Quarantine and isolation

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

thecroweater
Master Distiller

Re: Quarantine and isolation

Post by thecroweater » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Just a quick update for anyone interested, my Aunty seems to have recovered all be it with some permanent respiratory damage. Still that is a better outcome than it could have been as her fit and healthy 62 year old friend she was supposed to be quarrentined with passed away, also my uncle is out of the woods and doing just fine. Home schooling is keeping me on my toes and causing me to use my long idle brain to assist them. The two highschool kids are applying themselves well but my youngest is a constant struggle to keep him motivated, any of you guys going through this have strategies for motivating a 9 year old feel free to chip in :thumbup: .
Last edited by thecroweater on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:56 pm

Good stuff Crow :thumbup: Glad to hear Aunty is out of the woods :thumbup:

acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Glad to hear alls well with the family

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:14 pm

thecroweater wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:46 pm
but my youngest is a constant struggle to keep him motivated, any of you guys going through this have strategies for motivating a 9 year old feel free to chip in :thumbup: .
they say go with what the kid likes.

i liked motorcycles and guns when i was nine.

never mind, nothing changed.

oh shit. wait a minute, maybe they were on to something. :lol:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.

Jstroke
Bootlegger

Post by Jstroke » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:43 am

thecroweater wrote:
Just a quick update for anyone interested, my Aunty seems to have recovered. The two highschool kids are applying themselves well but my youngest is a constant struggle to keep him motivated, any of you guys going through this have strategies for motivating a 9 year old feel free to chip in :thumbup: .
Crow, glad family is recovering. In relation to the kids, i suppose id try to remember that the high school kids are probably pretty focused on their friends and honestly if they can get wifi and stay connected they dont much care what is happening. The nine year old however is at that prime age where the daily structure really matters, and poof that just went out the window. So i would structure their day. Set a schedule. Same time up, breakfast, a little school, maybe out to stretch the legs, back to work, lunch etc. Also take schooling in smaller lengths of time. Just remember too. With all the distractions and hall bells and moving from one class to another how much actual time do they “learn”. As a adults, we can buckle down and not look up for 2,3,4 hours other than to refill the coffee cup. Hard to remember when our biggest worry was pizza or chicken nuggets
Beware of the old man in a young man’s game

contrahead
Swill Maker

Post by contrahead » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:45 am

My sister is an elementary school teacher. After watching her and her colleagues try to set up videoconferencing sessions and attempting to make them work, I can view the following video with greater alacrity...

Omnia mea mecum porto

Truckinbutch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Truckinbutch » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:05 pm

thecroweater wrote:
Just a quick update for anyone interested, my Aunty seems to have recovered all be it with some permanent respiratory damage. Still that is a better outcome than it could have been as her fit and healthy 62 year old friend she was supposed to be quarrentined with passed away, also my uncle is out of the woods and doing just fine. Home schooling is keeping me on my toes and causing me to use my long idle brain to assist them. The two highschool kids are applying themselves well but my youngest is a constant struggle to keep him motivated, any of you guys going through this have strategies for motivating a 9 year old feel free to chip in :thumbup: .
Good news on your Aunty .
The attention span of 9yr olds and 3 week old puppies are the same :
Twice the length of what you hit them with .
On our home front : SOH got a new kitten ; I got a little pussy here at home for a change . Second youngest granddaughter started a thousand nightcrawler worm ranch .
Next 2 granddaughters and a grandson got trophy size spring turkey gobblers .
We all showed a good friend how to can meat and helped her can 14 quarts of pork .
We are doing well .
Chemistry class starts next week when I start teaching them how to convert the starches in corn and other grains into fermetable sugars and extract 'hand sanitizer' and mouthwash .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .

Twisted Brick
Distiller

Post by Twisted Brick » Fri May 01, 2020 11:46 am

thecroweater wrote:
The two highschool kids are applying themselves well but my youngest is a constant struggle to keep him motivated, any of you guys going through this have strategies for motivating a 9 year old feel free to chip in :thumbup: .
When I was 9 (4th grade) I always made sure I was first in line to walk from the playground into the classroom at the start of every day, lunch and recesses. What made me so motivated was my teacher leading us was a short-skirted fox, and I found myself literally mesmerized by her shapely legs and the line that ran up the back of her stockings. Oops! You were asking for motivation to focus on schoolwork!

My two olders have been great role models for my youngest daughter, originally easily distracted and only mildly motivated. Their transition from students to the working world straight out of college has proved an excellent example of the rewards gleaned from hard work and following directions. She has developed into a diligent student and demanding of results. Maybe schedule a specific time for all three of yours to study together, and your son might benefit from the attention and camaraderie.

Kudos to your aunt for fighting through her ordeal and rejoining the family.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun

thecroweater
Master Distiller

Post by thecroweater » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:09 am

Ok well second wave is in full swing in Victoria Australia and cases are growing exponentially so things are going back to full lockdown right across the state. Melbourne is in stage 4 with masks cerfews etc but in regional Vic is stage 3 with a lot of businesses being closed or restricted, schools shutting down and for the first time masks. So in a few days home schooling will start and non essential travel heavily restricted.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

Truckinbutch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Truckinbutch » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:54 pm

Similar here . Got to pass Jed's party because of 2 week quarantine for out of state travel and a scheduled Dr. appointment that I have to make .
Sucks . But , that's life in the slow lane .
Good news is that son-in-law and granddaughter tested negative for COVID . Just bad chest colds . Still , those are rare here this time of year .
Odd times we are living in .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .