Yeast choices

Moderator: Site Moderator

alohashine
Novice

Yeast choices

Post by alohashine »

What's your go-to yeast? I make primarily rum washes...

I have used DADY yeast, champagne yeast, liquid beer yeast, and bakers yeast all with good success. DADY is probably the most efficient but I wonder if it strips the flavor out of my finished product. I like the cheap price tag on bulk bakers yeast, but I've heard that it's not very high alcohol tolerant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Yeast choices

Post by shadylane »

There's many qualities to think about when selecting the right yeast
And high alcohol tolerance is close to the bottom of the list :lol:
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

For rum I use lallemand RM, but it's not easy to get for the home distiller. I have had good luck with red star bread yeast from Costco. It's only a few $ per pound and readily available. That is where I would start.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
alohashine
Novice

Post by alohashine »

shadylane wrote:There's many qualities to think about when selecting the right yeast
Ok. I make primarily molasses washes for rum with a copper pot still. What yeast would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
googe
retired

Post by googe »

I've always used bakers for rum. High alc content rum washes will have off flavours.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Personally i use one of the higher alcohol yeasts (NOT TUr bo) - usually low temperature ones. I do like to run fairly high abvs (14% ish) - just seems logical to do so if it can be done without detriment to flavour - However they are significantly slower than dumping a cup full of bakers yeasts in there at high temperature. Lalvin ec 1118 is commonly regarded as a very "clean" yeast, but can be quite costly.

I too have heard of poor flavours from baker's yeast, but cannot really say as I have not used it.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

This very subject was discussed way back when somewhere and the notes I took from it say Baker's for rum.
That's what I've been using in my rum since. No off-flavor ever.
Do have to keep it warm, though.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

alohashine wrote:
shadylane wrote:There's many qualities to think about when selecting the right yeast
Ok. I make primarily molasses washes for rum with a copper pot still. What yeast would you recommend?
Bakers yeast, and I'd sacrifice some of the yeast for nutrients
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

bluefish_dist wrote:For rum I use lallemand RM, but it's not easy to get for the home distiller. I have had good luck with red star bread yeast from Costco. It's only a few $ per pound and readily available. That is where I would start.
I also use Lallemand RM yeast for my rum. It is also known as EDV-493 from some other suppliers. I tried bakers, DADY, and Lallemand SR yeast as well and none of them compare in my opinion for making rum. The light fruity floral esters that RM makes just aren't possible with those other yeast strains

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bakers yeast and control the fermenter temperature. I never let rum fall below 86F until it goes dead.

If you want a higher yield, get a bigger fermenter rather than pushing the SG limits for your yeast.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

For Molasses Rum, Bakers Yeast is as good as most things, Ive only ever heard good things about EDV-493 for rum, but have never used it my self.
EC1118 would be the last yeast Id use for rum unless I was trying to make a very light flavored girly type of white rum.