Hard to watch

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

woodshed
Master of Distillation

Hard to watch

Post by woodshed »

As a craft distiller the reward of seeing people order your product at the bar is beyond words.
In my case it is not at my bar since I am only wholesale. But I have been through the experience quite a few times and as I said it is very rewarding. At least it is when they know how to approach a whiskey. The slow swish, the sniff, maybe some more swish. Another sniff. Then commitment. And a smile. Freakin awesome. They order another round.

Two days ago I was at my favorite place (Wolfe Brewery) and a couple of guys set down next to me that were up here hunting third season but the weather was shitty. So they came in to shoot some free pool, have some beers and drink some whiskey.

Got there beers and noticed our sign behind the bar so then ordered shots of Bentfinger, which we just released after being in the barrel for 2 years. They thought it was cool to support a local distillery as do I.

Both shots went down without even tasting them. My first thought is whatever. Those shots are $8.50 a piece and I am selling product so who cares. They go off and drink their beers while playing pool. Finish up and order another round of Bentfinger and beers. The whiskey just gets tossed back. So the bar is making a great profit but these guys are not getting the full experience. I am now closer to selling another bottle to the bar so what do I care.

But I do care, my whole body aches watching them throw it down like that. I realize that is my personal attachment to the product. After all I put a lot into those barrels and I hate to see it slide past the tongue so fast there is no appreciation.

So I walk over and introduce myself. Then buy a round for us all and introduce them to the way you try Bourbon.
We grab a table and get down to working your way through a glass. Not sure it had any impact but it made me feel a lot better.

But I am hoping the next time they belly up it will have an impact.

Educate those around you. With the quality of spirits that come from those who are committed to this site that should not be a problem.
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Re: Hard to watch

Post by Johnny6 »

Your post reminds me of the father of one of my son's friends, who I got to spend a lot of time with during the highschool years. He knew how to appreciate a good whiskey. One day he poured a bit of his favorite into a flask and when out and went out to join the block party (neighborhood picnic/barbeque) to visit with his neighbors. Being a generous sort, he offered to share a bit of his whiskey. The other men tossed it back quickly and winced (with enjoyment?). That was the last time he brought out the good stuff to share. Sadly he has since succumbed to cancer. He is someone who'd I'd really love to take into my confidence, and offer my humble creations to.

Shed, I'm glad you took time to share and educate them. You've "taught them to fish" and probably changed their lives! (well, maybe a little bit).
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Wood, it used to bother me a lot as well but I came to the realization that everyone enjoys things a bit differently. My wife does not like whiskey straight up but with 7-up. A well made salad and everyone puts a different dressing on it, people by 2 buck Chuck wine rather than a $40.00 bottle, some people throw down a shot before a beer because that is customary. A true person of the art enjoys the drink for the quality. It's nice of you to have bought them a drink and shared an experience and hopefully you may have taught them something or converted them at the least the next time they order a shot they will probably think about that night with you.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

I can imagine how you feel Woodshed..
The toes almost crumble in ones shoes, seeing how they just flush that good drop "down the drain".. :wtf: :cry:
Just saw a video the other day, that brings this subject to a point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVG1U-faqHY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

When I first came to this hobby, I didn't have much experience with drinking whiskey. First few batches I made, I was a little tentative about how I drank it. I would sip it neat, but it would go in my mouth and straight down the shute - which may not have been such a bad thing with those first few batches. Now, I roll it around in my mouth and allow it to go down slowly and savoir every little nuance of the flavor. So, just sayin', if them old boys were used to drinking bad likker, that's just the way they were accustomed to getting it down without too much retching. They knew how to drink bad likker, but didn't know how to drink GOOD likker. Good on you for teaching them.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

S-Cackalacky wrote:So, just sayin', if them old boys were used to drinking bad likker, that's just the way they were accustomed to getting it down without too much retching.
Ha, so true, nobody wants to savor the taste of heads in their whiskey.
I would guess a lot of people, myself included, come to distilling without a lot of experience savoring spirits.
One of the best things I've gotten out of this experience has been developing a taste and palate for good spirits, and being able to tell the difference.
If you helped set them on that path, ya done a good thing there, Woodshed!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

my sister was at a do a few years back and was given a glass of Grange. She took a sip and tipped half it out to top it up with lemonade. my BIL nearly died of shame and pretty much everyone stared at her, she was NOT offered a top up (she also thought SoCo was top of the pops til the BIL made some up for she outa his shine
Oh yeah Penfold's Grange can be up round $50,000 a bottle
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

It was another of Richard Patterson's videos that taught me how to appreciate whiskey. I love the guy's style. No bullshit. If you know what you're talking about, just lay it out there. Anybody who is ready for it will pick it right up. For me, those few tips opened up a whole new world of enjoyment.

Shed, I wouldn't be surprised if those new friends of yours learned a lot more than you think they did. Venison is only worth a few bucks a pound. Getting the full experience from good whiskey is priceless.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

good on you Shed for trying to set them straight, and congrats again on your Bentfinger bourbon!
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

My wife has moved to whiskey and water...says she never thought it possible.

Kids are slowly coming around...when they mix I give them commercial booze and slowly they are realizing mine is better...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

DAD300 wrote:My wife has moved to whiskey and water...says she never thought it possible.

Kids are slowly coming around...when they mix I give them commercial booze and slowly they are realizing mine is better...
That smoke & oats was very very good.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Camping at a flying event we ran into an Irish fella and his gal. it was his 40th birthday so I offered him a drink from the UJ bottle after informing him of its nature. A good 25% went down in one gulp and I can't remember feeling more disrespected. :evil:

tp
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I remember when I was much younger, buddies and I would get the cheapest Whiskey on the shelf....open it....throw the bottle lid out the window and choke it down. Chase it with anydamthing.
Now that's disrespect.
rnw349
Bootlegger

Post by rnw349 »

Woodshed,
Your heart and soul went into that shine, most people don't know what it takes to make a good drop. Even rarer is someone especially a younger person who has even tasted a good whiskey. It was a good thing for you to take the time to teach them how to enjoy a really good drink.

My family and I are coming to pagosa the week before Christmas, I would love to meet you at Wolfe Brewery and enjoy a taste of Bentfinger.

Keep up the good work Shed.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Appalachia-Shiner wrote:I remember when I was much younger, buddies and I would get the cheapest Whiskey on the shelf....open it....throw the bottle lid out the window and choke it down. Chase it with anydamthing.
Now that's disrespect.
Not exactly . It's how we were taught to do it . The object was to get hammered and dim the reality of the miserable life we were leading . Glad I outgrew that . Many around me have not .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Steve I had the same experience this fall. Went on a work party and offered a shot to a workmate. Before I could warn him that it was 110 proof it went down the hatch. It was kind of worth it to see his reaction! Then I explained about tasteing. :shifty:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

It is a real shame when people fail to appreciate a fine drink and throw it back like it is some common commercial swill. That's one of the reasons I have never given a bottle of my own product to my son. He fails to appreciate all the hard work that goes into a truly fine hand crafted product. I have a bottle sitting in a closet waiting for the day he does but I'm not holding my breath. Some people will never learn.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

I don't really care if they throw it back, but if anyone ever threw it on the floor like the guy in that video... I would flatten their nose against the side of their face right where they (used to) stand.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I never realized how to drink or judge whiskey until I'd made it myself.
It's similar to babies, you don't know until, you've made at least one of your own.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

shadylane wrote:I never realized how to drink or judge whiskey until I'd made it myself.
It's similar to babies, you don't know until, you've made at least one of your own.
I drank my own hooch and then made a baby....
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Good luck making more hootch after its born....
Jb
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

jb-texshine wrote:Good luck making more hootch after its born....
Jb
I figure I'll ask for one weekend, maybe two out of the year for the wife to go see her parents with the boy. A man can make a lot of booze in 48 hours if he plans everything right. My guess however is that stilling just won't be very far up the priority list for me.

Not to derail the thread....

A cousin of mine and some others were over playing cards one night. He knows my hobby. He asked if he could have something to drink so I said sure. Got a quart of my first sweet feed that had been sitting for about 6 months. It was tasting mighty good at that point.

I guess its kinda my fault because I told him have all ya want. I didn't realize it because he only went to the "back room" for a refill maybe 3 times. But he drank all but maybe a oz of that jar. The man got waaay sloppy that night. I just had more faith in a man 10 years older than me to be responsible.

So that was 6 months of will power to not drink the jar down the drain in one night. All so he could get hammered for free. No regard to the hard work I put into it.

I told him a few weeks later that the still had a leak and I couldn't afford to fix it right now. As far as he know its still broke. And he will never drink on my supply again.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

rnw349 wrote:Woodshed,
Your heart and soul went into that shine, most people don't know what it takes to make a good drop. Even rarer is someone especially a younger person who has even tasted a good whiskey. It was a good thing for you to take the time to teach them how to enjoy a really good drink.

My family and I are coming to pagosa the week before Christmas, I would love to meet you at Wolfe Brewery and enjoy a taste of Bentfinger.

Keep up the good work Shed.
Shoot me a pm with your schedule so we can get together. Love meeting HD members.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Good on you Woodshed. I think you discovered the explanatory gap.

I'd bet dollar to doughnuts that you left a long lasting, positive impression on them. Your experience reminds me of how frustrating senses are to communicate, and how unique those senses can be. Hopefully you motivated them to start a personal journey in developing a palette for spirits. :clap:

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Woodshed,
We get that all the time at the winery,- tasters that come in slam the glass and want the next. (the limo tours are the worst ) But that is the ugly few out of all the others that come and enjoy and appreciate the wine. Still hurts when someone downs your precious with a burp. A few years ago my son, 16ish at that time was appalled that someone hammered a glass of our precious desert wine without enjoying it- sucks but that's reality :(
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=9096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=9097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Found a couple links that I thought belonged here.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Jed, both were good reads with things I'll put to practice with my next glass.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

jedneck wrote:http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=9096
http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=9097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Found a couple links that I thought belonged here.
:thumbup:

This is what I learned today. Thank you.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I've had people ask me for cola as a mixer when I offer them a drink. Rum and Coke is a nasty mix. A friend of mine once added to Cola to a glass of fine rum I'd given him. Had a girl I was dating drink almost all of my Cherry Brandy in shots and then was so hungover the next day.

Good link BTW! Sad some people don't know how to appreciate liquor. I will admit I like mixing a blended scotch, or mass produced rye with Soda water. One of my favorite drinks.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

All feints vodka is good fodder for folks that need to mix. Avoids the mental anguish.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden