Recommend Bourbon Trail stops?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Recommend Bourbon Trail stops?

Post by BoomTown »

Looks like we'll be able to do this trip this spring. Have you any "must see" stops we ought to include?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
crazy
Novice

Re: Recommend Bourbon Trail stops?

Post by crazy »

Being from Ky and after taking Crow & Captainhooch there for their tour , I would recommend Alltech Lexington Brewing & Distilling Co which is the home of Town Branch Bourbon . If I remember correctly it was 10 dollars a head but you get to tour the beer making side as well & get plenty of samples in the end . They are building another multi-million dollar distillery south of me about an hour which i have applied to work at . In hopes you enjoy the trip :thumbup:
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

crazy wrote:Being from Ky and after taking Crow & Captainhooch there for their tour , I would recommend Alltech Lexington Brewing & Distilling Co which is the home of Town Branch Bourbon . If I remember correctly it was 10 dollars a head but you get to tour the beer making side as well & get plenty of samples in the end . They are building another multi-million dollar distillery south of me about an hour which i have applied to work at . In hopes you enjoy the trip :thumbup:
thanks Crazy..., we've circled Alltech as a must see....Am interested in Bardstown sites too...
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Heaven Hill Distillery, and Woodford Reserve around there also..An hour or two west of Lexington and Versailles is Owensboro, Ky..Home to OZ Tyler and a couple other notable distilleries..Believe Old Forrester around there...Stiff competition around Western Ky as well.
OZ Tyler is currently building hotel and restaurant to accommodate the tourist crowd.
Distilleries all around...Try Hopkinsville, McClean Co, ask and ye shall find. :D
Some not on the Trail per say, but are offering up bourbon and/are ageing and applying .
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Also, according to distillery trail.com, Buffalo Trace distillery
is planning a $1.4 billion expansion project..And tourism is up 18%...Another place to visit.
Jeptha Creed folks are friends of mine and an excellent choice for a visit..Check em out..Women owned, home grown.
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

I have been to Jim Beam's distillery and highly recommend it as a MUST in your journey.
It will shock you how old school and true to their roots, they have kept the process and equipment.

They let you taste the mash, clear distillate, and of course sample several varieties of their final products.
Great tour.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Willette outside of bardstown was awesome
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

OK, push is coming to shove for lining up our upcoming distillery tour.

Plan is to start at Bardstown, then Lexington. On the list so fare, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Heaven Hill, Alltech.

Anyone have any other suggested "must see" distilleries we ought to include?

Boom
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

MoonBreath wrote:Also, according to distillery trail.com, Buffalo Trace distillery
is planning a $1.4 billion expansion project..And tourism is up 18%...Another place to visit.
Jeptha Creed folks are friends of mine and an excellent choice for a visit..Check em out..Women owned, home grown.
Moonbreath, is this your neighbor hood? Can I use your name when asking for a tour of the Jeptha Creed Distillery?
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Pm sent your way.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

And then there's Bulleit Distillery, a huge new facility that may be finished by the time y'all come around.
Downtown Louisville..A must see for sure.
Corky Taylor, the founder's grandson is from downtown Horeshoe Bend..Henry Kraver started Peerless Distilling way back...Plenty of good readn on Kraver's efforts and Peerless success..Distillery closed, power corp bought the property...Corky wanted to start Bulleit downtown on the same property, power corp wouldn't sell, so Louisville opened up there arms to him and the rest is history.
Corky had a top notch delicatessen and restaurant here before he left..Good peeps..Knows all my family..One of my best friends, Joe is their top salesman round here..They've given him select chrome bottles, pink gold watches, and other assorted gifts for quota successes.
Heck, y'all may wanta move down heren. :D
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but this is as good as any place, better than most.
Was travelling on I-65 between Nashville & Chicago.
Did a search and discovered Dueling Grounds Distillery in Franklin.
Sounded like a bit of hype but I needed to stretch my legs.
It is a nice size "little" operation that most of us would like to have.
The "dueling grounds" aspect gives a nice little marketing twist to it.
Here is a video with the owner. I didn't meet him and I didn't see this until afterward:

My son was with me and we didn't have time to tour but we did some tasting and the young man Santos seemed to know his stuff.
He was very proud of the fact that they were preparing for their initial release of Straight Bourbon December 1.
Beautiful bottle (website photo):
Linkumpinch Bourbon - small.png
Interesting thing is the mashbill is 66/22/11 wheated Bourbon - don't know what happened to the other 1 percent. Santo told me it's aged in a #3 char.
It was a nice visit. In addition to their White Dog and Apple Pie products, they did have samples such as Weller Antique 107 that I can't get in Alabama.
The White Dog still had a little bite to it, but I did like the Weller 107.

A couple of hours up the road in Clermont was Jim Beam.
Jim Beam Clermont Entrance.png
I was REALLY disappointed because we hit a time zone change to Eastern, lost an hour and the Stillhouse was closed.
Jim Beam Clermont.png
Even though it was closed, we did drive around the grounds a bit.
I rolled the window down and told my son I was suprised I didn't smell any mash.
Then it hit us both.
My son being the resident smartass, looked at me, rolled his eyes and said, "It smells like the garage when you're cooking."
:roll: