Back set honey wash went bust

Moderator: Site Moderator

VAHillbilly
Novice

Back set honey wash went bust

Post by VAHillbilly »

Ok my first run on honey was a success. But, the second went sideways. I used the whole back set from the first run, added more honey and used a different kind of yeast. Red Star dry active distillers yeast (DADY) the last run I used bakers yeast. I used 1 gram per gal of mash started it before I added it to the mash and it stalled never got off the first bubble. So I went to reading some more and figured my start was to hot. I started 10 more grams in a bowl with some of the mash. Seemed to do alot better. Added it to mash after about 15 minutes of starting, airiated by pouring from bucket to bucket and put the lid on. This seemed to get it going. Bubbles were a steady roll, unlike the bakers bubbles which could have won a race.
Now, the bubbles stopped Thursday or Friday I opened it Sunday check the hydro 1.070 (og of 1.082) way weak and very sweet. But, I went ahead and ran it. I got one pint of hearts at 40%. Decent flavor but weak.
What went wrong?
Also, I added a pint of tails to the mash.
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Re: Back set honey wash went bust

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

I usually do not use more than 1/4 backset when making a sourmash whiskey. I could see problems using all the backset.
VAHillbilly
Novice

Post by VAHillbilly »

I was wondering about that. After I started it I found some info on that subject.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Fermenting honey "mead" can be difficult. Using backset for the liquid is an invitation to a staled ferment.
VAHillbilly
Novice

Post by VAHillbilly »

I'll save it for an additive to a sugar or corn run. Fresh for honey's from here on.