Fed ex?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Fed ex?

Post by Bavis54 »

Hey friends, I was thinkn of shipping some of my work to a friend distiller, and wondered if there any precautions I should take other than the obvious wrapping of the jars. Anyone ever do this?
semper fi
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Fed ex?

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Done it. Doing it Monday.

Wrap the bottles in bubble wrap. Fill them to the top. Don't want that "liquid"sound. Most important, seal them in a leak proof bag. I used a food savor with bubble wrap inside the seal, and out.

Also, put the destination in the "To:" and "From:". I once had a bottle, I presume they found out half way there. They went to "return" it to the sender, because they didn't approve. Guess where it went anyways :lol: .

If I can fly like this, you can mail like it...
img20170916_194858.png
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

never had a problem shipping UPS or FedEx.
They don't give a damn.
Just pad well.
"preserves"
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Hey thanks for the help scd, whatcha been makin lately? There's not too much I make worth bragging on, but all summer I did peaches, n my peach brandy from last cpl runs is great! I wanna send some to shineon and jus wanted get some tips.
Thanks
semper fi
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Don't fill them to the top. The smaller the room for expansion, the sooner the bottle will break from a rise in temperature.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

NZChris wrote:Don't fill them to the top. The smaller the room for expansion, the sooner the bottle will break from a rise in temperature.
This is true. There is a balance between expansion and sound.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I've never had any trouble with USPS, either. I use bottles with T corks (cuz that's what I've got), and seal the corks with wax.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Cu29er
Bootlegger

Post by Cu29er »

Don't try to ship international. $250,000 fine unless you have the paperwork as a Distributor.

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Consider where you are shipping to when thinking about expansion room . Is the package going to cross high elevations / go air freight ?
I picked up a 53' trailer loaded with potato chips in bags once in CA . They had been pressurized for sea level distribution at the plant . 2 mountain ranges later I got to watch a trailer load of chips get offloaded into dumpsters via a Bobcat skid steer loader . We were welcome to all the chips we could eat for free .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Bavis54 wrote:Hey thanks for the help scd, whatcha been makin lately?
Thanks
Hey bud. Well, wasted an entire summer fighting a single recipe. Kept scorching the bastard, but the ones I got right came out tasting like a toasted marshmallow. Took a bottle to Truckin's, though, and it didn't make it home. Corn, rye, (toasted) oats and wheat. Called it Crow Mellow. I think enzymes and whole oats (Vs. Flaked) will take care of the scorching.

Glad to see you around at it :thumbup:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Still Life wrote:never had a problem shipping UPS or FedEx.
They don't give a damn...."preserves"
+1.

UPS won't ship alcohol, if they know that is what you're shipping. Just say it is preserves, jam, or jelly, etc. And tell them it is packaged tight so it won't break. And please do pack it good...good enough to drop from 5 feet. So, make sure the bottles don't "klunk" together.

But FedEx will ship alcohol. But you have to abide by the hazardous materials rules. Mark it such...and pay the price. It'll cost more through FedEx.

USPS won't knowingly ship alcohol either. And they have stricter weight and size of package rules. I have never shipped alcohol via USPS, although I have received some bottles of beer (for AHA contests) through the mail. I wouldn't recommend it.

I have carried beers and spirits through US Customs too. But I carried it in "checked" luggage. Not a problem at all. But you can't carry it onboard with your carry on luggage...it must be checked.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

If you want to ship to Alaska USPS is the only option.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Truckinbutch wrote:Consider where you are shipping to when thinking about expansion room . Is the package going to cross high elevations / go air freight ?
+1 Lol. Sleep number beds became a fad in highline motorhomes for a while. But the failure rate was ridiculous and warranty costs were through the roof. Until we realized that the beds were being adjusted at 500 ft. elevation, then the customer would drive over a 5,000 ft pass, where the bed would blow up like a weather balloon and split the seams. Sleep number beds just don't travel well.