A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: A new youtube channel for distilling ?

Post by Swedish Pride »

Rod wrote:
dieselduo wrote:very good Jessie ! Next one should be refractometers with Brix and % ABV with automatic temp control (ATC) . They can be had for about $20 US on Amazon. Ever since I switched I'd never go back. The ABV refractometer during a run is better than a parrot because there will be no smearing. Just stick it under for a cpl of drops. Only drawback is it only goes to 160 proof but that's no problem

Hi , can you give me the on-line amazon address for the hydrometer you purchased

there are heaps on line and I would like to buy the one you got as I can be sure it works

I am in Australia and will buy locally as amazon charge heaps to ship here

better give me the brand name to be sure as well
not sure if they come branded, not the once i saw on ebay when i got mine anyways.
I got mine on ebay and it's great if you're running a pot of it you want to know where you are at on a strip run, it's not super accurate.
If i calibrate it at 40% it is accutare at 40% and less so when you move a way from 40%, think i had 5% off or so when i checked at 70%.
I just got it on ebay with free or close to free shipping from china
Don't be a dick
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My cheapo Chinese set of three appears to be accurate. Some of the graduations aren't quite even, so what? It's only a fraction of a percent either way. We're home distillers, not selling our products, so why would a 1/10 of a percent matter?

I've recently replaced a broken brewing hydrometer with a 1.100-1.000 and a 1.000-0.900. They are too long for a 100ml tube, but they are great for using in the fermenter.

As for measuring at the hydrometer's temperature and using inaccurate correction algorithms etc., does the accuracy really matter as much as you are making out? I don't think so.
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Just took a peek at the channel, watched a few of the videos. I like the approach, links to good resources, not afraid to say you don't know something and that you're learning. Style is consistent and the framing clearly shows what's happening.

Especially liked the brewing video and hope that when you do take the leap into distilling and preparing your wash/mash you are as thorough with showing each step. Guides about major steps in the process are a dime a dozen, but the logistics of each little in between step is where all the anxiety comes from when doing something new. There are always tons of ways to skin a cat, but seeing one way in detail still helps.

And in case you're still wondering how you might seal the brewpot lid (if you haven't went out and got a keg) I made and successfully used an everlasting PTFE gasket on a brewpot the same size you used. Also, you can solder stainless pretty much as you would copper, but it requires a different flux

Having just finished my own electric keg still, if it helps I listed my parts and the links that helped me learn what needed to be done:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p7469913
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Hey Jes2xu..

Keep them coming. I left this comment on youtube and some of it is already alluded to above:

"Nice vids J... other hydrometer/alcoholmeter tips: 1. always rinse between measurements. dried residue can affect readings. 2. CALIBRATE...most important!!! many hydrometers (especially cheap ones) are off by a few points... this does not render them useless. They just need to be calibrated or "zeroed". Many existing web pages and vids exist already."
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Thanks for all the input everyone! Sorry have been away on a family trip since this video went out (literally hit the go live button as I walked out the door haha).

Love the fact that people are adding to the discussion on these vids. I would be pumped if the comments section over there and here ends up being more valuable than the videos themselves (pretty close to reality especially on this video!).

Actually I think I may dedicate a few min of the next video to the comments. Some pretty solid tips / tricks / suggestions etc.
rgreen2002 wrote:Hey Jes2xu..

"Nice vids J... other hydrometer/alcoholmeter tips: 1. always rinse between measurements. dried residue can affect readings. 2. CALIBRATE...most important!!! many hydrometers (especially cheap ones) are off by a few points... this does not render them useless. They just need to be calibrated or "zeroed". Many existing web pages and vids exist already."
Thanks, man! I saw that comment, to be honest I am not sure if I replied!? Two very good points!
BDF wrote: Especially liked the brewing video and hope that when you do take the leap into distilling and preparing your wash/mash you are as thorough with showing each step. Guides about major steps in the process are a dime a dozen, but the logistics of each little in between step is where all the anxiety comes from when doing something new. There are always tons of ways to skin a cat, but seeing one way in detail still helps.

Thanks man! I didnt really get too into any specifics on the brewing because it was mostly just for eye candy. And to show something a little different for the distillers.
But I totally agree on what you are saying! And I think it could be a strength of youtube as a platform. Being able to dedicate a 10min vid to the overall process of say the mash (for total newbies). Then a 10 min video just talking about the temp, or enzyme theory, or diastetic power of differnt malt etc etc etc.

And in case you're still wondering how you might seal the brewpot lid (if you haven't went out and got a keg) I made and successfully used an everlasting PTFE gasket on a brewpot the same size you used.

Having just finished my own electric keg still, if it helps I listed my parts and the links that helped me learn what needed to be done:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p7469913

There may be a development on the boiler front in the coming video . . . .
Will check that thread out for sure though!
NZChris wrote:My cheapo Chinese set of three appears to be accurate. Some of the graduations aren't quite even, so what? It's only a fraction of a percent either way. We're home distillers, not selling our products, so why would a 1/10 of a percent matter?
Yup I agree, and pretty much say so in the video right? It was more that I dont feel comfortable telling other people to buy stuff that is obviously that poorly made. But wanted to mention it as a option. I was actually going to put a link in the description as a option, but couldnt find one that was not sold out. This reminds me I should check again though.

I've recently replaced a broken brewing hydrometer with a 1.100-1.000 and a 1.000-0.900. They are too long for a 100ml tube, but they are great for using in the fermenter.
Thats a good point actually. Didnt think about the differing length of some of them.

As for measuring at the hydrometer's temperature and using inaccurate correction algorithms etc., does the accuracy really matter as much as you are making out? I don't think so.

How accurate do you want to be? Practically perhaps not a big deal depending on your goals. Remember a lot of people are in this hobby for the theory and geekery as much as anything else though.
dieselduo wrote:very good Jessie ! Next one should be refractometers with Brix and % ABV with automatic temp control (ATC) . They can be had for about $20 US on Amazon. Ever since I switched I'd never go back. The ABV refractometer during a run is better than a parrot because there will be no smearing. Just stick it under for a cpl of drops. Only drawback is it only goes to 160 proof but that's no problem
I have had a refractometer for a a while for brewing now. Wouldnt be without it, im in love! So I definitly need to do this!
I think the plan while in this line of thought is
Proof vs AP% vs brix vs gravity
refractometer specific vid (same as this one but refractometer only)
Refractometer vs hydrometer

Thoughts?
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Jes2xu wrote:....Thoughts?
my thought is you've been teasing long enough now.
foreplay is over, time to get stilling :D
Don't be a dick
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Swedish Pride wrote:
Jes2xu wrote:....Thoughts?
my thought is you've been teasing long enough now.
foreplay is over, time to get stilling :D

Bahahaha! Yeah dude agreed.

. . . . bit of a development / surprise on that front being leaked tomorrow ;)
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

A bit of discussion around the cool comments from the last vid.

But more importantly, I have something pretty sweet to show you!
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Nice keg boiler, all those pre-welded/soldered ports make that thing a dream for starting up this hobby. What power output size heating element is in there (if any)? I know myself with a similar size boiler, while running in pot still mode, do spirit runs at ~1800watts-2000watts, and anything above that just makes the heat-up faster or aids in stripping runs.

Having sourced/soldered my keg myself I know what a score that boiler was, even if the exterior is covered in superficial scratches. I eventually want to make either a boka, a CCVM, or modular 3/4 plate bubbler so am looking forward to your process and experience.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

BDF wrote:Nice keg boiler, all those pre-welded/soldered ports make that thing a dream for starting up this hobby. What power output size heating element is in there (if any)? I know myself with a similar size boiler, while running in pot still mode, do spirit runs at ~1800watts-2000watts, and anything above that just makes the heat-up faster or aids in stripping runs.

Having sourced/soldered my keg myself I know what a score that boiler was, even if the exterior is covered in superficial scratches. I eventually want to make either a boka, a CCVM, or modular 3/4 plate bubbler so am looking forward to your process and experience.

Yeah totally agree. Everything is TIG welded. So pretty happy with that!

Its 2x 3K. So plenty of juice. I am still looking at an arduino/SSR-based controller. But it has been suggested that a decent backup solution would be smart too haha :)
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Awesome deal on the boiler! Will do you well!

B
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Hey J,
First...thanks for the shout out on the latest vid. I really appreciate not mentioning the crossover from YouTube to here since somehow my name ends up on YouTube(not sure how, but not too concerned!) I will keep dropping info there and here as it helps.

Beauty of a boiler! That 6K of power on 15 gallons will be a bit too much though. Good for heat up but you will most likely be able to drop back to 2000 or so for the main part of the run. Because of this the controller you build only needs to control one of the elements, the other just plug in and out.

The last tip for it... I see you still have the sanke port for your still head. I might make this suggestion: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4#p7474094

The copper flange fits right inside the sanke and is 1. more stable 2. Easier to seat to prevent leaks.

Good luck and keep them coming!

PS: get used to that silly excited face, it's near permanent! It's something we call the "rabbit hole" and you done went and stumbled into it.... all downhill form here! Your face muscles will get sore from grinning like an idiot from now on! :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

This is what you can look forward to with some stilling and some time on oak. Just bottled this UJSSM today.

B
Attachments
ujssm=sm.jpg
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

rgreen2002 wrote:Hey J,
First...thanks for the shout out on the latest vid. I really appreciate not mentioning the crossover from YouTube to here since somehow my name ends up on YouTube(not sure how, but not too concerned!) I will keep dropping info there and here as it helps.

I figgered the easiest way to give props to those that helped would be to mention/reference YT comments directly, and generically mention forum/Reddit stuff. Your "name" on YT should be whatever Google account you are logged into :)

Beauty of a boiler! That 6K of power on 15 gallons will be a bit too much though. Good for heat up but you will most likely be able to drop back to 2000 or so for the main part of the run. Because of this the controller you build only needs to control one of the elements, the other just plug in and out.

Yeah pretty pumped with it! Yeah its overkill for sure, nice quick heat up though :) hmmm so about 2K should be enough for running yeah? I'm going to have to make a controller capable of controlling 2 elements for the brew pot anyway. I figgered being able to run both elements at 1/3 power would be nice anyway. It will keep the density down perhaps helping with scorching etc.

The last tip for it... I see you still have the sanke port for your still head. I might make this suggestion: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4#p7474094

Interesting! I had wondered what to do about that. I have seen 2 way PTFE gaskets specificly for that purpose. But that would make things much more simple huh!

The copper flange fits right inside the sanke and is 1. more stable 2. Easier to seat to prevent leaks.

Good luck and keep them coming!

PS: get used to that silly excited face, it's near permanent! It's something we call the "rabbit hole" and you done went and stumbled into it.... all downhill form here! Your face muscles will get sore from grinning like an idiot from now on! :mrgreen:
. . . . . . . . I am starting to understand the scale of the hole I have stumbled into . . . . :econfused: :lol:

bitter wrote:This is what you can look forward to with some stilling and some time on oak. Just bottled this UJSSM today.

B
mmmm nom nom nom nom! Thanks for the inspiration :wink:
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Jes2xu wrote: mmmm nom nom nom nom! Thanks for the inspiration :wink:
Patience grasshopper. That was some ujssm sugar head I made over a year ago.. Not doing sugar heads any more since last summer.. everything is all grain now. Ujssm is a great for starting out and learning the ropes on I like about 5% rye in mine.. makes for a nice drop when aged on oak.

B
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

bitter wrote:
Jes2xu wrote: mmmm nom nom nom nom! Thanks for the inspiration :wink:
Patience grasshopper. That was some ujssm sugar head I made over a year ago.. Not doing sugar heads any more since last summer.. everything is all grain now. Ujssm is a great for starting out and learning the ropes on I like about 5% rye in mine.. makes for a nice drop when aged on oak.

B
haha, Yeah I hear you!

I have no problem with long process. Im more excited by the tinkering and process than the drinking. Im the same way with brewing.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Time to get building!

The new plan to get up and running faster and testing the seond-hand copper for lead.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Hey J,
Great vid again.... It reminded me of something. While it is great that sometimes you can save a little money here and there (I'm all for reusing and repurposing)it should be mentioned that this is NOT an inexpensive hobby. No one will "save money" in the beginning (maybe after many successful runs and having a setup that has "paid for itself"). Also... spending a little money for piece of mind and assured health is not really spending money at all...

Keep 'em coming. :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

rgreen2002 wrote:Hey J,
Great vid again.... It reminded me of something. While it is great that sometimes you can save a little money here and there (I'm all for reusing and repurposing)it should be mentioned that this is NOT an inexpensive hobby. No one will "save money" in the beginning (maybe after many successful runs and having a setup that has "paid for itself"). Also... spending a little money for piece of mind and assured health is not really spending money at all...

Keep 'em coming. :mrgreen:

Thats a pretty good point. I may actually put a little segment about it into a video about that.

Had a discussion with someone recently (brewing not distilling) but it went something like:

" Yeah I will be saving like $200 every fortnight brewing like this"

. . . . But when was the last time you spent $200 a fortnight on beer without going to the pub? And what about that $2K you are about to drop on equipment? Electricity? Consumables? Ingredients? TIME??

Brewing made me realise pretty quick I do this stuff because its fun. Not to save $$ haha. In this situation saving the $$ is more about time. Getting running soon :) . . . . well that and not making wify angry with blown budgets ;)
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

If you count your time definitely not saving anything.. Totally agree but you can save a hangover if you take good cuts and be heathier.. because you are drinking quality.

I have problems with most store purchased stuff.. because the heads cut is bad.. it hurts my head.. 2 sips I'm done some times.. a sniff and ouch can't drink that.. Had a friend offered a shot for a very nice scotch cask strength.. could not get it past my nose without a migraine starting..

Time and practice and you will get it.. first few runs take really brutal cuts.. will get you drinking something decent faster... then as you learn and hone your senses.. you will learn were the lines are for your cuts with practice..

Also remember sugar heads are one thing all grain you almost need to learn everything again. Heads cut is easy for me.. tails is more tricky.. and many all grain tails tast really good to me.. but will take much more time to mellow.. stricter cuts and can drink it right off the still no oak even. The 100% barley I do is really nice with a tight center cut white.

B
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Comment on the shotgun...coolant in the bottom, out the top, baffles to disrupt the flow. Plenty of threads here to inform.
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Afterthought...best orientation for a shotty is vertical.
Coug95man2
Novice

Post by Coug95man2 »

I am an editor for a national tv show. The glitch you are going to find with YouTube is where Google(their parent company) will allow it to be seen. For example, I strongly doubt your videos would be allowed in the US because it's a federal crime. They strongly doubt they will allow that. Before you get too into this and pour hours of time and/or money into this, you might want to delve into YouTube/Googles "rules. They have a hard time with commercial music being used by consumers, let alone federal crimes being encouraged. Just a thought
"Time flies when your having Rum"
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

piperdave wrote:Afterthought...best orientation for a shotty is vertical.

Thanks for the other advice too!

I have heard this a few times now. Can you explain that to me? Is it just to mitigate air bubbles? Is this also true of other condensors?

Just wondering what the story is so I can apply the knowledge to other things too :)

Thanks man!
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

Coug95man2 wrote:I am an editor for a national tv show. The glitch you are going to find with YouTube is where Google(their parent company) will allow it to be seen. For example, I strongly doubt your videos would be allowed in the US because it's a federal crime. They strongly doubt they will allow that. Before you get too into this and pour hours of time and/or money into this, you might want to delve into YouTube/Googles "rules. They have a hard time with commercial music being used by consumers, let alone federal crimes being encouraged. Just a thought

I spent a LONG time agonizing about this before pulling the trigger. I spent a lot of time looking through the rules for that reason, and all I found was ambiguity.

I think there is a very real possibility that my channel will be flagged/blocked for AdSense. Or at the very least be labeled "AO" (which will really hurt AdSense). I would also not be surprised at all if I end up fighting the suggested content algorithm (among others) constantly, especially in the USA. However, there seems to be a precedent for these videos being able to stay on the platform (barley and hop etc) whether or not the videos are promoted/showen in the states seems a little harder to find out.

In any case, the $$ really isn't the main goal here. Although I am definitely going to be running the channel "as a business" it's not the only reason I am doing it.

After much debate I eventually, I decided to commit to a "one year trial", reassessing after. To be honest, I am already approaching most of the goals I set, so im happy with that!

I also took a wee bit of a gamble hoping that one day legalisation will spread. Whether that EVER happens remains to be seen! haha

As for the music, everything I have used so far I am licensed for through a paid DL. However, there are 2 songs in there that could cause me trouble. I didn't know how similar they are to other songs until after I uploaded. That was a mistake on my part. Guess I showed a little naivety there.

In any case, thanks a bunch for the advice/concern/etc. Gladly welcome more especially on the content creation front from someone with that kind of job!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

there are a fair few uninformed stilling videos out on youtube, can't see why they would be allowed and jesses wouldn't.
In saying that its hardy unheard of decisions being made that don't make sense
Don't be a dick
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

look at the west coast exterminator, he's been on for years so I don't think Jesse has anything to worry about
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

@vertical... reduces pooling and smearing as I understand it.
Jes2xu
Swill Maker

Post by Jes2xu »

So I took a jump into brazing.

It's not pretty that's for sure, but it was fun as shit. Im guessing there are lots of people around here that can set me straight on the mistakes I made. And probably a few people that have been wondering what does this for the first time would be like.

BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

All of the stainless and copper joining I've done so far has been using the same techniques used in soldering copper pipe for home plumbing. Pretty new to it myself, but I get the feeling the route you went and materials you used were due to availability.

With the silver solder and flux I was using, you indeed wanted to use indirect heat, else you might burn the flux. And used a much much smaller flame throughout the process.