What do you call this

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: What do you call this

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Agree with Crow , its a "mad mick " or a Pick
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Yummyrum wrote:A Shifter , a Mattock and a Texta

In UnZud we used to call them a Cressent , a Grubber and a Felt Tip Pen ......Which was pronounced Falt Tup Pin :wave:
things.jpg
Crescent wrench , grubbing hoe, marker.
A pick is a pick on both sides,a grubbing hoe has a wide,flat blade on one side.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah OK crescent wrench back home is a dated word for a variation of footprints where the curved top not the bottom jaw is what locks, ya never see em much anymore but SB prolly has six of em.
Here's a footprint
Attachments
IMG_20171114_132603_056.jpg
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

thecroweater wrote:Yeah OK crescent wrench back home is a dated word for a variation of footprints where the curved top not the bottom jaw is what locks, ya never see em much anymore but SB prolly has six of em.
Here's a footprint
Looks like a bastard cross between a pipewrench and a pair of vicegrips

Deo Vendice

thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Many years ago Dad walks in to the house where mum was talking to the neighbour's wife blood all over his face. They ask what happened. He was clearing overhead sprinkler jets and left his footprints on the ladder so they fell when he moved it, he says my footprint fell and hit me in the face, neighbour thought he was concussed. :lol: .
We call these things Stilsens ,pretty sure its what yonder are talking about when they say monkey wrench :think:
Attachments
IMG_20171114_132642_059.jpg
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

thecroweater wrote:Many years ago Dad walks in to the house where mum was talking to the neighbour's wife blood all over his face. They ask what happened. He was clearing overhead sprinkler jets and left his footprints on the ladder so they fell when he moved it, he says my footprint fell and hit me in the face, neighbour thought he was concussed. :lol: .
We call these things Stilsens ,pretty sure its what yonder are talking about when they say monkey wrench :think:
Pipewrench or monkeywrench.

Deo Vendice

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

jb-texshine wrote:
thecroweater wrote:Many years ago Dad walks in to the house where mum was talking to the neighbour's wife blood all over his face. They ask what happened. He was clearing overhead sprinkler jets and left his footprints on the ladder so they fell when he moved it, he says my footprint fell and hit me in the face, neighbour thought he was concussed. :lol: .
Pipewrench or monkeywrench.
If I'm not mistaken A monkey wrench doesn't have teeth and the head isn't curved... Those pictured are pipe wrenches.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Oh OK well that sounds like what they use to call a monkey wrench here, was a very old tool with a thread and turn nut often under the jaw. I got one here somewhere that was Grandpa's took me some work to unseize it. Basically it seized on him so he used it as a bolt on a chookyard door , move forward 50 years I took it off cleaned the rust off and spent ages getting it working. He called that sort of tool a monkey wrench, I've never seen one likely to be much under a hundred years old.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Crow , we used to call those stilsons in NZ too :thumbup: Good thing the Kiwis and Aussies agreed on some things :clap:

OK Pick the Matock out of these bastards ....I'm still learning Aussie
( The one on the right is what was in the other pic)
Picks.jpg
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Grubbin axe plumbers or miners pick and trenching pick :lolno:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Stillson is a brand name, but even if your monkey wrench was made by Ridgid, you could still ask for the Stillsons and be handed what you wanted. I don't know what you would get of you asked for the Ridgids :D

The mattock has the wide blade.

(Edited for spelling)
Last edited by NZChris on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Prolly pipe expanders
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

thecroweater wrote:Grubbin axe plumbers or miners pick and trenching pick :lolno:
Damn it :thumbdown: ...no Mattock ...I like NZChris's choice :D :ewink:

Well if I may be totally Non PC ,it was a Victorian Shiella that told me .....how's that for a complete cop out for totally ballsing it up :silent:

But then again they call Middy's Pots ......so what chance does a green Kiwi have when he asks for a six of Beer in a Victorian Pub ...well I found out :oops:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:a friend of mine calls this a Bridge Chicken
pigeon.jpg
and this a Tree Rat
I call the bottom one dinner

Deo Vendice

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

crescent wrench here is also (rarely) called a thumb wrench, cause you use your thumb to adjust the size wheel.

those pipe wrenches up there are often called monkey wrenches, cause that's what you often find hanging on the end of one... :ebiggrin:

the footprint up there...we don't really have them. we use "channel lock" or "pump pliers" pliers that are similar. a number of years ago they introduced a pliers similar to that thing, calling it an improvement on the channel locks. i think the preferred term was "speed pliers"

as a respectable mechanic, you would own these tools but rarely pull them out, using the right tool for the job or risk being laughed out the shop. vise grips were your last resort before the hot wrench came out. (oxy/acetylene with a rose bud tip)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

'asks for a six of Beer in a Victorian Pub'

Well I live in Victoria but I don't drink beer....

I know a small beer is a pony...

Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

In SA the smallest measure was a pony but they went out with button up shoes, so the next regular size is a butcher then schooner (285ml) then pint and then a bucket (570 or an imperial pint). They are normal sizes and there are a few special sizes in certain pubs like a stein which is a litre.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

HDNB wrote:crescent wrench here is also (rarely) called a thumb wrench, cause you use your thumb to adjust the size wheel.

those pipe wrenches up there are often called monkey wrenches, cause that's what you often find hanging on the end of one... :ebiggrin:

the footprint up there...we don't really have them. we use "channel lock" or "pump pliers" pliers that are similar. a number of years ago they introduced a pliers similar to that thing, calling it an improvement on the channel locks. i think the preferred term was "speed pliers"

as a respectable mechanic, you would own these tools but rarely pull them out, using the right tool for the job or risk being laughed out the shop. vise grips were your last resort before the hot wrench came out. (oxy/acetylene with a rose bud tip)
Re Cresent: No one has called it a 'Shifter' yet......... the other great term for one of them is 'Nutfucker' :)

Stiltsons, aie, agreed.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

BOTH=SUPPER!!!!!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Hoosier Shine9 wrote:a friend of mine calls this a Bridge Chicken
pigeon.jpg
and this a Tree Rat
This is what I referred to as SUPPER
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Surprised you Aussies didn't mention this.
aussies.jpg
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

thecroweater wrote:Oh OK well that sounds like what they use to call a monkey wrench here, was a very old tool with a thread and turn nut often under the jaw. I got one here somewhere that was Grandpa's took me some work to unseize it. Basically it seized on him so he used it as a bolt on a chookyard door , move forward 50 years I took it off cleaned the rust off and spent ages getting it working. He called that sort of tool a monkey wrench, I've never seen one likely to be much under a hundred years old.
crow your description sounds like a "ford wrench" this is the only one I could find on the net

that did not say " ford " right in the casting. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/t ... Wrench.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
be water my friend
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

ah yeah I guess that would be a modern version of it more or less. I was going to post a picture but I can't find it. There are quite a few variations of it but the one I have has a handle that is basically two say 3/8 rod bars (well one actually as it comes down bends up and then cross over twists) . One rod is attracted to the head and the other the jaw with thread and a turn nut I think is under the jaw. I also have a small one like you posted and it may well be an old car toolkit one.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Had a couple of these gave one to EG and kept this, yaz know what it is?
Attachments
IMG_20171117_140259_014.jpg
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

It looks like the hard work side of a grain mill. would have to see the other side to be sure.
be water my friend
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

cob wrote:It looks like the hard work side of a grain mill. would have to see the other side to be sure.
Could be. Or a meat mincer ('grinder').

Unless you can see the other side....

Geoff
The Baker
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It looks a bit like a bean slicer, but not a model I'm familiar with.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Still Life wrote:Surprised you Aussies didn't mention this.
aussies.jpg
That's funny is what it is!

Deo Vendice

thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

That was a food grister for grinding seed and food, I got them to grist green malt, the have two iron ridged milling plates, one turns against a fixed one. An old fella restored them back to new condition.