Motorcyclist you have met

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Motorcyclist you have met

Post by shadylane »

Somewhere in the early 1980s while riding with my wife on a Z1 Kawasaki
We met a little old lady near Brigham City Utah that was going cross country from east to west.
I think she was from Australia or it could have been NZ
What I remember is she was driving from the side car of a 400cc ish Japanese motorcycle.

Also somewhere in the late 1980's I met two Canadians in Southern Utah at the western end of the Zion national park tunnel.
These boy's were a pair of real characters. They were riding older model 50 - 70cc ish Hondas.
They had started in Canada and were heading South, as in as far south as the roads or the little Hondas would take them.
I've often wondered how far they made it.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Motorcyclist you have met

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Wind therapy!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Corn Crib
Novice

Post by Corn Crib »

Even the bio-weapon virus cannot stop 80 years of Sturgis.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I've gone around Lake Michigan, Michigan to Atalanta and back twice. One day I'll go across from coast to coast.

I've met a lot of great people at gas stations and motorcycle events, we all do the 2 finger thing, and stop for each other. Hope for humanity!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Corn Crib wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:23 pm Even the bio-weapon virus cannot stop 80 years of Sturgis.
So another few more thousand infections coming your way :thumbup: :thumbup: way to go to anyone who doesn't think that the virus is a real threat.

Please be safe everyone
OVZ
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

I used to ride to Stevenson WA (hour ride to start) and hit this little coffee shack right at the edge of town, I'd sit there and sip a cup early in the morning. Bikes would come and go, but it wouldn't take long before someone would invite me along with their ride. I did this for many many years and often would never see these people again, back then my faith in humanity was a lot higher than it is now.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Desvio wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 pm back then my faith in humanity was a lot higher than it is now.
I've always been amazed by how well humanity actually works
Although, it sometimes seems to take two steps forward and one step back :lol:
Don't underestimate the upcoming young folks
Some of them got to start a step or two ahead of us. :wink:
JC973
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JC973 »

Motorcyclist I have met, man after all I have done in that world, that is quite a list, I have participated in the 6-days 3 times with some of the best enduro riders in the world during the 80’s. Got to race the Black Water 100, I have spent time on a frozen lake with Jay Springsteen & Scott Parker. Got to watch and hang out with the master of the antique Harley universe, Dale Walksler and beat his ass to win a hand shift field event in Iowa, sure miss that guy, he has an amazing museum in heart of shine country in NC. I have rode my 69 FLH to Sturgis and my KTM adventure bike all over this USA. I have raced enduro, hare scrambles, hare & hound, MX from my teens to my 40’s and I have the fused back and bad knees to prove it, lol. I still follow the pro MX/SX sport, I’m just amazed at their skill and work ethic, they are amazing athletes.
Last edited by JC973 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I have a real feeling of brotherhood with most other bikers.
Like they would truly do all they could to help me out if I were in trouble.
As I would for them.
It's more than just signaling to each other on the road, recognition of each other is good but it's more than that.
It goes deeper.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Early '90s I was trucking across the Mojave and came upon a broke down Angel . We loaded his sled on my trailer and I hauled him to Monkey's Hideout in Berdoo . For years after ; I could park there overnight and leave my doors unlocked . Drink as much as I wished at no charge .
Bless ya , Curry and Parson .
Would still like to get my 1980 80 inch Classic back in the wind . 18,000 mi and hasn't been run since 1991 .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

shadylane wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:28 pm They were riding older model 50 - 70cc ish Hondas.
They had started in Canada and were heading South, as in as far south as the roads or the little Hondas would take them.
You'd be surprised how though those little hondas are.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/going-no ... c.1357649/
He's gone south this time, same moped.

I met some great fellows, been helped out by random other bikers when my old junk bikes gave me problems, and got to repay the favor to others.

This one time I snapped the clutch cable on my way to work. I just got a replacement cable that morning but hadn't installed it yet.
I rang someones doorbell to borrow some tools and the guy said he had to leave for work. He gave me the keys to his house, told me to use whatever I needed from his garage and leave the keys in his mailbox when I'm done. He wasn't even a biker, just a great guy.

Plenty of good people left in this world.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

shadylane wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:28 pm
Somewhere in the late 1980's I met two Canadians in Southern Utah at the western end of the Zion national park tunnel.
These boy's were a pair of real characters. They were riding older model 50 - 70cc ish Hondas.
After a google search.
I just found out there are no highways or railroads between North and South America.
There's nothing that crosses the Darien Gap, just South of the Panama canal
That's a crazy fact that I never knew :roll:
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

shadylane wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:20 pm
shadylane wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:28 pm
Somewhere in the late 1980's I met two Canadians in Southern Utah at the western end of the Zion national park tunnel.
After a google search.
I just found out there are no highways or railroads between North and South America.
There's nothing that crosses the Darien Gap, just South of the Panama canal
That's a crazy fact that I never knew :roll:
Right, it's just too swampy and nobody has the money to build the kind of bridge it would take.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I have many stories involving meeting bikers, and I will share something from early in my life.

In the 60s and early 70s my father owned a fabrication and welding company in LA. Many of his employees were Hells Angels gang members. I was just a young boy at the time and I hung around the shop frequently. My favorite biker in the shop was a man named “The Parson”. He had been shot in the head 9 times with a 22 and was a bit slow, but we got along quite well. That crew built several Chopper bicycles for my brother and I.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

OtisT wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:07 pm I have many stories involving meeting bikers, and I will share something from early in my life.

In the 60s and early 70s my father owned a fabrication and welding company in LA. Many of his employees were Hells Angels gang members. I was just a young boy at the time and I hung around the shop frequently. My favorite biker in the shop was a man named “The Parson”. He had been shot in the head 9 times with a 22 and was a bit slow, but we got along quite well. That crew built several Chopper bicycles for my brother and I.

Otis
Very good story Otis, sounds like good people who may have been a little rough around the edges.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Corn Crib
Novice

Post by Corn Crib »

>So another few more thousand infections coming your way :thumbup: :thumbup: way to go to anyone who doesn't think that the virus is a real threat.

You mean the virus that 99% of people survive? Yea, I'll gladly take those odds.

https://www.oann.com/ucla-stanford-stud ... -in-19-1m/
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Corn Crib wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:28 pm >So another few more thousand infections coming your way :thumbup: :thumbup: way to go to anyone who doesn't think that the virus is a real threat.

You mean the virus that 99% of people survive? Yea, I'll gladly take those odds.

https://www.oann.com/ucla-stanford-stud ... -in-19-1m/
So why haven’t the mods locked this thread?
JBC
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I passed through Sturgis in the early 1990's on a ratty Harley shovel head
It didn't take long to figure out it wasn't my cup of tea.
90% of the bikes got there on trailers and pickup trucks
The place reminded me of a costume party, with people walking around in full leathers on a hot day :roll:

When some folks head to Sturgis, here's a great museum to spend a couple days exploring
https://www.barbermuseum.org/