Passing of Malcolm Young

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Passing of Malcolm Young

Post by Twisted Brick »

It was with sadness this morning that I learned of the passing of AC/DC's rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young. He was only 64.

Through college I saw AC/DC perform live multiple times, and was always impressed with Malcolm's rock-steady rhythm and impeccable timing. And not once during his entire career did he ever complain of or seek the recognition of his brother Angus.

Malcolm had earned the reputation as a legendary drinker, but learned early enough (1988) that he would be better off without it, and after a short rehab stayed sober the rest of his days.

For those of you who enjoyed AC/DC's music and shows, please join me in a toast to this legendary bandmate and genuine rocker: https://youtu.be/m4TV6UDfbLg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

A job well done, Malcolm.

R.I.P.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: Passing of Malcolm Young

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Love AC/DC up to an including Back in Black. I listen to their older stuff a lot. Great rock and roll.

Heard Angus say that Malcolm was every bit as good a soloist on guitar, but he didn't go for that. He wrote a lot of their material and kept things solid with his rhythm work.

Gone way too soon.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

I suspect he rode the Highway to Hell and is now ringing Hells Bells and Shaking things All Night Long
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Whoa Uncle Jesse, you have a thing for Aussie rock and rhtymn and blues! Let me throw some band names at you... The Easybeats, The Loved Ones, Billy Thorpe and The Aztecs, Lobby Lloyde and The Coloured Balls, Zoot, Masters Apprentices, Chain - those are all great 60s and early 70s bands, ten or so years later do you know Rose Tattoo, Cold Chisel, Screaming Jets, Radiators, Hoodoo Gurus, Divinyls, Midnight Oil, Choirboys, Baby Animals, and Partyboys for a superstar covers band... time to introduce your neighbours to some cranking aussie pub rock! Back in the day, DJ kImbo, we'd do themed nights, all aussie, aussie 60s, aussie 80s etc, huge fun!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

kimbodious wrote:Whoa Uncle Jesse, you have a thing for Aussie rock and rhtymn and blues! Let me throw some band names at you... The Easybeats, The Loved Ones, Billy Thorpe and The Aztecs, Lobby Lloyde and The Coloured Balls, Zoot, Masters Apprentices, Chain - those are all great 60s and early 70s bands, ten or so years later do you know Rose Tattoo, Cold Chisel, Screaming Jets, Radiators, Hoodoo Gurus, Divinyls, Midnight Oil, Choirboys, Baby Animals, and Partyboys for a superstar covers band... time to introduce your neighbours to some cranking aussie pub rock! Back in the day, DJ kImbo, we'd do themed nights, all aussie, aussie 60s, aussie 80s etc, huge fun!
I know several of those bands but you didn't mention Stonefield!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Stood rite next to him and Angus as they jumped off the stage and never missed a beat as the floor of the stadium opened up for em..Bad mammyjammers for sure.
Every time they came here, sold out..Standing room only.
Pick some stuff out on Spotify for some memories. :(
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Yeah, bummer.

Uncle Jesse, I saw Stonefield and Orb open for King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard just this past year.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Stonefield 45 on Greenway Records
Stonefield 45 on Greenway Records
bilgriss wrote:Yeah, bummer.

Uncle Jesse, I saw Stonefield and Orb open for King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard just this past year.
Nice!
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I suppose I have an odd taste in music....
I have seen AC-DC 3 times in my lifetime.....
Ozzy Osborne in his heyday.....
But. I also saw The King of Bluegrass...the late Jimmy Martin, The Stanley brothers, Don Reno and Red Smiley and about every Bluegrass Artist that ever cut an album.
Right now while cruising this forum, I am listening to The Balfa Brothers on Pandora....Cajun music at it's best.
About a month ago, old D.L. Menard passed away; he was the Cajun Hank Williams.. I was at his last performance and saw him perform many times. He will also be missed.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Great Aussie bands mentioned but ya missed INXS, Hunters and Collectors, Crowded House, Australian Crawl and The Divinyls
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

thecroweater wrote:Great Aussie bands mentioned but ya missed INXS, Hunters and Collectors, Crowded House, Australian Crawl and The Divinyls
Crikey, how did I miss Divinyls? Yeah I was just highlighting the hard rocking bands but you are right about the bands you mentioned. I saw INXS in 1982, they were supported by a really great band called Spy vs Spy who won the night for me! Another great live act a couple of years earlier was Mi Sex - really really good. I never got to see Dragon back then but I really enjoy seeing them now with Mark Williams doing the lead vocals - highly recommended you do!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Crikey, how did I miss Divinyls?
You must be deep in the cup, Kimbodious! You mentioned 'em up above. The band you missed (who also got a raw deal in copyright court) was Men At Work...
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer