What is this!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

What is this!

Post by Bushman »

Saw this in Norway today. Can anyone identify it? Hint it is from the 1600.
IMG_0056.JPG
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What is this!

Post by Pikey »

STreetlight ? - Light fire in basket ? :D Lighthouse ?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Something like a lighthouse for ships navigation?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

You guys are good. It is a light house, they would add coal in the basket and light it at night.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Thats dam good masonry on the shack.
Omnia mea mecum porto
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

I was there only last month. Do you live nearby?

(Horten her.)
Always impatient. But learning.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

A witch dunking basket! :)

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Bushman »

rubelstrudel wrote:I was there only last month. Do you live nearby?

(Horten her.)
No but it is a short distance from my wife's cousins. We get to Norway every 2-3 years.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Bushman wrote:Saw this in Norway today. Can anyone identify it? Hint it is from the 1600.
IMG_0056.JPG
These are all cute answers but actually what it is, is a bucket of shit. literally. You would lower the pole and hook your recently filled bucket and lift it up to ensure animals didn't get into it. If you dumped in a closed building, the heat that was generated (and subsequently left) would be a place for wild animals to go and hole up during the cold nights. People would go to the outhouse and find an angry animal attacking them. So, the bucket was filled and raised to cool/freeze in the night air. The next time somebody went out, they would lower the bucket of frozen poop and dump it in the pit and then use it and place it back up in the air. Shown here, they are using a pole, this didn't come about until the late 1400's or so. Before that they had a long hand made "thatch" type rod with a hook at the end and was called a cane or "shitzen cannen" This is where the term "raising cane" came from. Kids would run through villages "raising cane" by pulling down on the pole causing the other end of the cane with the bucket on it to rise quickly and then fly off when it hit the top. This resulted in the not yet frozen poo to land on the shed and generally make a mess.

I need a drink.....

EDIT: shit, thought this was the liars bench, my bad....bushman you got this....
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

goinbroke2 wrote:
Bushman wrote:Saw this in Norway today. Can anyone identify it? Hint it is from the 1600.
IMG_0056.JPG
These are all cute answers but actually what it is, is a bucket of shit. literally. You would lower the pole and hook your recently filled bucket and lift it up to ensure animals didn't get into it. If you dumped in a closed building, the heat that was generated (and subsequently left) would be a place for wild animals to go and hole up during the cold nights. People would go to the outhouse and find an angry animal attacking them. So, the bucket was filled and raised to cool/freeze in the night air. The next time somebody went out, they would lower the bucket of frozen poop and dump it in the pit and then use it and place it back up in the air. Shown here, they are using a pole, this didn't come about until the late 1400's or so. Before that they had a long hand made "thatch" type rod with a hook at the end and was called a cane or "shitzen cannen" This is where the term "raising cane" came from. Kids would run through villages "raising cane" by pulling down on the pole causing the other end of the cane with the bucket on it to rise quickly and then fly off when it hit the top. This resulted in the not yet frozen poo to land on the shed and generally make a mess.

I need a drink.....

EDIT: shit, thought this was the liars bench, my bad....bushman you got this....
Now that's funny and creative, since my wife's Norwegian cousins took us there as a tour I don't think I am going to pass on your guess :D