Question about prices on that TV show that starts with M

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MacCubbin
Novice

Question about prices on that TV show that starts with M

Post by MacCubbin »

Before I get flamed for this, I did search the forum and couldn't find this discussed anywhere. If it's there, I blame my searching skills, or lack thereof.

Yes, I know that Moonshiners on The Discovery Channel isn't realistic, that it's controversial here, and I consider it to be entertainment only - NOT a guide to making liquor. Frankly, a lot of it just doesn't make sense to me - hence this question.

Here's my long question: In the current season - season 9 - I hear the 'moonshiners' negotiating prices. I've seen episodes where they wanted from $100 to $240 a gallon - and I just can't fathom those prices. I mean, I thought the idea of for-profit moonshine was to illegally avoid taxes and regulation and thereby provide a cheaper product to the drinking public. I've always thought moonshine's purpose was to get drunk cheaply.
Why so much money for moonshine when you can go to a liquor store and buy decent legal alcohol for less? My goodness, you can get a bottle of MacCallan or Glenmorangie single-malt Scotch for less than or around a gallon price of $200 - $240! Can it be possible that their moonshine is so darn good that they can get $200 or more a gallon?

I mean, are these prices total BS? Am I missing something?
"All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business." - Red Green
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Question about prices on that TV show that starts with M

Post by jonnys_spirit »

That’s make believe. But the rules of supply and demand just work.

How hard is it in your area to get a mason jar full of (lord knows wtf) real backwoods moonshine?

How many folks in your area want that ^^ ?

Make it yourself. It’ll be better. It’ll be more economical.

Don’t sell don’t tell.

Good luck!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Several factors play in to the price of illegal moonshine. Rarely, almost never, does it have to do with quality of the product!

People are paying $25-$40 a quart for illegal booze, of no standard ABV or quality control.

First there is the allure of it being "Outlaw." Pure marketing magic that. So perfect that even legal distillers want to call their product Moonshine.

Second it is being sold where/when legal booze is not available. By being in a dry county the price goes way up, and by selling to minors, the price goes way up. Then being able to buy it when Blue Laws are in effect, Sundays, after hours or in locations such as State Parks, lakes, the price goes way up.

Here's the best con- moonshiners/bootleggers in my area aren't making the stuff they sell. Buying EverClear at a liqour store and the like, watering it down, mixing it with your favorite flavor (fruit or spices) and reselling it as Moonshine. This is really no different than a legal distiller buying NGS or automotive grade ethanol and bottling it for sale.

Like every other consumer product, people will fall for some really stupid advertising.

These TV shows help drive the hype!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
MacCubbin
Novice

Post by MacCubbin »

Thanks for the replies, Jonny & DAD. I understand it a little better now!
"All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business." - Red Green
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

rule j It is the hope of this forum to promote the legalization of hobby distilling here in the United States. One of our goals is to prove that quality products can be created safely by the home distiller for personal use. Any discussion of selling, bartering or trading any distilled liquor unless by a licensed distillery will not tolerated. Such posts will be edited, deleted or locked, and the poster removed from this site. #
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper