Craigslist never ceases to be gross

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Craigslist never ceases to be gross

Post by Alchemist75 »

As a side profession I do leather work. I make all manner of delightful things and custom work is my favorite by far. I recently posted an ad on Craigslist under the artists section promoting myself and showing off some pieces I've done. Honestly I didn't expect much from the ad but the reply I got was fairly disgusting. In one photo I have a picture of a leather corset I produced on the girl I made it for. In the shot her head is not visible and only her upper thighs (fully clothed) are in the shot. The focus of the shot is the corset, not the girl. I got an email from a gentleman inquiring if I modeled any of my work. I have done modeling in the recent past so I asked him if he was seeking to get a few photos. In response he said he just wanted "company". When I asked him exactly what he meant by "company" and he replied "the girl". For fuck sake. I almost never post on Craigslist and this is why. The whole site is overrun with creepoids and very lonely people. I don't know why I even bothered.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM
Bushman
Admin

Re: Craigslist never ceases to be gross

Post by Bushman »

We sell on Craig's list all the time but my wife never meets them alone at our house if it's a big item and if it's a small item usually meet at a public location.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

This is wise sir. Some of the stuff I've run into responding to ads or placing them on CL have been downright bizarre. I largely avoid the site though it's gotten me a legitimate hit here and there. Creepy.
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

I've sewn (leather and all) as a hobby for well over thirty years, but I have a day job that provides quite sufficiently so my sewing is kept to very custom work. I was out there on Craig's List for all but a week, I occasionally have to take down my Facebook page, removed all modeled photos. People really suck, their reasoning often seems like something out of a meth dream.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

My work had a solid following while I was still active on facebook and it brought in a few bigger commissions. I have a deviantart account but I barely use it. Etsy is too big of a market place. I sell small baubles locally and those are often the most popular: $30 or less though I'll not quit my day job for it which I love anyway.
It seems like most of the problems arise from Craigslist stuff. The site is just such a magnet for fucked up individuals with hidden motives. It's a small wonder they pulled down the personals and a bit mind blowing the site continues to operate the way it does. I guess as long as it's profitable they'll keep the bar as low as they can get away with.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I bought a bunch of carboys off CL once. It was the weirdest experience. Dude would not exchange #’s and was super flakey. It was probably 14 carboys mixed sizes. Not insignificant. We met for the exchange in a kroger parking lot which was fine but he was an hour late and wouldn’t answer emails. Was a great deal and I use them often but I almost bailed.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

We don't seem to have Craigslist in uk - I wonder why not ? :?

Anyone noticed eBay sales dropped through the floor this last few months ? :?
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

I don't know for certain but I think Craigslist is largely an American phenomena. The site, at one point, was a good place to trade goods and services as well as a place to post personal ads before the advent of dating sites. It's become a hot bed of scams, prostitution, criminal activity and has even lead to a few notable murders. It's gotten a bad rap in the last decade or so. EBay, so I'm told, is an unreliable service provider. I only use Amazon due to their customer care reputation. They've always come through for me even if the products ordered take 6 weeks to get to me.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Pixx plz.... haha
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

I got some sexxxxy ones for ya, gas mask and bondage gear ;). I'll send you a link to my website, it'll just require your social security number, credit card number, phone and home address....just so I know you're real.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Yeah some murders here in the PNW.
I'm very careful dealing with anyone on CL.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

We have Marktplaats (marketplace) as a kind of open garage sale / loppedmarket.
Works quiet well for me, never heard of any real problems (other than uncertain buyers/sellers or the like.)
But of course we are not allowed to carry lethal weapons, so we feel rather safe.
Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Post by Alchemist75 »

Kareltje wrote:We have Marktplaats (marketplace) as a kind of open garage sale / loppedmarket.
Works quiet well for me, never heard of any real problems (other than uncertain buyers/sellers or the like.)
But of course we are not allowed to carry lethal weapons, so we feel rather safe.
Yeah, the right to bear arms is a double edged sword (no pun intended).
The second amendment reads:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

If you notice the context of the sentence it specifically refers to a "well regulated militia" and "right to bear arms" in one statement. The population of the U.S. has completely forgotten that the whole point of the second amendment was to ensure:
-that the people could defend themselves from hostile outside threats
-that the people could rise up in armed rebellion against corrupt government.
Everyone forgets that it's a gross abuse of the privilege when they turn their weapons against otherwise innocent countrymen. That privilege exists solely so we can protect our country as a unified people, not so we can go around shooting each other.
I have a collection of various weapons including a gun but for the most part they hang on the wall for display. I love my weapons butI have no desire to turn them on anyone unless they threaten my home, my family or my homeland. I'm a total pacifist, I like to talk my problems out, not fight. Besides, I help heal the sick as a profession, I don't like the idea of more hurt people in need of aid. It's a shame kareltje, damn shame about the idiots who live in my country.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Kareltje wrote:But of course we are not allowed to carry lethal weapons, so we feel rather safe.
No offense but that statement is just plane false. There is nothing in your country, or any country, that keeps any criminals from carrying a butcher knife, or club or illegal gun or any number of weapons, don't kid yourself that it doesn't happen. Here in the US we also have laws against criminals carrying weapons but criminals are just that, Criminals and will find a weapon when they need one whether or not they are "allowed to".

Personally I hate dealing with craigslist because there are so many flakes and apparently scams that for the life of me I can't figure out what they are trying to accomplish. Offerup seems just as bad, I guess if more people have access to an add the flaky ones will respond along with the normal ones.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

As this thread is completely irrelevant anyways, I wouldn't give 2 shits about closing it. But the next person that responds with a word on guns, will find themselves with the next step in their personal adventure in board strikes. And this thread will never exist.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."