two and two together till just now. didnt realize jes2xu was u on still it. keep the great vids coming
haha all good. Its a bit of a nightmare trying to keep track of usernames over multiple platforms!
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

BDF wrote:Looking forward to the follow-up video on oaking. It's amazing how fast it picks up color.

I'd recommend smelling and maybe even tasting a bit of it every few weeks for a more first hand feel of how the process can change a product.
Im looking forward to tasting it! haha

Cheers man. Agreed its picking up color faster than I would have thought. I have been trying to work out how best to keep up with stuff like that over time, especially when I build up a bit of a collection of random things aging at different stages. Perhaps just a "progress report" video once a fortnight or something.
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Jes2xu wrote:
BDF wrote:Looking forward to the follow-up video on oaking. It's amazing how fast it picks up color.

Im looking forward to tasting it! haha

Cheers man. Agreed its picking up color faster than I would have thought. I have been trying to work out how best to keep up with stuff like that over time, especially when I build up a bit of a collection of random things aging at different stages. Perhaps just a "progress report" video once a fortnight or something.
I know your wood supply is low at the moment, but mixing so many different woods, of different sizes, at different toast/char levels in the same jar is also gonna be really hard to keep track of.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

BDF wrote:
I know your wood supply is low at the moment, but mixing so many different woods, of different sizes, at different toast/char levels in the same jar is also gonna be really hard to keep track of.
Do you mean in terms of remembering whats in there? Or in terms of tracking flavours from individual woods/char/toast ?