moonshiners tv show-is what I noticed for real

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

moonshiners tv show-is what I noticed for real

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

yes i do watch it but more fo the nostalgia
i realize its taboo but wth
one thing though
do they really single distill or is it just me
that must be horid tasting stuff if so.
i`ve did plenty of corn likker and single distilled.
eeeee
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Re: moonshiners tv show-is what I noticed for real

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

You'll learn about as much about distilling from Moonshiners as you would flying from Airplane.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

no shit
but i ain`t watching it to learn,just for the hell of it
but that has to be shitty tasting likker always doing single run
gotta be rough
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

In that country you got fellers making high dollars bootlegging single run 'busthead' . You got these other wannabies making better money in front of a camera .
And ...... You got old time purists that you seldom hear about that keep the craft alive by doing what they have always been doing for a select cleintel for decades . They seldom make headlines or magazine articles .
Case to point :
Few years back a traditional shiner got busted from a phone in complaint a few counties south of me .
His lawyer dead nuts locked it when they went to court .
"Your Honor , my client has distilled for his own use and as a community service for the last 30 years . You have imbibed his donated spirits at every holiday function you have attended in this county and every County Commission Picinick that he donated spirits to . For all these years he has contributed to his community without renumeration ."
The case was dismissed for lack of evidence of intent to evade taxes . And a lot of politicians that didn't want to get 'Redassed' if this case went to trial .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

I've never seen the show, but I have noticed an uptick in new distillers talking about single runs through their pot stills.

A couple of years ago, when I was getting started in this hobby, I dismissed 'One and done' fairly early into my research. There wasn't discussion or support for it. Now, its as if every day, I'm reading posts from new distillers that seem to have picked it up from somewhere. So is this show responsible?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

You bring up a number of points in te one post duke -

1) - Is "Moonshiners" a record of distilling operations ?

No it cannot be - The first time I ever saw it, I understood that ! I find it quite concerning that some people actually believe it could be :lol:

2) Is it good entertainment ?

Well I like it !

3) Is it possible to make a) decent shine in a single run through a b) simple pot still ?

That pair of questions is a little more complex.

I do "sort of" single runs, although the heads and tails from the previous run are added back into a fairly high abv wash to do so. And my apparatus is not quite a "Simple pot still" - I can pull 60% abv "Hearts" quite easily. Most who run "pots" cannot do this without they go "Turbo" to bump up the initial abv.

However the caveat is engaged in the last part of your post where you state that you have tried "Corn likker" run in a singe operation.

My recipes do take account of the fact that a single run will pull a LOT of flavour through and my washes have far less "flavour ingredients" than those used by other posters. For example my "Bacardi-ish" contains 400 ml molasses in a 25 litre wash.

I can get very close to the white version of Bacardi and also very close to my favourite Scotch "Glenmorangie", although in the latter case, the oaking and aging have to be done fairly delicately, to get a good "facsimile" flavour.

I can only imagine what an AG for example would taste like done as a "single" - I have to use a sugar heavy wash.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

In the series I have never heard even the suggestion of doing two runs, but all of them use a thumper. Only in making gin or absinthe it was emphasized that this was difficult, because it involved a second distillation.
I have seen some research in Brasil about comparing single and double distillation of cachaca, so apparently single run is done there at least sometimes.
And in films of making slivovitz on the Balkan I also never have seen even a suggestion of double distillation.

I just did a rum. Took the middle of the stripping run as a single run and with the rest did a spirit run. It still is very fresh, but I favour the double run. Maybe in a year or so that changes.

I like the series. For me as a European it gives some view on living in the better parts of the USoA. It sometimes gives some new ideas about stilling. And it gives a feeling about the inventive spirit of people.

(Written at the same time as Pikey)
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Do they always use thumpers Kareltje ? - I wasn't sure so I left it out. However, if they do that changes things completely. I've never heard anyone who uses a thumper, even consider a second run !

Your othe points are well taken - Good post as ever mate 8)

PS - your rum - My "bacardi-ish" is hearts only. There is much "rum" flavour in heads and tails and maybe that is a reason why you prefer that after second distil ? I can imagine that would make quite a nice drink.(More to my taste perhaps than the "hearts") - Mine goes back in the pot to boost the "hearts cut" of the next run.
Cu29er
Bootlegger

Post by Cu29er »

At least they made a switch the last one or two seasons to show dumping the foreshots. Someone in the business keyed them in on that.

Some articles I read about the show is they purposefully don't show any real ways or doing the whole process due to a deal with law enforcement to not arrest everyone connected with the show.

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Cu29er wrote:.

.........Some articles I read about the show is they purposefully don't show any real ways or doing the whole process due to a deal with law enforcement to not arrest everyone connected with the show.

Clearly they wouldn't be able to show any real alcohol either. The stuff coming out of those "worms" has to be clear water.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Pikey wrote:Do they always use thumpers Kareltje ? - I wasn't sure so I left it out. However, if they do that changes things completely. I've never heard anyone who uses a thumper, even consider a second run !

Your othe points are well taken - Good post as ever mate 8)

PS - your rum - My "bacardi-ish" is hearts only. There is much "rum" flavour in heads and tails and maybe that is a reason why you prefer that after second distil ? I can imagine that would make quite a nice drink.(More to my taste perhaps than the "hearts") - Mine goes back in the pot to boost the "hearts cut" of the next run.
I am not really sure, I admit. Just saw the part where Patty and her dad used a thumper, seemingly for the first time. But when they got about 74 % in former parts, they must have used thumpers then too.

I do not agree with your answer to Cu29er: sometimes when they throw their fores in the fire, it really fires.

I suppose you know the shows about nature of David Attenborough.
They all seem smooth and flowing, with a voice over that knows all.
But I saw a documentary about making his shows, and it showed how much effort it took to make one shot of a butterfly outburst. Took them two days!

Of course it is not a course about making moonshine, but more a show of how this kind of people live.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Kareltje wrote:
They all seem smooth and flowing, with a voice over that knows all..................
Yes K - I watch the programmes of the senile old fool !

There was a time I would have respected his opinion - but now - he's just regurgitating a script !
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Pikey wrote:
Kareltje wrote:
They all seem smooth and flowing, with a voice over that knows all..................

There was a time I would have respected his opinion - but now - he's just regurgitating a script !
I did not want to offend you and I am sorry if I did by accident!

But I think both the programs of David Attenborough and Moonshiners are filmed with very much effort and then edited and cut to make a smooth story. But that story is according the truth.
It leaves out a lot of useless information, but it captures the highlights, the parts we are interested in.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

I just checked and there are at season 7 !!! Dammit :)
The edit makes it really slow story telling. I mean, there are loads of replays.

I find this show funny, but not to be taken too seriously when it comes to distillation.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

I have to say
1. I am a N :mrgreen: :mrgreen: B

2. Yes the show brought me here and got me started in the "hobby"
3. I realize most of the show IS bullshit. I record it so I can FF through redundancy and the problems in Tim & Tickle's lives.
4. I'm particularly interested in Mark & Digger and Patti & David in Louisiana. I like their experimentation with recipes and ingredients. Mark & Digger are COMPLETELY believable & entertaining without all the extra drama.
5. What I get out of the show is mostly, "Well I wonder if I did THAT like THIS would the results taste like?"
6. I live in the South. No I don't run into folks like that every day, but yeah, it is pretty damned accurate for more than a few folks down this way.
Over the holidays I went to a family thing. A friend of a cousin was there; they are both sheriff's deputies where they live. An episode was on tv and I made a comment. "Paul" made a comment about how unreal it was. The "yeah I knew a fellow that used to do it" conversation evolved to the point where it was obvious the Deputy has done a hell of lot more real moonshinin' than I've ever thought about.

:mrgreen:
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Isn't it common for fruit brandies to be single pot run?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I think it is common in some parts of the world to do single pot runs on fruit brandies at home. I think it is virtually unheard of in the commercial realm. Around here you'll see it done occasionally.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I do single runs with fruit although I use a thumper but usually I don't have enough for stripping them to do a spirit run.
Except the peaches of 2016, still have 1.5 gal of that fine ass spirit!
Unless you run a thumper I would do stripping runs first followed by a spirit run. If you dont have a handle on your equipment and know how it runs I wouldn't try for a single run on a pot still, most will say strip it.

Too many choices eh!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Bamaberry wrote:I have to say

.......:
You've been about long enough now to reconsider that comment :lol: :wink:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Kareltje wrote:
Pikey wrote:
Kareltje wrote:

I did not want to offend you and I am sorry if I did by accident!

But I think both the programs of David Attenborough and Moonshiners are filmed with very much effort and then edited and cut to make a smooth story. But that story is according the truth.
It leaves out a lot of useless information, but it captures the highlights, the parts we are interested in.
You didn't offend me Kareltje - I have far too much respect for your opinions and abilities for that to happen 8)

Just touched a nerve mate !

I used to be a great fan of a guy called "David Bellamy" who was a hugely knowledgable plant biologist and who got "Instant dismissal" from TV programming for stating that CO2 was GOOD for plants. Whereas Attenborough just absorbed and regurgitates the "narrative". I actually spent several years studying the pros and cons of the "Global warming" debate (such as it was) and came down completely on the "BS" side.

THat's all mate - No offence taken or intended :)
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Pikey wrote:
Bamaberry wrote:I have to say
.......:
You've been about long enough now to reconsider that comment :lol: :wink:
Thanks Pikey I TRULY appreciate the thought, but not yet. Gene Stallings, an Alabama football coach I respect a lot, once said, "Don't confuse activity with achievement."
Roll Tide!
:mrgreen:
Chip N Dale
Novice

Post by Chip N Dale »

Gene Stallings, an Alabama football coach I respect a lot, once said, "Don't confuse activity with achievement."
Some fellas get 3 years of experience and some get 1 year experience 3 times. I find myself in the latter category in this hobby. It's not a bad thing here. Just what we enjoy doing.

I love the show. Mark and Digger are my favs. I don't take it seriously in any way.

Go Vols!
Dale
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Chip N Dale wrote:
Gene Stallings, an Alabama football coach I respect a lot, once said, "Don't confuse activity with achievement."
Some fellas get 3 years of experience and some get 1 year experience 3 times. I find myself in the latter category in this hobby. It's not a bad thing here. Just what we enjoy doing.

I love the show. Mark and Digger are my favs. I don't take it seriously in any way.

Go Vols!
Dale

I like the show and Mark and digger are my favourite as well. Like Patty and her dad too, the rest I couldn't be bothered with.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Antler24 wrote:
Chip N Dale wrote:

Go Vols!
Dale

I like the show and Mark and digger are my favourite as well. Like Patty and her dad too, the rest I couldn't be bothered with.
i second you on that.
although the dude with the dog is a laugh at times :thumbup:
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

dukethebeagle120 wrote:
Antler24 wrote:
Chip N Dale wrote:

Go Vols!
Dale

i second you on that.
although the dude with the dog is a laugh at times :thumbup:
Yeah it's pretty obvious he's trying too hard for ratings though, and he has wayyyyy too much bad luck for it to be legit. Blows up stills, his stash of moonshine catches on fire, still getting stolen, and he can't keep a partner worth a damn.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

LOL, like "Moonshiners" has any thing with reality. It's just another "surreality" show.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Mark and Digger are nice, friendly guys and always trying something new. As are Patty and her father, who are trying to move with the flow of the season.
But I also like Chico and his Sondra. They seem a bit simple, but are doing extra ordinary things. And they have a very nice still!
Josh is running in trouble time and time again. Preferably when he has just about made it. Then suddenly: boom! All gone.
The big father and fat son are least sympathic, allthough the son at least tried something new with his absinth. (The look on his face when he tasted it was hilarious!) They are greedy and only thinking of their own interest.
The bushman is a natural. Just doing his things.
And Tim Climax is interesting because he has the most changing projects each year. Aging and selling to Europe last year, showing his son around this year.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

"dude with the dog is a laugh at times"....

I don't often see the show but there was the time the dog ran away and he frantically ran after it and neglected the still...

Not sure what happened next, didn't it catch fire?

Geoff
The Baker
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

The Baker wrote:"dude with the dog is a laugh at times"....

I don't often see the show but there was the time the dog ran away and he frantically ran after it and neglected the still...

Not sure what happened next, didn't it catch fire?

Geoff
Yes, it exploded. It was a nice still too. Boiler, thumper, and flake stand were all 55g stainless drums, with what looked to be all 2 or 3" stainless plumbing and valves.
Swedish Pride wrote:
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Kareltje wrote:Mark and Digger are nice, friendly guys and always trying something new. As are Patty and her father, who are trying to move with the flow of the season.
But I also like Chico and his Sondra. They seem a bit simple, but are doing extra ordinary things. And they have a very nice still!
Josh is running in trouble time and time again. Preferably when he has just about made it. Then suddenly: boom! All gone.
The big father and fat son are least sympathic, allthough the son at least tried something new with his absinth. (The look on his face when he tasted it was hilarious!) They are greedy and only thinking of their own interest.
The bushman is a natural. Just doing his things.
And Tim Climax is interesting because he has the most changing projects each year. Aging and selling to Europe last year, showing his son around this year.
I liked Tim. Until he fired Chico for running a still on the side, then later hired Tyler Wood, who was Chico's partner in crime.
Swedish Pride wrote: