I hate a thief

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kareltje
Distiller

Re: I hate a thief

Post by Kareltje »

Sound rules, if you ask me. We have the same rules.
Until recently when you hurted a thief or ran him over and catched him, you were treated as a suspect. That was not law, it was police practice. A few years ago this rule was eased.
But it still is not legal to hurt someone who is running away.

Just recently there was a case of three thieves that were spotted by a homecoming couple. The thieves ran away, the couple took a car of a passing pizzacourier and smashed one of the thieves between the car and a wall.
I think this is a very interesting case. But for the couple it must be ruining. In several ways.

I do understand the anger and the mistrust when you find out someone has stolen things that are precious or important to you. But I am glad that laws protect me against other peoples anger and other people against my anger.

Now I quit. I go stilling some Geist.
Stainless
Swill Maker

Post by Stainless »

Had this problem before, 6ft3 junkie tries to steal my tools from shed in gated garden with 5ft fence. I chased him over the fence ( yep I vaulted the fence to catch, unfortunately , the bastard saw me trip and jumped on me and produced a n 8" stilletto !!!!! Fuckin piece o shit tried to stab me in the head,,,,, ended up with 13 holes in my head where the knife went in and ran around my skull coz I fightin him.
prick ran away and then came back 5mins later,,,, I'm 5 10 n 140 lbs but was fuckin fit at the time from fixin trucks, well,,,, he got a faceful of 7lb hammer with a wee short (18") shaft.
I got charged with attempted murder ,, but eventually charges got dropped.
Every time the arsehole looks in a mirror he will be remembering who it was who put him in facial traction for months, maybe years. I love the sound of breaking bones.
I HATE FUCKIN THIEVES
Luceo Non Uro
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Rural Ireland. Elderly farmers terrified of scum. This man got locked up and let go over the uproar over it. Proper order too.

A FARMER charged with the manslaughter of a Traveller shot him, beat him black and blue with a stick and shot him again as he limped away, it was claimed at the Central Criminal Court yesterday. Padraig Nally (62), of Funshinaugh Cross, Claremorris, in Mayo, has pleaded not guilty to the unlawful killing of father-of-11 John "Frog" Ward after he entered Nally's land more than two years ago.

A FARMER charged with the manslaughter of a Traveller shot him, beat him black and blue with a stick and shot him again as he limped away, it was claimed at the Central Criminal Court yesterday.

Padraig Nally (62), of Funshinaugh Cross, Claremorris, in Mayo, has pleaded not guilty to the unlawful killing of father-of-11 John "Frog" Ward after he entered Nally's land more than two years ago.

Ward, with an address at Carrowbone Halting Site on the outskirts of Galway city, died almost immediately after the second shot entered his body during the incident on October 14, 2004.

A jury of eight men and four women was sworn in yesterday to hear the case, which opened before Justice Kevin O'Higgins in Dublin.

Outlining the general facts of the case for the prosecution, senior counsel Paul O'Higgins said the incident had occurred after Nally heard a car revving outside his house.

When he went outside to investigate, he found Tom Ward, a member of the Travelling community, and he asked "words to the effect of 'Where was the other fellow?' believing Tom Ward was not likely to be on his own."

Mr Ward said another man - his father John Ward (42) - was round the back "having a look". At this point, Mr O'Higgins said, "Nally said words to the effect that 'He would not be coming out again'".

He said jury members would hear of the suspicion of the farmer that Ward was "up to no good" and was there to commit burglary or steal from some part of the farmyard. Padraig Nally got a shotgun from a shed and went to his back door, where he found John Ward. He shot at him from a distance of four or five yards and inflicted a wound on his right hand and hip.

It was not fatal. two men then got involved in a struggle, before Nally started to hit the other man with a stick. "He then beat John Ward black and blue," Mr O'Higgins said.

He said there were eight full lacerations to Ward's skull, exposing the underlying bone. He said there were more than 25 bruises to his body and his nose was broken.

There was also a break to his left forearm, suggestive of a defensive-type injury.

Mr O'Higgins said Nally had described the beating as "like hitting a badger or a stone. You could hit him but you could not kill him".
There would be evidence that Nally had heard Tom Ward drive away, he added.

John Ward was lying in a bed of nettles and had begun to attempt to stumble out of the yard when Nally went back into his shed, got the shotgun and three more cartridges.

By this time, John Ward was either out on the roadway or stumbling or limping towards it, and had turned right onto the road when Nally followed him and shot him again.

The second shot went through his left arm, back out and through the left-hand side of his chest into his lungs, "killing him almost immediately".

Mr O'Higgins said Nally then took Ward's body and "heaved it over some wall" before driving to a neighbour's house, where the gardai were called.

Mr O'Higgins said it was the prosecution's case "that the killing in these circumstances was not and could not be a lawful killing".

"There is not a death penalty, so to speak, for burglary in this country," he added.

The case has been adjourned and will continue tomorrow.

It is expected to run into next week.

Should have made him die slower.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
johnnyv
Novice

Post by johnnyv »

About six years ago my wife and I were burgled, took Thai cash from holidays and jewelry mostly.
My wife got home first and the door was open, they had smashed a window and left the door open when they left.
She went inside without thinking that they still might be in there which is frightening to me!

Although our insurers were wonderful, literally no proof of cash and most of the jewelry they paid out very generously and promptly a lot of it was irreplaceable due to sentimental value.
The police didn't show up until the next day and looked for fingerprints not finding anything useful after they left my wife found a blood stain on some shear curtain so they came back and collected for a DNA sample.
Nothing came of it until five years later when they caught the guy robbing someone else and got a DNA match for our house.
Police told us they were then prosecuting him for our burglary as well as whatever else they caught him for doing.
Not long after called by the police saying the judge let him off as it was his "first" offense, apparently some judges are unable to count.
Pisses me off.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

As this thread is still active, I want to share some results of a survey of a magazine on its website. Question: "How do you stop a thief?" Apparently assuming you will catch him in the act, which most times is not the case.
10 % would like to shoot him (in a country where guns are not allowed and hardly anyone has one!)
35 % would like to hurt him severely
26 % would like to catch him themselves
22 % would like the police to catch him
6 % would like to seriously discuss with him about his motives
(Of course: a him could also be a her: female thieves do exist.)
Of these respondents some have weapons at hand:
35 % a hockeystick or the like
27 % a knife
9 % an axe of other heavy tool
73 % has a phone alongside the bed to be able to call the police.

The group of respondents is not a representation of the whole population and in other countries the responses will probably be different. But to me it was reassuring that only 10 % was willing to kill a thief or burglar. So 90 % was wiser or more reasonable.

Unfortunately the minority that likes to kill people also has the loudest voice.

Frankly: I know the urge to kill for much lesser crimes and am happy that we may not carry weapons.
And I have been robbed, so I know the feeling and anger and mistrust.
I live in a neighbourhood I think is very safe, but the inhabitants before me had an alarm on both entrance doors, bars at the backdoor and automatic lights at the side and the back of the house.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Kareltje wrote:As this thread is still active, I want to share some results of a survey of a magazine on its website. Question: "How do you stop a thief?" Apparently assuming you will catch him in the act, which most times is not the case.
10 % would like to shoot him (in a country where guns are not allowed and hardly anyone has one!)
27 % a knife

The group of respondents is not a representation of the whole population and in other countries the responses will probably be different. But to me it was reassuring that only 10 % was willing to kill a thief or burglar. So 90 % was wiser or more reasonable.

Unfortunately the minority that likes to kill people also has the loudest voice.

Frankly: I know the urge to kill for much lesser crimes and am happy that we may not carry weapons.
I live in a neighbourhood I think is very safe, but the inhabitants before me had an alarm on both entrance doors, bars at the backdoor and automatic lights at the side and the back of the house.
This attitude is disgusting to me. You claim to be a victim but think you are above anger and revenge. Move on before I puke.

AC
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

acfixer69 wrote:
Kareltje wrote:As this thread is still active, I want to share some results of a survey of a magazine on its website. Question: "How do you stop a thief?" Apparently assuming you will catch him in the act, which most times is not the case.
27 % a knife

This attitude is disgusting to me. You claim to be a victim but think you are above anger and revenge. Move on before I puke.

AC
+1 . Piss on the ground and make foam , declare yourself a man , and be responsible for your own well being .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I live in a stand your ground state, and firmly believe in the right to protect

my self, my family, and my property. I fully support law enforcement.

however if you kick in my door, you could die, and the law is on my side.

there are rules of engagement that must be followed,

so knowing and following the law is paramount.

THIS IS HOW NOT TO ACT IN A STAND YOUR GROUND STATE.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... on-county/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

acfixer69 I wrote it out then deleted MY comments about programing, subjects, and victims.

Shineon best of luck.
be water my friend
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I don't care much for polls, generally the poller engineers the poll or survey to get a predetermined result. That said I see somewhat both points of view to an extent. Life is precious and death effects more then the victim of it, it can't be undone. Would I use lethal force on a thief? Well now if I thought my safety or that of my friends or family were threatened that's an easy answer, to be sure I caught the if robbing me I would take any action to fuck that bastard up safeguard or recover my property etc. I am well aware of my and others prepencidy to use " what ever force seen necessary" . I have protected myself and property without malice or prejudice and it does scare me a little how that could have gone. On revenge, yeah if I could positively identify who stole most of my tools and my children's quad and games at a time I couldn't replace them I just might fuck that mongrel piece of shit up, its called an eye for an eye. Want him/ them dead? Hmm easy answer is maybe it wouldn't cause me to mourn but reality I'd be happy to know they got a damn good flogging and wouldnt be as likely to destroy another life in the way they fucked me up. It really is a disgraceful excuse of a human that would steal a battlers way of providing from himself and his family. Such ppl have no empathy no morals and no remorse and that alone makes the a danger to society.
Its find to quote liberal love in views but you come home or wake to asailents that are a clear and an immediate threat to yourself and or your family. All that liberal shit is going to go right out the window and the very natural instinct of self preservation is going to kick in which is not likely to include a phone call in the heat of the moment, hell around here you'd be lucky to get a response the same day.
Let's keep it slightly real eh
Edit: see there is a bunch of posts while I was writing, hmm see how slow phones are :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

acfixer69 wrote:
Kareltje wrote:

AC
My bold: No, I do not claim that. But there is more in human life than anger and revenge.

Get real: shit happens, puking over it does not help much.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Not sure if you're just trolling or playing the devils advocate, but obviously you're in the minority here. Not that a minority means wrong, just that its a waste of bandwidth to keep trying to encourage a change in someone's personal views.
If you're robbed, you'll hide in the closet and call the cops and then justify that you had more possessions than the poor robber so it's not really the robbers fault..got it. That's you.

Others here wouldn't act the same. Not right or wrong, just different.

I would hope all can agree that anyone who steals (whether as a living or a hobby) is a piece of shit. Of course this is western mentality that believes its wrong to steal. Many eastern countries don't view thieves as any different trade than any other. That's their mentality.

Here, thieving is wrong and should be punished. The amount of punishment varies from place to place but it must be serious enough to dissuade the thief from returning. In a lot of cases, the only guaranteed punishment is being shot. (even if they don't die)

I wish we had stand your ground and castle laws here. Why? Because it would only effect criminals in a negative manner. It would cut down on bullshit court cases and innocent victims being treated as criminals by the police until they were proven innocent in court. It's a no-brainer.

And as far as the hand wringing "every life is precious" bullshit, sorry, maybe I'm a narcissist, but not every life is precious. Hell I feel more for an animal being tortured than a human. Humans put themselves in stupid positions and deserve what they get, animals, not so much. Wrap up some toilet paper roles to look like dynamite and strap them to your chest and run through a mall, when they shoot you don't cry "it was only toilet paper rolls". You set yourself up for failure and you succeeded in failing as a human. Same as when you decide to steal from other people. You set yourself up to be shot when you broke into the home, moreso if you were carrying a weapon. your a thief, fuck you, put down like a mad dog.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

goinbroke2 wrote:Not sure if you're just trolling or playing the devils advocate, but obviously you're in the minority here. Yes. But he's not alone. But I have no desire posting here at the moment. It would end like in the %$§ snow thread.

I would hope all can agree that anyone who steals (whether as a living or a hobby) is a piece of shit. Of course this is western mentality that believes its wrong to steal. Many eastern countries don't view thieves as any different trade than any other. That's their mentality.
ROFL
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

What I find hard to fathom/believe is that 6% of the Netherlands would like to sit and discuss the issues with a home invader/ thief, 6% is over 1,100,000 people. I can imagine how that survey was worded. Of the three Dutch guys I know pretty well I wouldn't recommend crossing any of them without a good medical plan. Dunno maybe living in Oz has made them staunch but I highly doubt it
I should mention these three are around my dads age and none of them would take any bull shit from anyone :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

Not a good idea to ever say what you would do or wouldn't do in writing for any situation like this. How many people got busted for intent based on something thing they said on social media, even years in the past.

If someone wants to find out what your response would be, just let them find out. Unless of course it would be like that 6% or similar....
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

For GB: we don't have stand your ground laws, but you can still choose to be tried by jury.

maybe 10, 15 years ago a (Chinese..i think, let's say "asian", you'll see why i bring this up later) electronics store owner in Edmonton was getting continued B&E's at his store. He had a burg alarm, he spent money barring up the windows so he looked like he was working a prison, shatterproof glass, barricades in front the doors, all to no avail....
He started sleeping there, with a .22 ...and sure enough, a few nights later...Bingo! the creeps smashed in and he came down the stairs shooting. Caught one crook in the ass with a well placed shot.
They arrested him, i recall the charge being attempted murder, illegal possession, illegal discharge. He wisely got a great liar ahem..lawyer and chose trial by jury.
it did not take long and they returned a not guilty verdict.
He earned some respect and the nickname "Crint Eastwood". and that was spoke with admiration, not with the usual sarcastic racist twist.
I have not heard of any further break ins at his store. He is still there working hard and feeding his family. Helluva nice guy.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

HDNB wrote:For GB: we don't have stand your ground laws, but you can still choose to be tried by jury.

maybe 10, 15 years ago a (Chinese..i think, let's say "asian", you'll see why i bring this up later) electronics store owner in Edmonton was getting continued B&E's at his store. He had a burg alarm, he spent money barring up the windows so he looked like he was working a prison, shatterproof glass, barricades in front the doors, all to no avail....
He started sleeping there, with a .22 ...and sure enough, a few nights later...Bingo! the creeps smashed in and he came down the stairs shooting. Caught one crook in the ass with a well placed shot.
They arrested him, i recall the charge being attempted murder, illegal possession, illegal discharge. He wisely got a great liar ahem..lawyer and chose trial by jury.
it did not take long and they returned a not guilty verdict.
He earned some respect and the nickname "Crint Eastwood". and that was spoke with admiration, not with the usual sarcastic racist twist.
I have not heard of any further break ins at his store. He is still there working hard and feeding his family. Helluva nice guy.
Good to hear, there was the same thing going on in Fredericton several years ago(5-7?) and the robbers took off and jumped in a white full size van, as they were going the owner of the store ran out and put 2 or 3 shotgun blasts into the back of the van. I don't remember if anyone was hurt but he was charged with all the usual bullshit. Took a year or so and lots of $$$ to go through the courts, a follow up story shortly after had him selling the place and moving. It was either a "needs" or "7-11" type store.

The old saying, rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6. :ewink:

(course he could of called the cops for the umpteenth time and filled out yet another useless report and filed yet another insurance claim which would put his premium that much again higher......gee, don't know why he followed the violent route after the 10th break in... :roll: )

What's funny is ignoring someone trying to bait you because their panties are in a bunch :lol:
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

thecroweater wrote:What I find hard to fathom/believe is that 6% of the Netherlands would like to sit and discuss the issues with a home invader/ thief, 6% is over 1,100,000 people. I can imagine how that survey was worded. Of the three Dutch guys I know pretty well I wouldn't recommend crossing any of them without a good medical plan. Dunno maybe living in Oz has made them staunch but I highly doubt it
I should mention these three are around my dads age and none of them would take any bull shit from anyone :lol:
I too was very surprised about that. I myself turned out in the middle: inflicting some pain and injury and then calling the police.

Two cases to illustrate what our laws do.
In one case some workers at a supermarket went after a shoplifter and catched him. So far so good. But when he was lying on the ground they kicked him a few times in the head. They were convicted for this excessive violence.

In another case a woman was followed by two men who tried to rape her in an elevator. Thanks to earlier experiences she had a gun and had practiced its use. She shot both men, wounding them serverely, but one kept on coming, so she shot him again. At last he fled and died around the block. The judge spoke her free of murder or manslaughter because of understandable and necessary excess of selfdefense but she got a fine for unlawfull possession of a gun.

I agree with both outcomes.

I may be a minority in this discussion, but that does not prove I am wrong or stupid. But it is my experience that the rougher side of the scale (killing) also has a louder voice than the softer side (sitting and talking). So they seem to dominate the discussion and I am too stubborn to let that pass. I gladly debate with a possum, if need be.
justsomeguy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by justsomeguy »

I have never shot a thief, or at least shot a guy for being a thief. I have however defended my life and the lives of those around me literally hundreds of times or more. I am a firm believer that if a person is a problem there is only one way to make sure they wont be in the future. I have served as judge, jury and executioner more times than I can remember. If I feel threatened in any way I will react accordingly. My wife calls it "going to work" in our home defense plan. Criminals and terrorists are one in the same if you ask me. The world is better off without them and I dont mind making the world a better place.

Karaitje you can have that opinion, I think its wrong but its not my job to tell you what is right for you and yours. Please just keep your beliefs in your country. I will keep mine in mine.
45 ACP..... Turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

It's Gods job to judge a thief, I just arrange the meeting.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Rng4 wrote:It's Gods job to judge a thief, I just arrange the meeting.
Or the thief will arrange your meeting.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Or this thread can stop the two opposing views and every view between has been presented.
Rng4
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rng4 »

I plan to meet my maker one day. Whenever he is ready for me, I'm ready to go.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

justsomeguy wrote:I have never shot a thief, or at least shot a guy for being a thief. I have however defended my life and the lives of those around me literally hundreds of times or more. I am a firm believer that if a person is a problem there is only one way to make sure they wont be in the future. I have served as judge, jury and executioner more times than I can remember. If I feel threatened in any way I will react accordingly. My wife calls it "going to work" in our home defense plan. Criminals and terrorists are one in the same if you ask me. The world is better off without them and I dont mind making the world a better place.
So if you think a person is a problem, you have the right or even the duty to make sure he/she will never be a problem again by killing him?
I can not believe you really think that is the right way to behave in life. The worlds population would be severely diminished if that was everybody's attitude.
Karaitje you can have that opinion, I think its wrong but its not my job to tell you what is right for you and yours. Please just keep your beliefs in your country. I will keep mine in mine.
Please do.
(Although I suspect you exported your vision to other countries. But that is far beyond this discussion and I would not hold that against you.)
Last edited by Kareltje on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

So now we are going to talk about some kind of god?
My god, Octopus Paul, the true Creator of deep sees, high lands and cloudy skies, does not care about thieves.
Personal property is not really important to Him. As long as one can use the tools one needs, there is no problem.
But on the other tentacle: one has to respect the personal belongings or preferences of a person. Taking them away is a matter of violating someones personality. And that is forbidden.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Kareltje wrote:But on the other tentacle: one has to respect the personal belongings or preferences of a person. Taking them away is a matter of violating someones personality.
So many tentacles, so little time.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

der wo wrote:
Exactly. That is why you can't take chances when someone invades your home and drop them on the spot.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

pfshine wrote:
der wo wrote:
Exactly. That is why you can't take chances when someone invades your home and drop them on the spot.
:clap:

You just can't count on the fact that justsomeguy is gonna get them all for you. I absolutely support JSG's efforts...and i mean whole heartedly, but you have to be able to take care of you and your'n...otherwise all his good work is gone to waste.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.