Getting that boat?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Getting that boat?

Post by Expat »

Was there any alarm for engine temp? It's possible your cold water intake sucked in some debris which caused the engine to overheat. The area around moorings are often full of garbage.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

No, engine temps were fine. Checked those filters and no clogging there. If the fuel filters check out okay, tomorrow, there might be another explanation. Too abrupt a switch from "forward" into "reverse", not giving the clutch time to properly engage, and stalling the engine IN gear. Let's hope it was just my fatigue/stupidity/inexperience!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Boating is always an adventure.
Here's a little story from last summer:

I was at a fishing camp in SE Alaska and we had taken the "big" boat out for a Halibut trip.
We had gone out about 2.5 hours from camp to a truly scenic area where we have historically caught a lot of halibut.
After fishing a little while we started smelling fuel (never a good sign).
Someone had bumped into the fuel filter which was found to have rusted through.
Now the motor would not start, because of the break in the fuel line.
There was a bit of panic among the crew and the fishermen/women as they thought we might have to try and get back to camp on the little 9hp kicker motor, which would have taken around 8 or more hours.
That was the choice the "captain" made, however I stepped up and asked if it would be ok if I tried a repair that could get us back on the main engine.
It was agreed, so I took inventory of everything we had including things in the ladies purses / packs.
Someone had a lip balm tube that looked about the right size to make a connection between the incoming and outgoing fuel lines. I scavenged two clamps, cut the fuel lines close to the filter housing and joined them tightly and clamped them.
We started the main engine and got back to camp full throttle.

Just another boating adventure.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

:clap:

Now that's an amazing story!

Thanks for sharing.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Odin wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:13 am The great thing? We worked together as a team. And there is a bottle of cold vodka in the fridge ...
Great ending to any story :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations to you and your family.
Missus and I wish you and your family many happy and safe years of enjoyment on your new adventure.

Johnny
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks Johnny! Still looking back to that amazing few days we spend in Chicago some 5, 6 years ago. If you guys ever find yourselves in the Netherlands, you're all invited for a re-match at my place!

Odin.
BusyHive
Novice

Post by BusyHive »

Phew Odin, glad your maiden voyage didn't end up like Gilligan's Island :P

I remember when we were kids, we went on a fishing holiday on a nearby lake. Dad (who is not a very patient Dutch man) decided that since the fish weren't biting much we should try a little bit of fishing pole trawling, at around 5 knots - lol, so the fish could keep up!

Anyway after about an hour of this we were on the other side of the lake when the motor quit, apparently outboard motors don't like idling along for too long. We had to call the coast guard to tow us back to the boat ramp.

That was all well and good until they inspected the boat. I remember Dad was very cranky because he was hit with a big fine for not having all of the required safety equipment on board.

That was the end of that fishing holiday :oops:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Get a sail?

Geoff
The Baker
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The Baker wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:33 am Get a sail?

Geoff
Most of the time I am out boating the sailboats are under power :mrgreen:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Boat didn't start this morning. Called a mechanic in and he quickly established the fuel was so corrupted that the filters had clogged up. He cleaned them (he came by boat, since we were docked at an island), we then sailed to Lemmer, a 10 click voyage only, where we met up again (this time he came by car) so that he could change the filters. That should get us home. When at home the first thing we'll need to have done is a professional cleaning the tanks and filter the diesel. Then we'll fill her up with GTL (synthetic diesel?) because that can't grow algae.

So all is fine now (even though the expert that checked-out the boat prior to us purchasing it IS in for a very sturdy conversation with me) and we sailed from Lemmer into the Noord-Oost Polder. We moored some 10 clicks from Emmeloord in the middle of a small nature/park. Had a steak. Then we celebrated our first (and second and third) lock ... and surviving them with the ship (and marriage) still in one piece ... with some vodka. Currently enjoying a glass of organic red wine. Life could be worse.

Tomorrow we'll negotiate some down-stream rivers and then the "Randmeren" that run under Flevoland and are relatively protected. "Protection" is nice, 'cause we don't want to stir-up the shit that floats in our diesel tank. Day after tomorrow we'll hit our homeport marina. Or so goes the planning.

The boat runs lovely. Sweet spot on minor canals seems to be around 1200 rpm and 10 clicks per hour. On lakes and bigger rivers 1400 rpm and 12 kph are just dandy. She tracks nicely. With a slight intention to turn left (propellor turns right). Today, I discovered AutoPilot, and I love it. You dial in a course, and the boat executes it. Allows me to stand up a bit more, and see the landscape pass by.

So far, the freaked-up diesel adventure included, the experience is everything I expected. Living live on slow time, which - if you are Odin - is quite a shift away from the normal 20 hour a day turbo-charged, full-speed-ahead lifestyle. Loving it. I even didn't answer some emails within like a day or so. My normal response time is probably closer to 10 minutes ... :)

On board a clear division of labor develops. I steer the ship. The mss. does the navigation and manages the lines when mooring or when dealing with locks or bridges. What I learned from my job as "skipper" so far, and on inland waterways, is that "slower" is the answer to almost everything. Now that's a break-away from me being me!

I'll try to upload some pics in a few minutes ...

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

All right, some pics with a short explanation.

Now isn't that a sturdy yacht? Not what I call your genuine Champagne kinda boat ... "purposeful" seems to better describe its design. Talking about the boat of-course!

cc350451-cb68-418a-bb6b-5c23edca25f6.jpg

The third lock we negotiated today had 5.5 meters of height-difference. That's 17 feet or there-abouts:

383f3c19-c93c-4911-8ae1-5d17b492cb1c.jpg

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Our current location:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/52%C2 ... 3355?hl=nl

Regards, Odin.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Autopilot is awesome!

Oh, a funny thing a yacht delivery captain told me was "if you cant tie a knot, tie a lot"

May the wind be at your back,

Black Hearts
The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage..
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Glad to see you using spring line while moored.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yeah, one spring at least. On bigger water two.

Regards, Odin.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

I am green with envy. Beautiful boat, beautiful wife, beautiful scenery. Lucky man.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Beautiful dog too! Let's not forget mans best friend!
Royco
Bootlegger

Post by Royco »

Odin I've never been a fan of motor-yachting but at my age I am starting to think it's a good option for short-handed cruising, like you are doing.
Looks like about 12 ~15 meters? Does she have a bow-thruster? It's great for tight manoeuvering in crosswinds.
Incidentally I did a lot of business with Holland before I sold out a few years ago. The machinery company was in Barneveld (Kip Wereld? :lol: ).
He lived on the mountain which was about 3 meters high at the summit, haha.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Three meters? That's above sea level and a bonus for sure!

Boat is 12.3 meters and does have a bow thruster.

Did a 10 hour stint today to make up for the bad of the day before. Pretty darn exhausted, but we did cover some ground. Probably around 90 - 100 clicks. Tomorrow is the last day of the trip and will see us moor "Liquid Management" at the Vinkeveen Marina. I think a good 6 to 7 hours to go still ...

Finishing my Heineken and off to bed ...

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yonder wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:13 pm I am green with envy. Beautiful boat, beautiful wife, beautiful scenery. Lucky man.
Thanks mate!
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Transatlantic is the next move!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Went out in the San Juan Islands last Friday through Monday, had a great time as we took my wife’s brother and his wife. 4 nights and 3 islands.
63AFFBE6-9DC1-40C6-B9AD-99BEF050D599.jpeg
903D62EC-5599-4788-86B1-ED556ADAC2D9.jpeg
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Bushman, that's beautiful. Living the life!!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Lovely! Thanks for sharing. Which boat is yours, Bushman?

In the mean time, we need to get our tanks and fuel cleaned, since it is totally and utterly infected. Stalled the engine twice. Sludge clogging up the filters, fuel not being able to get through.

The mechanic will come by on Wednesday. He'll cut and weld inspection hatches in place. One on each thank. Then use these as access point to get all the sludge out. The diesel will be cleansed as well.

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Black Hearts wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:27 am Transatlantic is the next move!
Two years from now. We first need to train quite a bit more. And we need a bigger boat that's ocean worthy. Working on that already.

Naamloos.png

Regards, Odin.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The bigger boat toward the back of the dock with the skiff on the back swim step. Today we travelled to our condo in the mountains in eastern Washington. We will be here for a week and today the temps hit 96 F.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Looking good!

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

In order to get the tanks and fuel cleaned, we had to set-off to another marina. The one where "Liquid Management" was currently at, didn't allow for third parties to work on boats, even though they themselves couldn't help out. Felt like being helt hostage almost, so time to leave.

Yesterday morning, we added an outboard engine to the swimming platform of "Liquid Management", as a back-up and fail-safe, and started sailing her from Vinkeveen to the Westeinder Plassen. A 55 click journey, that took us through the canals of Amsterdam, via the Angstel and the Amsterdam-Rhine-Channel.

Pretty tiring day, especially since there is that underlaying feeling that you are under way with a boat that needs some repairs. And negotiating some 15 bridges, and the Amsterdam canals ... yeah, tiring. But we made it and the boat is now at a much bigger slip in a much more professional marina. Diesel and tanks will be cleaned coming Wednesday. Here are some pics.

Negotiating the small Angstel river, entering the Amsterdam canals, and, here she is, in her new slip near Aalsmeer:

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

01eba898-794f-4c06-8879-1251f5a0b4dd.jpg
91ca679a-5ae0-4911-8ee8-e52fa2c7abe4.jpg
9cf35de8-4805-4ad5-84ab-f9d383783328.jpg
Regards, Odin.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Enjoying sharing your adventures.

Geoff
The Baker