Irma

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Irma

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Looks like Irma is thinking about going to Miami. I know we have a lot of members in Florida. Stay safe!
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Irma

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Wish everyone in Irma's path the best, do stay safe.
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Gov. Deal (GA) has declared a state of emergency for the six coastal counties of GA this afternoon. FLorida is on the interstates. I-95 north was heavy with traffic this afternoon but moving along at a nice pace. Dummies buying cart loads of bottles water rather than buckets to store it in. Irma looking to be here on Monday some time but where exactly is still unknown. Winds will be higher this year than with Matthew October 2016at 75-110 along GA coast. Up to 135 this time depending. Also, we have been having rain this summer like we used to when I was a little boy mad about not being able to play in the yard. The ground is wet and standing water in many places. This will make the trees easier to topple over along the coast and inland probably moreso. I will be in the emergency operations center during the blow but will be doing damage assessment at the earliest opportunity. It will not be as bad on GA as it will FL. Glad to see many leaving already. I hope my theory of most of the weak trees blew down last year holds true. I had 5 days with no power last year, maybe it wont be as long this round. Pray that it glances east and heads off to die itself out.
Needless to say I will not be attending Truckorama 2017 damn the luck. I was going to just show up unannounced.
GA Flatwoods
Attachments
2017-09-05-21-38-37-870002636.png
2017-09-05-21-38-37-870002636.png (213 Bytes) Viewed 2634 times
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Feel for all our members that are in arms way please heed the warnings and be safe. Traffic on the news out of the keys looked slow and I was surprised some folks were actually heading south. I thought they should have closed the southbound lane and opened it for traveling in the opposite direction.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yes one I have met is a tug captain down there, hope he is safe and his boat isn't damaged.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

90-95% of buildings on Barbuda destroyed. 95% of Saint Martin reported destroyed. 189 mph sustained winds!
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

About as poor timing as any uncultured storm could have picked . Fucked up our party and is putting our friends at risk at the same time . Hunker down and hold on . We'll be there to help if you need us once the storm has blown through .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Uncle Jesse wrote:90-95% of buildings on Barbuda destroyed. 95% of Saint Martin reported destroyed. 189 mph sustained winds!
I'm overwhelmed with the power of this storm . Gonna take a lot to recover from this one .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Uncle Jesse wrote:90-95% of buildings on Barbuda destroyed. 95% of Saint Martin reported destroyed. 189 mph sustained winds!
Insane. almost incomprehensible. basically a 400 mile wide tornado. :shock:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

And my in-laws are refusing to evacuate. They are a little north of Miami, slightly inland. Storm surge maps show their area is ok even at level 5 flood levels. I hope the storm decides to calm down and go back out to sea. Good luck everyone it's path.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Thinkn Larry @ StillDragon may be the southern most Florida member here thats gonna be a direct hit ifn the models are correct.
Let us pray it turns.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

The neighbor kid works for Elliott power line construction.
He just left Texas for Orlando.....
Looks like this one might be a bad one.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

There's never a good one . Just a lot of good people that rise to the call when there is a need .
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

I have been given my orders. I will be in the emergency operations center for the duration beginning Saturday evening. Also will be one of the first boots on the ground once this sumbitch passes for the purpose of damage assessmemts. I am afraid that Hurricanes of the past for our area will look like thunderstorms next to this one. It has been raining in the flatwoods with regularity for the past two months now. The ground is pretty wet already. Trees will render that did not last time if for no other reason than the moist soil all things being the same compared to Hurricane Matthew. The wind dont bother me none, the elevation of my farm does. I live 1500' from a salt river that is about four miles inland from the beach off a sound that runs due east with a slight turn to 210* bearing for about a mile. From that river a salt creek runs east west that has a transitional fresh water wetland strand that ties into it on each side of me south to north. My house sits at 13.5msl and is the highest spot on 20 acres. It is subject to become a castle with a moat. God I pray not. I feel for the folks caught up in the exodus from Florida. Already there is barely anywhere to go once you get to Georgia. As of this posting, the entire Florida penisula will be impacted since it has shown evidence of a more westward predicted path. My wife wants to stay home. No storm surge 30 miles inland at my sister's but she is stubborn. We shall see how resilient she is I guess. Of course, it would have to be the week of the higher than normal spring tides as well. A northeastern wind predicating the higher tides from the 'cane+storm surge may not be a pretty sight for my neighbors and I on the Florida, Georgia, or Carolina coasts. Damn it-i have pretty sugar cane growing right now too! It can survive the wind but I dont know about a storm surge. Time shall tell.
Irma, as for you, look up Popcorns final words written in stone! :lolno:
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

We have a house in south Fort Myers (San Carlos Park). We are above flood level and it is a concrete block house and has hurricane shutters on it. I think that we might be OK, but my prayers go out to our neighbors. May you all be safe, and get out and find shelter if there is a chance that you are in the surge area.

Be safe and God bless, neighbors.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

There will be much prayer for all those in the path of this beast.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Yall keep your heads down for those in the path of Irma
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

We'll do our best I did up my first try with mashing rice with enzymes if the power doesn't go out I'll have something to run afterwards
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Looks bad on the TV hope you guys are doing fine
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

We finally got our power back but many still don't have it
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

It could have been worse for the Georgia coast. Only half as bad as Hurricane Matthew but more storm surge that flooded more homes than last time. Been busy working for county government chasing damage assessments and tree damages. Had about 40% of my sugar cane layed over but not blown down. Resilient stuff, already straightening itself back to the vertical in chase of the sunlight. Central GA had lots of wind damages, especially to the pecan crop this year. It would have been a record year. So blows the wind, glad to be home again....until next she blows.....
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods