2017 BC Distilled!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

2017 BC Distilled!

Post by aircarbonarc »

https://bcdistilled.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Going to be attending this fine event tonight, finally more young BC Whisky(s) will be released. Will be lots of generic craft vodkas (unmalted wheat and enzymes) to sip on and a few amazing gins. I'll post a review once I sober up tomorrow morning.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2017 BC Distilled!

Post by Bigbob »

Good luck, my experience at the last two proofs in Seattle was most new distillerys need more time aging. Also working on cuts, some where ok but most I found to be pretty much undrinkable. It was fun going with a few of the PNW crowd so we could compare notes. Got any body else going with you up there?
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

wish i could tag up with you there but still too buried in work playing catch up from recent adventures to make another trip.

Have fun and have a shot for us too!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

So - how did it go? Anything to note?
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

glenlyon wrote:So - how did it go? Anything to note?

damn, he must be hung over. Are they dumping heads in there air-arc?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I was planning on attending but it ended up the same week we have our condo at the canal :x
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Sorry for the late reply, woke up with a lovely hangover yesterday because the some of the BC Brandy was quite good.

I was pretty disappointed with the whiskies well I was expecting that. First was Okangan distillers BRBN it can't be called Bourbon because, well it's made in Canada and they only use 56% Corn and the rest is 2row, it's been aged in New oak barrels and was kind of good, it was pretty tasty, a bit generic and just didn't have soul. The next best was my Lohin and McKinnon from Central City, this one I am sort of partial to because I'm friends with the head Distiller and it's a nice easy drinking light single malt whisky. It doesn't have the character of pot stilled Scottish single malt, but has a nice cleanliness and good flavor. Very fruity, some vanilla and bourbon notes, I had a bottle given to me it was great, the batch #2 has promise and so do the other whiskies they will be releasing over the next couple years. They have great barrel stocks and great spirits! Shelter Point distillery was probably the best one there, they have a double pot stilled single malt offered and a lovely blended cask strength also. I can see them doing very well in the future. The other whiskies were disappointing, Pemberton distillers had thier old potatoe sack tasting liquor, some other ones were nice tasting fine grain Spirit turned into oak tea. G&W also had their half aged grain Spirit called resporato, it's ok but it's just immature whiskey which has actually caused a few grumbles in the local craft liquor market.

Gin.. well gin was there, I stayed away from it because some were great, and I didn't want to fill my blood alcohol quota with gin. Okanagan distillers and my friends at Gillespie's have the best gin so far in BC.

Vodka.. well it was the same as last year, maybe a couple new guys. Arbutus Distillers out of Nanimo BC had a really flavorful smooth and quite enjoyable 100% 2row malt vodka. It had some slight notes of chocolate and orange. Unruly distillers was there, so was thier amazing vodka which is made from 100% honey, some island water and a proprietary yeast strain. I visited the Distillery last fall and the Distiller wouldn't even tell me the closest living relative his yeast has. He's very protective of his secret and rightly so, Unruly Vodka is probably heaven in Vodka form. It's got sweetness, it's viscous and thick, smooth, coats your tongue and it would be a sin to mix this amazing liquor. Then we can always thank the science gods for that amazing vodka that's coming from Vancouver island called Ampersand Distillers. It's a family owned distillery, a crazy inventor father, a very smart chemical engineer son and his wife who created thier gin and other offerings. Thier vodka is clean, smooth and just wants to be quiet but loud at the same time. The still they designed and built took them a year and is filled with mystery packing and trays only a mad scientist would understand. I think they figure it's 1000x distilled and goes through a cosmic rejuvenation somewhere in the still.

There were great liqeurs, Son's of Vancouver had their Amaretto, great stuff, there were variations of gin, some pink gin from a friendly distillery up in East Kootenays near the small town of Kimberly and all types of limocillo. I tried a nice ouzo, Sheringham distillers had a really amazing AKVAVIT, and I tried others I was drunk and don't remember.

Brandies were out this year, Maple Leaf Spirits in Penticton BC had the best out of all of them. They are ran by a nice German couple with experience distilling fruit. I did drink a few extra samples of brandy throughout the evening and that's what made my head hurt.

For a notable mention, Anderson Distillery was really cool, a small new Distillery with an interesting culture isolated from nearby Burnaby lake. True North Distillers from Grand Forks BC had a really nice sugar cane spirit, great flavor and I shared my Jaggery contact with them.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

aircarbonarc wrote: There were great liqeurs, Son's of Vancouver had their Amaretto, great stuff,
I like what they produce out of their 4" still, kinda like what a lot of us are doing here

OVZ
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Oldvine Zin wrote:
aircarbonarc wrote: There were great liqeurs, Son's of Vancouver had their Amaretto, great stuff,
I like what they produce out of their 4" still, kinda like what a lot of us are doing here

OVZ
I have to stop by the Distillery sometime, I've talked to them a couple times, great guys.