Sons & Daughters In "The Hobby"

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Sons & Daughters In "The Hobby"

Post by TDick »

I'll try to keep this short and sweet but I really need feedback from those who have dealt with this before.
I have 2 sons recently turned 22 & 23 and while both graduated from college this year, I would say they're pretty immature.
They have both moved back home pending graduate school and getting a job. While in a fairly big house, my privacy has gone to hell.
Just wondering about those who have let your children in on your little secret.
I have not discussed this with SWMBO yet, wanted to get some feedback.
Both of mine are fond of social drinking and I often get stuck being there Uber or Designated Driver. I don't mind much because they aren't NEARLY as bad as I was and I figure it's karma. I honestly should be dead or have many many MANY citation. Thank you Jesus!
I'm wondering if I let them come down the rabbit hole, if that might have something of a "sobering" effect and make them more interested in the craft than in just getting shit faced.
Moonshine Family.jpg
As always, I appreciate everyones feedback.
:mrgreen:
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sons & Daughters In "The Hobby"

Post by Swedish Pride »

Immature and distillation might not be the best of mixes.
would they pay heed to the safety and keep their mouths shut whilst boozing with their mates?

I'd just try to keep it on the down low if I could, run the still when they are out boozing
Don't be a dick
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Wise them up to the importance of keeping this hobby hushed up. I'm sure they don't want Pop going to liquor jail.
But spare them the know-how. And watch your liquor supply!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Swedish Pride wrote:Immature and distillation might not be the best of mixes.
would they pay heed to the safety and keep their mouths shut whilst boozing with their mates?
I'd just try to keep it on the down low if I could, run the still when they are out boozing
As for safety, they wouldn't be involved without me for a LONG time!
Keeping their mouths shut? I'd say 80-90 % sure at minimum. But that seems to be a LOW number as far as this is concerned.
:roll:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

You can’t hide “the smells”. You may not notice them any more, but they’re still around. Other household residents no doubt can smell the fermenters, or even the still on “distillation Saturday”. So, they’re not as “blind” to your hobby as you think.

Preaching safety and discretion is wise and responsible. That’s the most important thing to learn in this hobby.

For laughs (and a period of bonding time), flip on the Discovery channel and watch the clowns on Moonshiners together. But don’t forget to stress safety, discretion, and responsibility.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

No, nada, nyet, no way. "Do I like children, yes I do, boiled or broiled or in a stew! " (Shel Silverstein circa 1960 something, Playboy Magazine ). Or as W.C. Field's once said, "Yes, I do.....when prepared properly !"
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

I often wonder if, during my college days/age, if I had known how to distill likker what would have happened. Inevitably I tell myself the truth that I was an immature fool who would have burned the house down, been arrested, or worse! I would agree with keeping your little secret maybe a little longer. Best of luck!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

rgreen2002 wrote:I often wonder if, during my college days/age, if I had known how to distill likker what would have happened. Inevitably I tell myself the truth that I was an immature fool who would have burned the house down, been arrested, or worse! I would agree with keeping your little secret maybe a little longer. Best of luck!
:D

In my college days, making likker would have freed up more money for buying pot (or convincing freshman girls to come home with me) 8)

I was lucky to go to college between the pill and aids. Life was good (or at least interesting) then.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I start mine young on the path of appreciating quality and keeping their frackin mouts shut ! Use a belt if ya hafta or a mash paddle to a rib-cage (aka; tickling em). Teach them - the way - and they will appreciate it when they are older... And you have a cellar full of quality to pass along - they best keep up the spirit and never forget the face of their father ;)

Once you tell someone you can't un-tell and they'll be expecting and asking for some more of the good sippins...

Ciao!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

My kids are all still pretty young but I plan on teaching my son everything I learn in this trade. I was raised not to be a snitch and he will be taught the same thing. I actually can't wait for him to get old enough to give me a hand. As of now he knows daddy makes beer.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I've a seven year old and a almost 17year old. Both help me run the still and the oldest is becoming quite the wine maker himself. The youngest thinks we make beer and wine. It's a family joke that we call the shed Vegas as in what happens there stays there.
I think that it's actually made my oldest boy more responsible as he goes to parties and is the dd for his friends. He won't drink store bought and if he wants to drink a bit asks me and does it at home. On a almost weekly basis one of his friends parents call me and thank me for him being responsible enough to take their drunk kids home from parties. I'm prouder than hell of him.
Jbt
Your results may vary.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

My 26 year old daughter and 23 year old son grew up with a lot of wine making going on. They have both grown up with the euro thinking about alcohol consumption, and sure they drink but not as stupid as some of our friends kids (or me at their age).

That said - my son when he returned from collage had on his own learned how to brew beer and has a good handle on the craft, it's fun to share a drop with him and he knows the quality of what he is drinking. He also knows the rules - your results may vary.

OVZ
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Old Town wrote:My kids are all still pretty young but I plan on teaching my son everything I learn in this trade. I was raised not to be a snitch and he will be taught the same thing. I actually can't wait for him to get old enough to give me a hand. As of now he knows daddy makes beer.
I've got a boy almost 3 and girl almost 5. They boy wants to do everything I do, anytime I pour a drink he wants to smell. I'm hoping when he gets older I can teach him about this hobby and share it with him. Thats probably 20yrs off though lol
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

It's not only a nope from me, but a hell naw.
Kin or not, letting a kid in on a felony is just irresponsible. Both to you and them. Why give them that burden, and that ability to fuck things up so badly?

You can teach them all you want about safety and discretion. But those are pretty much the 2 things kids are known to lack. As in biologically incapable of dependably making good judgements on either count up to about 20. Add booze into the mix and you can extend that at least through mid 20's.

I plan to clue mine in on most of my secrets from a distance when old enough to appreciate it, and up close when old enough to trust 100% and when I wouldn't feel like a dick putting that burden on them.

Think about it this way, if you had a wild dirty sex affair going on with the preacher's wife that their mother didn't know about, would you trust your kids with the secret? And even if you trusted them whats the point of puttin the burden on them?

I recognize I have a strong opinion. Please taken it for what it is, an opinion shared amongst friends. Of course I respect everyone to make their own decisions about their own affairs.

One thing I'll throw out, I know for sure of 2 distillers in my town, and strong suspicions on a 3rd. I've never met them, nor they me. All 3 I know of via their kids running their mouths. Of course that's a good teaching opportunity for mine to not run their own mouths, general security culture, oversharing etc. But if I've heard it, it's just a matter of time till 1 of the sheriffs or anyone with a grudge hears it.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

zapata wrote:It's not only a nope from me, but a hell naw.
I recognize I have a strong opinion. Please taken it for what it is, an opinion shared amongst friends. Of course I respect everyone to make their own decisions about their own affairs.
Thanks to everyone for their opinion, strong or otherwise. I'm old enough not to be offended by strong opinions whether I share them or not.
Couple of things have happened to make me lean heavily to the HELL NAW side.
Last couple of days they have been fighting worse than me and my first wife. I had thought getting them involved would make them much more serious and mature. Gotta face facts that I was just HOPING that would happen. It's obvious they'd rather "win" than be practical. That's not going to change anytime soon.

I was just watching this weeks Moonshiners. Showed the Cajuns Patti and David and Patti's teenage son was out in the woods at the still site with them.
One of those moments you just look at and think, "No, that's a bad idea." I''ve figured out-go with your gut, you never regret it.
Thanks everybody!
:wtf:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

4 Kids that I paid for spent their formative years( my outlaw years) with me . They learned from day 1 that we didn't share the family secrets . Family is first .
3 took this advice . The middle child went to live with her Mother and became BAG . Also got a job with the FBI and felt honor bound to dime me out 'for what I was exposing the children(grandchildren)to .
The other 3 (all college grads) asked her whether she wanted to be part of a family or orphan herself .
She chose family .
Not something we rub in her face . Just mind your own bidness .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .