Anybody go back and read their initial posts?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Anybody go back and read their initial posts?

Post by goinbroke2 »

I just read some of my first posts on here back in April 2008, for someone who built their first still at 14 and ran various things over the years, its funny how I looked like a total moron! LOL!!!
THIS is why when people are told to READ,READ,READ...they mean it! Yes I got hammered hard and deservedly so.

"I have a 18L Aluminum pressure cooker I'm going to use. There is three tapped holes already in the top. Problem is, the holes are only 5/16. I have brass adapters so I can use 3/8 steel brake line for my flake stand.
The only restriction will be the 5/16-3/8 adapter.
questions;

1) Is there a chart to size the line required? example, 18L pot on the stove needs minimum XX size line, XX feet long?

2) Is steel line ok to use? Yes it is new, unused 3/8 automotive steel brake line. (hope so it's already bent)

3) The pot is a "presto model 418" 18L with a flexible (rubber?) seal. I already asked this on another thread, but wouldn't it be good to use since it is food grade anyway?

4) How many copper fittings should I throw in the pot when I make a run?

(so far dollar input is 0) :D"

So, if somebody asks those questions today, perhaps I should be a bit more forgiving. Lol!

Just a reality check, we all started there at one time just as they still are today.

Anyone else go back and read their first posts and think "man was I a dumbass back then!" lol.

So, to be clear...rubber, aluminum, brass, steel...bwahahaha....man I was a dumbass...
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Re: Anybody go back and read their initial posts?

Post by goinbroke2 »

Oh I see....nobody else wants to admit anything eh? lol.

C'mon, fess up, what were you guys asking/posting when you first started??????
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Strange: just today I thought about how the drive with which I post here, changed in time. But that is about my personal feeling.

About my technical insights: I already had some experience a long time ago and back then I got my information from the library of my university. I remember browsing through the cards, literally. That is two libraries ago!

Since I joined HD I got rid of the idea that methanol is mainly in the heads and I learned the use of a thumper.
Oh, and I found some reliable sources of knowledge, like the vapour-liquid-temperature graph, some models for calculation and some quite experienced colleagues from around the world. Among them some nice guys!

But to answer your question: no. But I know your feeling: I read some old diaries. :oops:
On the other hand: that is the point of a forum like this one. Unknowing newbies come each day and ask stup... sorry: simple questions. Then they learn and end up as experts. That is: if they are smart and want to learn. If they are not, we never hear from them again.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Don't feel to bad, here is my first post 7 years ago.
I am new to both the forum and the distillation process. My question in looking at the various designs is that some are completely closed such as the design of the internal reflux still, however your design is open at the top of the condenser. I think I understand that the cool water will force the vapors down but won't this allow for some to escape? And is the design for safety or some other purpose?
Bushman

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Here’s mine:
still_stirrin wrote:
cajunpotboka wrote:well started making at 7pm 2.5 hrs into it not even a half gallon temp is staying between 177-179*f prof is 140 drip drip with valve wide open first hr produced 1/4 gallon smells good taste like corn whisky. but out of 5 gallons of mash was hoping for more. running a full boka 2" tower on a keg. tomorrow i will run 10 gallons but i will loosen the scrubbers might even pull 1-2 out. could just be my craftsmanship dunno...
A few questions for you first:
1) How long is the packed column?
2) What heat source? How much power are you using?
3) Do you have insulation on the column? I'd suspect not, but it sounds like you've got a lot of reflux going on. Insulation may help carry the heat higher in the column and push more vapor to your Leibig (product condenser).

A photo of your setup may help with the debugging for your slow production rate.

For grins, did you run the reflux calculator on the parent site to estimate what your rate would be?
But as an mechanical design engineer with experience in petro-chemical processing in addition to formerly working as a plumbing contractor as well as having brewed beer in a local brewpub for several years, I like to think I had at least some previous experience with the toolset, including the processes.

But, still I read this site (and a couple of other distiller websites too) for more than 6 months before joining.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I am incredibly shy so I didn't sign up until I had read the sight for an entire year. By the time I did start posting I was well aware of what not to do and the reaction of certain members to certain things. I was also quite worried about getting caught so I lied on my introduction post about my experience :roll:
cranky wrote:Currently I am not distilling but I make a lot of wine and like to fantasize about it.
That was actually not true, I distilled my first brandy within a week of finding this site a full year before I first posted :oops: That was followed shortly by many other things. I still have a bottle of my first all bran painstakingly produced in a 3 gallon pot still. It's pretty good stuff too :ebiggrin: It was actually quite some time before I was willing to admit I actually distill but by the time I overcame my shyness and started posting I was fairly accomplished at distilling.

Posting same time as SS
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

One thing I've noted when going back and re-reading my old posts is that 'm very bad about following up on my own threads, lol. I'd post a question or an idea then, people would add input and... nothing from me - what an ass.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Just reread mine pretty boring stuff

OVZ
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

I told everyone they were nuts for giving all this info away FREE
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Questions? I was too busy baking taters to ask any questions!
image.jpeg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

Wooday wrote:Haven't distilled anything, might never, but it's nice to know how.
Followed shortly by
Wooday wrote:Honestly, I mentioned it in passing to the wife-to-be and she said to go for it, it's better than spending $80 on a bottle of whisky.
A little of it is just being ornery. I can brew enough cider, beer, and wine to get the whole town tanked but I can't distill it to reduce its shelf space? Never made much sense to me.
So things escalated quickly...
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

I think I'm still too close to my initial threads to be any less of a moron. I can say that I've learned more on these forums by asking moronic questions than I would have learned by reading 10 books on the subject. To some extent I'll always be a moron....maybe sophmoric if I keep reading.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Alchemist75 wrote: I've learned more on these forums by asking moronic questions than I would have learned by reading 10 books on the subject.
And that is why people should never be afraid to ask a question, and why I dislike those who are rude to people who ask questions.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

When I joined the forum I lost my account a month or so later forgot about it then made a new one.. This one the old one was dealt with recently
I couldn't spell for shit and had poor literature in my early days on this account it was the same still is
I don't like reading posts from back them its embarrassing but it goes to show how much just a little reading and asking around will do for you
I started out on a 3 gal enamelled steel turkey pot with a old dishrag with some paste for a sealer and a 3/8ths copper line cooled off with damp rags and socks
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Well at least your command of your letters has improved which is great. I never saw any of your old posts but just having talked to you I doubt there's anything to be truly embarrassed by. You seem like a decent sort and don't forget, we all had clumsy beginnings at some point either on these forums or elsewhere. Learning is a growth process and an iterative one to boot. Early times friend, early times.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

huh... yep still a little long winded, still come here as often as I can, still love stillin :D
don't get as much time to dedicate to my hobby as I'd like :x
and most of my hero's on this site when I finally did join are still my hero's now :thumbup:
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Well I have to say that was fun. Quite a lot of questions and some good old fashioned straight forward answers back then. I read my first 5 posts and went on a trip through memory lane. A bunch of good folk and good advice as well. Just noticed that tomorrow will be my 6 year anniversary here on HD and I think I still have a couple of jars of the first liquor I made back in the shed somewhere. I will have to dig them out and have a toast. I also went back to some of the fun threads. Most noted is the liars bench. Huge amount of fun right there. Who remembers the HD novella started by HDNB . Great story added to by many of the folk here on HD. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51635
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Boring! While I read this site almost daily for years, I only have half a dozen “safe” posts my first two years, mostly around the hardware where I was more comfortable joining the discussion. I guess I got tired of being labeled a noob so I began chatting more. Did not find any early faceplants, but I know they are out there somewhere. The frequency of my stupid statements/questions seems to have increased with time.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels