Taking some time off

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

Taking some time off

Post by Shine0n »

I've been working out of town as of late and my weekends are full of things I just can't get to during the week days.

Plus I've been contemplating on rebuilding my still/thumper.
I currently have have a pot (15.5 gal keg) with a 7.5 gal thumper and a 5/8" worm.
I have 3-15.5 kegs and a 7.75 quarter keg and I've been looking at builds and I've decided to go ahead and do it instead of trying to find running times during my limited time at home.

Also do away with the worm!!! I may turn it into a wort chiller for my AG mashes.

My plan is to rebuild totally, taking out the 7.5 gal thumper and use 15.5 keg for the boiler and thumper. I will also make a 36"lg 3/4" over 1/2" liebig all connected with triclamp/ferrule and union connections.

I've received my tc and ferrules with gaskets and will go to Lowes or furguson plumbing supply for the remainder of parts as they are half the price of my local supply shop.

I plan on documenting this build in its appropriate thread in the coming weeks and will take advice and encouragement on the works.

Shine0n
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Taking some time off

Post by Still Life »

Hell you've had some busy, productive and fretful times this last month or so.
Good luck to you and we'll see you on the flip side.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Build your liebig 1" over 3/4" with a 36" water jacket and try to over power it.
Be safe have fun. Catch you on the next go round
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I plan on doing some reading, posting and staying on here to get more knowledge from you fine folk, I'm just swamped during the weekend. I have a three year old in 2 weeks and the planning for the party has been overwhelming, it should be easy but my wife is going overboard. Like a lot lol

I can do this build in a couple days if i were at home but I'm not soo...weeks!!!

It's good though, I needed a break anyway. My still hand hasn't been doing shit, I got back last Friday and the fermenter is still sitting there with the last run (HBB) grains still in it from 2 weeks ago, his pig got my cornmeal and I'm about done with him. (LAZY)

I ain't going nowhere, I just needed a break.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Looking forward to your new build. Keep us posted. We'll still be here, plugging away at the "perfect drink".
Cheers

GH
Lko67
Novice

Post by Lko67 »

Take it from me enjoy them younguns while you can things can change in an instant I'm on to grandkids know drop anything I'm doing when they come around was to busy making a living when my kids were young (getting enough for college and just giving them basic needs) then I got lymes disease and f##ked my life up luckily my kids were grown but put me in a good place enjoy every day! Take time and enjoy!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

This past weekend being easter and next weekend my little guy turns 3. Then 3 weeks from now my wife has a birthday, I thought I'd have more time for... life! Shit man I'm non stop, I need a vacation is what I need. Lol
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

Lko67 wrote:Take it from me enjoy them younguns while you can things can change in an instant I'm on to grandkids know drop anything I'm doing when they come around was to busy making a living when my kids were young (getting enough for college and just giving them basic needs) then I got lymes disease and f##ked my life up luckily my kids were grown but put me in a good place enjoy every day! Take time and enjoy!
Serious words of wisdom. I don't have grandchildren yet, but I'll stop the whole world for them once I do. The only regrets I have in life are the times I missed out on with the kids.
Some men you jest cain't reach...
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

jb-texshine wrote:Build your liebig 1" over 3/4" with a 36" water jacket and try to over power it.
Be safe have fun. Catch you on the next go round
Dimple that 3/4 into a twisting, triangular shape to maximize the surface area.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

When I'm not working I'm with them youngins, I'm a big kid myself! I play in dirt with big ass toys all day and get paid to do it.

DBC, I liked your design on the liebig and thought about doing something like that, hell man I've enjoyed reading your thread and you're well on your way.

I've missed quite a bit working at the shipyard and I'm no longer there but my work still brings me out from time to time but I'm home on the weekends unlike the shit yard.

I have a decent stock to hold me over and I don't drink all that much anyway. I'm too damn busy and I don't like my kids to see me all drunken and shit, I'll enjoy a snort or two on the weekends doing my thing, my likker goes to the big 3 parties I throw on Memorial Day, the 4th and labor day.

If yall are ever in VA hit me up and I may have 3 or 4 lol
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

Shine0n wrote:When I'm not working I'm with them youngins, I'm a big kid myself! I play in dirt with big ass toys all day and get paid to do it.

DBC, I liked your design on the liebig and thought about doing something like that, hell man I've enjoyed reading your thread and you're well on your way.

I've missed quite a bit working at the shipyard and I'm no longer there but my work still brings me out from time to time but I'm home on the weekends unlike the shit yard.

I have a decent stock to hold me over and I don't drink all that much anyway. I'm too damn busy and I don't like my kids to see me all drunken and shit, I'll enjoy a snort or two on the weekends doing my thing, my likker goes to the big 3 parties I throw on Memorial Day, the 4th and labor day.

If yall are ever in VA hit me up and I may have 3 or 4 lol
Thanks for the invite. I have kids spread all over the country and once I finally retire I'll be traveling all over to see them. Making a side trip to meet new folks sounds like a great way to spend some time, and sharing some shine is a great reason as well.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

ShineOn
Enjoy your break and looking forward to your return - fully charged ! I'm thinking of you bud.
Jim
Lko67
Novice

Post by Lko67 »

Enjoy the kids and wife they are all that matters in the long run. I spent to much time making money when my kids were young, missed them growing up pretty much but was able to get them thru college and married of with no loans and they understood that so it was good and know when grandkids come don't even think of doing anything when they are there, kids remember the small things
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

You guys bout made me tear up. Thinking about my lil man 16months old waving bye to me today as I left for work. I have not rocked him to sleep in months, and I can never get that time back. But still, the food will not put itself on the table so I must work.

Shine im just about two hours south of you. I need to try to make it up there for a drink some time.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Lko67
Novice

Post by Lko67 »

That's a fun age still
But agree about the work though but there will come a time when you won't have to work as hard hopefully
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

StillLearning1 wrote:You guys bout made me tear up. Thinking about my lil man 16months old waving bye to me today as I left for work. I have not rocked him to sleep in months, and I can never get that time back. But still, the food will not put itself on the table so I must work.

Shine im just about two hours south of you. I need to try to make it up there for a drink some time.
Sounds like a plan my friend, I'm always open for visitors.
I feel your pain by having to leave for work but we do what is necessary to provide a good life for them little ones.

I'll be working in south va beach for a couple weeks but only during the week and returning home for the weekends.
How far south are you from there?
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

ShineOn, enjoy your break! Enjoy your family with all your heart! Blink twice and they are grown and gone. My wife and I are expecting a call any day to go baby sit two of our Grandson's while their little Brother makes his grand entrance. A man blessed with a good wife and his own children is blessed indeed! Loving them with your time is the wisest investment of the time you have been given!
I look forward to seeing your new build!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Just sayin, thanks for the kind words! Very much appreciated!
I've enjoyed my family time for sure and now it's time to get back to business, stillin!!!
My family always comes first and I had to make a choice I can walk away from stillin without a problem ( maybe lol)
But now I have my parts for to finish my build so that's the plan for tomorrow morning and I'm posting in the appropriate thread about this experience.

My stock of sippin likker is dwindling down and it's time for me to shit or get off the pot. Lol

I'm here all the time in the forums reading and learning and helping as best I can to those who ask and do some of their own work before hand. I've not been on here reading and not learned something, this damn rabbit hole is deeeeep!!!

Shine0n
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Good your back.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well hell, I thought I was back... my work has been relentless and I haven't had time for nothing but work and one day off a week if killing me!
I really miss setting up and running the still, I'll probably have to do a good steaming run to clean this thing out!