harley / Falbygdens Bränneri AB Sweden

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: harley / Falbygdens Bränneri AB Sweden

Post by harley03 »

Many thanks.
This copper column is from Hillbilly stills and a have 2pc from them, one to left and one to right with the product cooler, a only made 2pc new reflux cooler with side outlet because a need to save about 20cm in height and a also wanted to have 1pc temp after/over the reflux cooler…… but a need to paint them with sapronlack so they look the same as the column before a use them…

I don’t do any smaller column than 8” and it is much easier to work with bigger column than smaller and my “standard” is 400liter mash, 8” column and 3pc 5500watts ATEX/EX electric heaters with 3,1 watt cm2.. with this low watt density then you don’t need bain marie ore steam heated boilers…

We here up in the could north have access to rely much electric power so that issnt any problem .

But a have look a little into this with steam heated boiler and IF a shall do that then a shall have a copper spiral inside the boiler and close to the bottom… this is a good solution for me and easy to mach the government/law with…

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Does anyone using this Digital SSR Power Regulator for Wort Boiling Control that Auber is selling. This a shall test to regulate 1pc ssr to this plant.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Today my approved safety valve arrive with a set pressure Below 0,5bar so my boiler is classified "Open wessel" Inside hole EU .....

Mitt lilla 100 liters kokkärl rymmer ca 112 liter mäsk och här är max anslutningseffekt 5,5kw
5,5kW; 9,9kg/h mättad ånga.
Ni10.2C G½x½” do12,5 Pö=0,4barg

Niezgodka Säkerhetsventil med hus i syrafast stål och
försedd med mjutätning av silikon och gastät kåpa.
Anslutning inlopp: G ½” Utv gänga
Anslutning utlopp: G ½” Inv gänga

Material i ventilhus: Syrafast stål 1.4581
Material i inlopp: Syrafast stål 1.4571
Material i innerdelar: Syrafast stål 1.4571/ 1.4581
Tätning säte/ kägla: Metall/ Q silikon
Öppningstryck, Pö: 0,4 bar g
Kapacitet ånga vid Pö: Q= 18,3 kg/h

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Next boiler to made is this with 6pc 5500watt ATEX/EX electik heaters ( in the backside ) and kone and hat in pure 3mm copper and rest in 3mm ss with insulation and wood/ek on the outside.

This is both for "show" and use....

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Sieve plate test with 2,0mm punched hole and to 5500watt/ 22,9 amp 240 volt power

I have tested some different numbers of 2,0mm hole ( punched hole so they are exact in size) and compare this with 5500watt power at max all time and from about 10% mash %

My own conclusion after testing the optimum effect/power to a /1pc 2.0mm sieve hole, that is 30 watt is max/best and over this effect it will not work well.

Example 5500watt = 183pc ( punched) 2,0mm hole if you want to be able to go for 100% power/5500watt.

By the way my test have been made with 10-12mm tray deep/return pipe over the plate.

Would be interesting to here what you others have come forward to!

Cheers from Sweden
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

So how did you test a single plate? Or we're there more plates?
Why did you limit this test as you call it ..to only 5500 watts?
Why such a shallow fluid bed?
Did you actually distill something?
If so what was it?
What was the outcome of that product? Final ABV etc.?
How did you reach your conclusion? And why?
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Hi fs.
I shall answer to yours questions Now I'm Legal and verified manufacturers then a have to keep within the legal limits, , unlike you and many other anonymous moonshiners,

So how did you test a single plate? Or we're there more plates?
Answer: 4pc plates in a Swedish 4” copper pipe with a inside mm of 104mm because this is my test size for it,s cheap and easy to build to test in…..
But this is not so important because you shall have same result in a 5” column with same hole size and number of them…..

Why did you limit this test as you call it ..to only 5500 watts?
Answer: My legally 70cm long ATEX/EX heaters have 5500watt and take 22,9 amp 240volt and have 3,1watt cm2 and a have only 1pc in my smalls 100 liters boiler with 4” on top and a have had this Legally heaters for some time now and they have 10cm cold part in the beginning so a rely now that a have all the hot part of the element Inside my boiler and note any hot element part in a small ferrule on the outside like it is with Camco 5500element and 2” ferrule….

Why such a shallow fluid bed?
Answer: That’s is a good question! Now a go for this “ low” height because this is the height that a shall have later in 8” with 4 plates when a made tasted products ( and compare it with single bubbelcaps plate) because if you go with higher tray deep then you get a different product with higher % and less/different taste from mash and a can always go for higher tray deep if a want but not lower that the “original” height that the return pipe is hard solder in and also a higher tray deep needs more power to note collapse with 2,0mm hole.

Did you actually distill something?
Answer: Yes, a have testing this for some time after a get my Legally ATEX/EX heaters and now when a am 100% sure of the exact power to 100l mash a have then a share this.. … and am sharing some of my builds that you all can se on my foto/pictures before in this tread.
If so what was it?
Pure suger mash because a only testing plates and hole size, hole nr and power My 1000 L mash facility is not finished yet so I can not mashing of malted barley yet.. so a go for the sugar mash only for testing out the performance of the different plates and performance with a given % of the mash.
I have started to look rely much of my mash equipment ( now when a finish with this 2,0mm hole/max power) and a have some ideas that a shall test there so a can mash in more than one way.. both infusing and also step mashing and easy get out the draw and clean it when am finish with so little time and work as possible….
This is the next to build after my 1000L big boiler with 6pc 5500 legally ATEX/EX heaters is finish, by the way all material to this come this Friday so hopefully we can start with it next week and the wood a think a need to wait after summer holiday before a get this on so maybe in middle of august this is finish…

What was the outcome of that product? Final ABV etc.?
Answer : Just depends on how much I choose to reflux, now I am checks/control how much or rather how Little Reflux I need to get the plates to work, and below about 75% they note working /bubbling well/good….
So I hold and shall see the result when I move the 2,0mm holes further away ( about 1”/25mm around the return pipe with NO hole) from the return pipe in my 8” where a have place to do this and with this maneuver a hope that a need less reflux for simply holding down % in my parrot as much as possible at/with 4pc plates ..a hunting taste, good separation and low % with so little reflux as possible….

How did you reach your conclusion? And why?
Answer: I Think that a have answer this in the text over this and WHY, that is this MAX power to 2,0mm hole that a personally have se that works like a want it to do for tasted products and when a scale up to bigger column, more power and more hole and more mash then a need to now exact that power a 2,0mm hole can take care of Max in a good way, in my eyes ...… that Is note the same as it give the Best product but a must now what Max hole nr with 2,0mm is to my power and a can always turn down the power but note up more than max…

A also send out a question to all you other that use sieve plate column with 2,0mm hole and what result they have get if they think of it when they use it…..
Hillbilly stills Flute have 166pc 2,04 mm punched hole and a think that this is one of the most used sieve flute in Usa and a have also some of this and my resulted with this is that about 21amp/ 240volt=5040watt is max in my yeas from same mash…

I have build much equipment and share some of it..

Forum is to share yours result and also read others result then you all can try to get better stuff/equipment and that is good for all legally as moonshiners…

I Think that it is time now for you to share yours own builds and results, note yours Kina stuff that you have purchased or received for services rendered ...,
Or do not you think it is right considering your attacks because this is note the first…..

Cheers from Sweden.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Harley I love reading about your heavy duty builds and your pictures are always very good!

maybe i'm a bit dumb (ok, actually a lot of dumb :oops: ) but what is the test for? are you looking to figure out what the maximum amount of power the sieve plates work with before they flood?

i am intersted to learn as much as possible. I want to build a flute this year, but i think the bubble cap design like stilldragon uses is what i like best so far.

I have to do the research first and only build one...i'm not so lucky to have a big machine shop like you have to play in! :mrgreen:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

Hi Harley.

As much as I'm enjoying seeing you make headway into the commercial distilling realm, I'm still stuck on the fact your gear has few "runs on the board", that you have shown us.

I don't think Fully Silenced questions needed a rebuttal, they are fair questions, after all most of the guys here are "home distillers".

For the record, I too make gear for commercial guys, but for a long time you have shown us what products you make, but have given few results as to how they perform.

You can't hide behind the vale of "legal" here as the reason you don't discuss, as many here are at more risk. And since you are now "legal", you can share the results of how your stills perform.
For example, I can say how the stills I make perform for the legal distilleries I have made products for, and they are happy to back up my supply and after sales service, as well as my claims on performance.

I'd like to see you do the same
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Some more Commercial builds with pure 3,0mm copper in the steam phase….

I need this big size for my 700mm long ATEX/EX heaters… with 3,41 watt cm2
Yeas, they shall both be insulated and have a ss sheet outside that can be take away…
Glass manhole…
And they are both Approved for Legally commercial use inside EU….

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Then where it ordered a number sqm body panel in massive oak to the side facing to 3pc distillation containers with insulation and copper in the steam part top over the oak..

This will be rely lovley.....

Look at the profile... you can put this panel nice around in and outside round corners.....

Made in Sweden

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

The insulation is on both of this 400l boliers and next step is the oak panel....

Cheers from Sweden
emptyglass
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Victoria, Australia.Usually the shed. Sometimes the cellar.

Post by emptyglass »

Mr Harley, can I ask what alloy this "pure" grade of copper is?
And how you have joined the copper to the stainless, as in what kind of filler wire has been used?

I have no doubt you have used the correct welding techniques, just curious as to what exactly you have used?

Isn't the wood plank insulation idea something that Mr Hanley used, that was given to him by another member here?

In case your english is bad this week...

Herr Harley , kan jag fråga vad legering denna " ren " grad av koppar är ?
Och hur du har anslutit sig till koppar till det rostfria , som i vilken typ av tillsatsmaterial har använts ?

Jag har ingen tvekan om du har använt rätt svetsteknik , bara nyfiken på vad exakt du har använt ?

Isnt trä planka isolering idé något som Herr Hanley används , som gavs till honom av en annan medlem här ?
Last edited by FullySilenced on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling kor-rection
You design it, I make it. Copper and Stainless. Down under. PM me.
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Some pictures….

Cheers from Sweden.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

harley03 wrote:Then where it ordered a number sqm body panel in massive oak to the side facing to 3pc distillation containers with insulation and copper in the steam part top over the oak..

This will be rely lovley.....

Look at the profile... you can put this panel nice around in and outside round corners.....

Made in Sweden

Cheers from Sweden
Clever, do you have a photo of these done?
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Soon this 2pc boiler shall have oak on the outside!

About 100pc is it on every boiler to “get around it”!

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Now a have spent a lot of time (with calculations and drawings) to look in to the mash stage/system.. because a shall mashing 1000L every time and want to be able to both infusion and step mashing and both with the corn in the mash and send the mash with corn in it to the conical fermenter and also without the corn in the mash/clear mash to the fermentor and also mashing with enzyme and normally mashing with malted barley and also be able to Fast and Simple get read of the spent draw easy from the mashtun and clean the hole system very fast and easy..…..
Lots of inspiration a have get from SPEIDEL – Braumeister 500L system but it Is to small and a don’t like the maltpipe system…
http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/200- ... ister.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This is the first part that have arrive and a have note test it yet, but it looks good…
Then have 3 spray nozzles come in different sizes, which I shall avail myself of to spread the mash water ( sometime with corn it ) over the mash bed!
120 degree spray angle should be, and they learn not clog in the first resort, but this teaches also 3x3mm grain pieces go through easily ....

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Soon finnished...

Cheers from Sweden
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

I don't care about the politics.........These are beautiful :!: :!:
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

WIski wrote:I don't care about the politics.........These are beautiful :!: :!:

Hi Whiski
Thanks,
This is a commercial side/part of the forum and a take for granted that all build ,electric heating element, boilers, computers and column must be safe and meet all Legally regulations in the specific country the equipment shall be used in……..

All my equipment is made to mach/stand up to all regulations that we have inside EU were a live, like ATEX/EX directive and pressure directive and mashine directive….

Am note here to made friends and am not here to sell equipment, like many others….

But a share my build and what a have come on to that works for me, but remember that a stansed all my hole in everyting so all is 100% in size… this shall it note be if you drill the hole…

A try to build the best a can do and am note in this for the buisniss/money… but for the love of the art….

Cheers from a Legally manufacture and distiller in Sweden, land of Vodka….
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

IMHO, looking at commercial gear is important to understanding a lot of the theory and practice, rather than just downloading some boka plans and not progressing.

If it wasn't for hobbyists studying the large-scale equipment we wouldn't have the flute.

I enjoy these posts.
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Today my friend that made the oakwood that shall be on top of the oak panel and connect to the copper was in my shop and controll if his " round" made oak fit...

Note 100% but okey!
I am considering treat oak wood with paraffin oil and it is food grade.

Cheers from Sweden
Condensifier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Condensifier »

Stainless, copper and oak is very beautiful. Thanks for posting Harley.
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Then each two oak rings are finished and assembled, now it will be to treat all oak with paraffin oil a few times.

Will be okey on these small samples think!

Cheers from Sweden
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

You welded that stainless manway onto a copper boiler!?! I don't even know where to begin...

You sir are the man. :clap: :thumbup: :clap:
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Thanks,

Now both 400L boiler treated with (food grade) paraffin oil 2 times and after a few days then just wipe the abundance of oil.

The depth of the oak appears in a totally wonderful way!
Off course they are legally to use inside EU and compatible to both ATEX/EX directive and Pressure directive and machine directive that we all legally distiller and manufacture inside EU must stand up to....

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

This with different hole size is interesting and important..
550st 2,0mm hål =1727mm3
500st 2,1mm hål=1730mm3

Here can you al se hove much only 0,1mm bigger give in total volyme/flow….. and this is what a testing out for this moment… taste transfer and how much and little power this both sieve pattern and hole size can take care of from 400l mash and 16500watt power.

I now from erlier test that 1pc 2,0mm hole can handle about 20watt minimum and about 30 watt maximum in a 4" column, but a dont now what 2,1mm can handle.... and now everyting is tested in 8" size...

Cheers from Sweden
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

How did you test it?

Or was the test... to see if you could make it? Photo looks good... :clap:
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

FullySilenced wrote:How did you test it?

Or was the test... to see if you could make it? Photo looks good... :clap:

You have ask this question before and a have answere you before… But my answere with foto/picture was removed….
So here is a new typ of answere without any picture…..
I have received some inquiries about the sieve plates ... :idea:

Here are some free info: Let's talk about 4 "size of the colon ... this size is/ was my test size, and this is what I personally have come to the conclusion: 1st 2,0mm punched holes can receive" approximately "Max 30watt and minimum 20watt ...

100pc 2.0mm punched holes can receive a maximum 3000watt and minimum 2000watt .. then just counting up as down, regardless of column diameter .... When we talk about the sieve plates / bubble plates ...

Of course, each plate is 100% sealed against the column wall ..... and i myself have been using 10mm tray depth at all my tests ...

Now it should also be the blind man taking ... ore....

By the way if you are so interested in Sieve plates... why have you note tested this out by yours self :idea:

All my test in 4" is for my own builds in bigger column....

Cheers from Sweden
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Who shat in your cherios?
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy