Phone scam

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Old Town
Swill Maker

Phone scam

Post by Old Town »

I have been receiving a lot of weird phone calls lately. Calls from all over the US. People calling trying too help me with my student loan debt which I don't have.. Calls about a prize I've won.. And the most disturbing one I received two days ago. I was left a voicemail claiming that I had committed a federal criminal offense. They went on to say that I needed to call them back so that I could help them help me.. I called the number back and after several calls someone answered. They had a very strong accent every time I asked what kind of business they were I got hung up on. I called them back 11 times and was very shitty with them. They tried asking for my personal information and wanted to know my name.. I've read about these people and it is a giant scam. I would post the number that called me but I don't know if that's allowed? Needless to say they didn't get any personal info from me. Just putting a warning out there and wondering if anyone else has received any calls like this lately??
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Phone scam

Post by cob »

by replying to them you confirmed that they have a valid phone number

that they can and will sell to other scammers.
be water my friend
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Well that would explain why I'm getting calls from all over the place.. I think I'm going to have to change my phone number.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

if you are not on the national do not call list get on it.

it will not stop the callers that choose to call you illegally,

but it might cut down on the overall number of BS calls that you receive.

before you change your number remember the new number could be abandoned

for the same reason you want to lose the number you use now.

edit; most of the numbers you see on your caller id from those assholes are spoofed.
be water my friend
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I’ve been experiencing the same calls for the last three or four months. Maybe longer. Student loans, etc. Starter all at once. I assumed someone stole data (again) from a company. Have done business with. I never respond to these things. I put myself on the DNC list years ago. Maybe I will addd it again, just to make sure.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

How do you get on the national do not call list?
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Ok never mind I got it figured out.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

If I don't recognize the caller's number I don't answer it. If its important and/or someone I know, they'll leave a voicemail.

Just know that a number of the transactions you conduct over the 'net are with companies that have privacy, usage and disclosure terms buried in their policy that upon agreeing to, you authorize them to sell your information for a profit.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

another warning if you do answer the call DO NOT say "yes", "OK", "uh ha"

or any form of agreement no mater what the conversation or question.
be water my friend
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

The only reason I called the number back was because of the voice mail they left me. The voice mail stated that I had committed a federal crime and to contact them so that I could help them help me. That just pissed me off and I called to give them a pice of my mind. I called 10 or 11 times and got the same person ever time. I got hung up on every time but managed to slip in a few choice words. I realize now that it was a bad idea to call them back but I was pissed off..
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

cob wrote:by replying to them you confirmed that they have a valid phone number

that they can and will sell to other scammers.
From time to time I get a call; no-one answers for a short time then a nice lady says, 'Goodbye'.

Must be something like you said.

My wife just got a text to say she has twenty-four hours to claim her new Toyota. We wish!

Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yep they've got smart here and use proxy local exchanges but a quick look and you'll see its likely overseas, so ya answer get a few seconds of silence then a subcontinent voice.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

national evening news here reported scammers now have the ability to spoof the photo id and phone number

of nearly any one. meaning that if you get a call from your wife, boss, brother, mother. you will see their

picture, and phone number, and have no way to know that it's a spoofed call.

twisted brick wrote "If I don't recognize the caller's number I don't answer it."

I answer all calls in both my lines hidden or not. the scammers may learn new words,

or discover things about their ancestry, or moral values they hadn't considered.

but I always pick up the phone and start with hello how it finishes is up to the caller

callers with good intentions never know what the other side might look like.

remember if they call you illegally they are a form of criminal
be water my friend
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

It's gotten to be an epidemic and nothing you can do about other than block the number. The do not call registry is a joke. They don't investigate. I answered a call recently because it was the same area code and prefix as my cell. I answered then hung up when the robomessage started. I called the number back and a guy answered. He told me a couple of people had called him and his number had been hacked.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

hell, i've won so many cruises i can't figure out why i live in a house.

the Scam alerts are on high right now, all the on line shopping sites like amazon...etc, etc, etc, are spoofed by phishers sending out fake invoices and fake freight tracking reports trying to grab your personal information.

so many people shopping on line...and then you get an email from "amazon" that looks very real, that the shipment was attempted delivery or is held up in customs at the border...click now to get it all sorted out....

you click and auto download ransom ware or directed to site where they phish your personal info.

as a RULE: never, ever, ever, ever...click an unsolicited email (or ad on a site you don't KNOW is who you have reached out to.)

basically if someone is reaching out to you...no matter how real it looks (or sounds on the phone)...is scamming you.

read the address bar.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If they are unfortunate enough to call when I'm bored, I string them along until I'm bored again and then tell them what low life scum bags I think they are.
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Dont ever reply or call back wierd numbers.

If the feds want you- they wont call.

Be safe and be smart!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I had a few back in June saying I had a tax debt I needed to address asap, I asked the guy where he was calling from and he said Maryland... Huh!!! I live in Va you dumb sum bitch, what the fuk would you be calling me from Maryland and not Richmond Va I asked.

I asked to speak to a superior and got the uhh uhhh well sir shit, I wish I had a caller ID that let me know where they were really so I could go on a road trip and have a nice peaceful visit with him.
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

ShineOn wrote.. I asked to speak to a superior and got the uhh uhhh well sir shit, I wish I had a caller ID that let me know where they were really so I could go on a road trip and have a nice peaceful visit with him.

+1 on that one buddy.. That guy I talked too had me so mad I was shaking. I kept calling and calling just too get a few more words in before he hung up on me.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I am waiting for technology to evolve to the point that I can reach

right through the phone and stuff one right up side the cork soaker.
be water my friend
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

I get quite a few of these calls on my work phone which I am expected to answer. I found most of the time if you dial 1 when they start
talking a message comes on that says you have been removed from their list and the call ends. I especially like screwing with the callers that say they are from the IRS and have a thick Indian accent.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I like screwing with technicians from Microsoft with names like Steven and George who have thick Indian accents even though they reside in Seattle, or anywhere else I suggest :D
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

A scammer is a scammer and they are scum no matter where they live but lets not start putting telephone help staff in the same boat . They are just doing their job . .... doesnt matter where they live .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Yummyrum wrote:A scammer is a scammer and they are scum no matter where they live but lets not start putting telephone help staff in the same boat . They are just doing their job . .... doesnt matter where they live .
Legitimate telephone help staff don't ring me, I ring them. Ring me and you are fair game.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NZChris wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:A scammer is a scammer and they are scum no matter where they live but lets not start putting telephone help staff in the same boat . They are just doing their job . .... doesnt matter where they live .
Legitimate telephone help staff don't ring me, I ring them. Ring me and you are fair game.
Thats a fair call Chris .... just didn't want this going in the wrong direction :thumbup:
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Well it's not necessarily a scam it irritates the hell out of me... Today I was driving to work and I get a call answer the phone, some guy says, " is Karen there"? I says no I think you have the wrong number. He replies "oh well maybe YOU can help me then".

Kind of stuff pisses me off. I almost hung up on him but then I thought what the hell. I kept him on the phone for the next 45 minutes learning about timeshares while I was driving and listening to music. I'm the guy finally figured out that I really wasn't paying attention much or interested in his timeshares he got ticked at me and hung up
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Gotta new Samsung and reads Scam Likely when these calls come now.
Also separates email into spam and trash, I never open .
Automatically deletes junk.
Whycome it took me so long to upgrade still bewildered me. :crazy:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

One of the guys I work with actually likes getting calls from scammers. He says to them "Does your mother know you steal for a living?" and the call doesn't last much longer :lol:
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

I've gotten a few of the "you owe on your student loan" phone calls. My last response must have ended the stupidity. I told the heavily accented gal, " OK, you've got my phone # so I'm sure you have my address, please send me a bill and I will reply after I receive it". Trust me, I had already tried the "in your face"approach to no avail....
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Shine0n wrote: I asked to speak to a superior and got the uhh uhhh well sir shit, I wish a caller ID that let me know where they were really so I could go on a road trip and have a nice peaceful visit with him.
WAY back, when I was in college I worked in a phone room for the summer. It was legitimate, we were calling soliciting sales, "on behalf of"... legitimate groups like Fraternal Order of Police .
When people would continue to ask, we would come clean and tell them that we were not a member of FOP. On a few occasions, they'd get really pissed, want to speak to a manager. They'd talk the people down, and assure them that whatever issue they had with the caller was correct, and that "Dick" would be terminated. Then the manager would tell "Dick" that he was fired. After the next break, you;d hit the phones again. "Hello, this is Bob calling for the New York FOP."
(I was one that was never "fired" by the way.)
:D