iStill One

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: iStill One

Post by Odin »

Assembly street for our iStills 2000 NextGens!

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
13626476_1251828814858104_5524813100513326105_n.jpg
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

And here are two pics of the new 100 liter / 26 gallon units we are producing. For product development and small scale production.

The first picture is the boiler just after its acid bath cleaning. The other picture zooms in on the drain.

More pics on finished product later.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
13528399_1251805518193767_6971130324825537778_o.jpg
13599921_1254089284632057_7564335876463466025_n.jpg
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That is a nice size for a homedistiller, I am guessing if a person could hide the column most folks wouldn't recognize the square design as a boiler for a still! Very unconventional.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks Bushman, yes, perfectly suitable for the homedistiller as well. First three boilers are ready. Pics in a few hours. Column design is ready as well. We start building them tomorrow.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0430.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Two iStill 100 NextGen Boilers!

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0434.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Designing the column and cooler ...

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0445.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Building the heating systems ...

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

geez Odin, you could buy that guy a table and chair to work at. :moresarcasm:

the new gear looks awesome!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

And this is the new 100 liter boiler next to a 500 and 2000 liter unit we are currently automating.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

HDNB wrote:geez Odin, you could buy that guy a table and chair to work at. :moresarcasm:

the new gear looks awesome!
Cheap shit me! :)

In fact, he loves to work like that. There is a table available for him, but he does not use it, HDNB!

Thanks for the kudo's, glad you like the looks.

Regards, Odin.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Odin wrote:And this is the new 100 liter boiler next to a 500 and 2000 liter units
Ha, look at that little feller, that's really thinking inside the box, Odin. :thumbup:
Your products look great.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks Mich! You know how much I like to think inside the box!

:lol:

Regards, Odin.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

Absolutely beautiful products.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Here's a picture of a still that'll go to the UK next week. For whisky and gin production. 2000 liter net capacity. Potstill column that still needs to be insulated.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0651.JPG
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Great looking boilers Odin!
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Pictures of PLC and heating elements ...

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Short movie of the machine we make our oversized SPP with ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KBwyoRT5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Testing ...
Attachments
IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Odin wrote:Short movie of the machine we make our oversized SPP with ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KBwyoRT5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Regards, Odin.
Longer please :-)

If I was to win the lottery, Odin, I'd be a customer of yours in a heartbeat :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks! Here are two more pics. One of the machine, the other of some new test batches we did on our revised big SPP.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Partir, c'est mourir un peu!

Here's an iStill 2000 NextGen (almost) on its way to a new and happy craft distiller.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0708.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

... and some pics of the iStill 100 NextGen. 100 liter boiler with 3 inch column (in this case). Column management system (manual option here) and 3 inch column cooler.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Cleaning run on the iStill 100 NextGen ...

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0793.JPG
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Odin wrote:Cleaning run on the iStill 100 NextGen ...

Regards, Odin.
That sure is a tidy little set up :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

... and we are building many more of them. These are the 100 liter / 26 gallon versions.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
20160831_113327.jpg
20160901_103734.jpg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Fun times ahead! Tomorrow, early in the morning, I fly to the Baltics to open a distillery. I'll be back home on Sunday. On Monday we'll start the automation project on the iStill 100 NextGen. We have already made like all the decisions on what we want and how to do it. More fun after that? Yes! Working on a new kind of column for our 5000 liter still. Thinking about doing something weird with perforated plates. 8 to 10 inch column. Two or three plate configuration, LM, not CM, for column management.

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Doing some test runs on the iStill 100 NextGen. On a 30% low wines charge, she produces a little over 6 liters per hour in pure 96.5%. If I open her up and go for taste in stead of purity, I get 9 liters per hour. This is a manual version. The robotized iStill 100 NextGen is faster yet. 6 liters at 96.5% or 9 liters taste rich at 70% ... very happy with the results. Especially because it's just a 70 mm diameter column (slightly under 3 inch) with 3.5 kW. Because the new big SPP I designed holds a lot of energy, it goes to 77 C in one go. Even without stabilizing. It does not need time to reflux to get to lower temperatures. The advantage of this is that, since even the first part, without refluxing, is already well concentrated in heads, you an start drawing off heads right away. No need for extra stabilization time with the needle-valve closed.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
Taking Heads
Taking Heads
96.5% at >6 liters per hour
96.5% at >6 liters per hour
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Last weekend I tested some new innovations on the column of the iStill 500 NextGen. That's a (net) 500 liter (130 gallon) system for pretty much any product.

On an 18% boiler charge (400 liters), I could get over 16 to 18 liters of pure azeo per hour. That was on 60% power setting. 60% of 18 kW total system's power, so 10.8 kW.

The new design has much more performance to it. I tested column stability and could take the unit without issues to 70%, 80%, and 90% total power. Only at a whopping 18 kW did we encounter column flooding. Pushing the power to 90% would push the output to around 25 liters per hour.

Regards, Odin
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Reorganizing and relocating production to the beautiful city of Woerden in the Netherlands has been a great decision. First of all, I actually live there, so travel time is now just 5 minutes. Four minutes if I take the Nissan Z Car :).

Secondly, it allowed us to hugely improve in build quality. We are aiming to deliver the best build units in the world. Longevity goal is 30 years at 24/7 operation. We second that by a 10 year warranty on the units. If you find this interesting, and want to read more, please see: https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... fits-odin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thirdly, it allowed me to work out some new ideas. Integrating mashing, fermenting, and distilling for instance. A new approach to boiler design and agitation. And it enabled me to get the whole column redesigned in such a way that it now pushes out around 50% more product per hour. Also functionality and systems integration is up. The units can for instance now be monitored and managed remotely via the internet. We, from HQ, can take over the unit to help out with recipe development. And there will be (yet to be released) a product library where customers can discuss and even trade recipes.

Lots of fun stuff going on here!

Regards, Odin.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

All good Odin...be careful in that Z!!!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005