Craft Whisky made with 4-6 plate?

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Craft Whisky made with 4-6 plate?

Post by CanadianBacon »

Opinions on if a craft distillery should run a 4-6 plate still head making whisky or a pot still with worm and cooling tank?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Craft Whisky made with 4-6 plate?

Post by still_stirrin »

Use 'em if ya got 'em. :thumbup:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

Run what you brung
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Not disagreeing, but IMHO for a full favored whiskey I beleive you would get better results going "old school" with a pot still with 1.08 ish mash, stripping then low and slow spirit run, good cuts, then chart on white oak and finally age in glass as long as you can stand it. The big boys or even most micro guys can't afford that but most HD can.
Good luck
BG
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Just my $0.02, but I make all my whiskey with a single run through 4 perf plates. My plate column is not modular, or I'd strip on a potstill and spirit run with 2 or 3 plates. I feel that I get a pretty good product with this method. Most would argue it takes away too much flavor, but I disagree. Cut properly for aging, you can get plenty of flavor with 4 plates.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

You're asking about two different animals.

Are you starting a craft distillery, or working at one?

Your still should be able to operate in either mode.

For longer aging, more complex, thorough spirits, I'd go with the basic pot - Say, a straight rye, aged in ex-bourbon. It's different enough that you won't be competing with the numerous distilleries offering barley Whiskey.

For a sweeter, softer, milder spirit, yes, close all of the plates, go with a combination of grains (again, you are in BC, and as I know it, there are a million craft distillers... All aging barley newmake).

If I were you, I'd have a standard easygoing offering which anyone can try, and have a seperate line of unique releases that are different from year to year and marked by vintage, like a wine. This creates loyalty and also prevents boredom for both you and your potential customers.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

MDH wrote:If I were you, I'd have a standard easygoing offering which anyone can try, and have a seperate line of unique releases that are different from year to year and marked by vintage, like a wine. This creates loyalty and also prevents boredom for both you and your potential customers.
+1 This is what will give the new craft spirits movement traction.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I believe perfect world would be plated column for everyday sippin whisky and a pot for limited release runs. Pay the bills with the column and make money with the pot.
Disclaimer: this is just the opinion of a simple redneck.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

My opinion based on limited experience is a 2 plate gives mid 70's% ABV take in 1 run that is comparable to a strip and spirit run on a pot. More plates? Anything I say would be opinion without experience so I won't yammer on.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

MDH wrote: (again, you are in BC, and as I know it, there are a million craft distillers... All aging barley newmake).
There are?
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I was in a Craft Moonshine Distillery a few weeks ago. The were making their products with a reflux still and cutting it down to drinking strength. Talking to one of the operators for awhile, he opened up to me and said He had made Shine all his life till he came to work here, and this ain't the way to make Shine. I agreed with him, told him about my little hobby and we proceeded to have a long conversation about all aspects of Whiskey making. He said he had aged Shine on Charred White Oak sticks for years and was just making a living here in Gatlinburg.
The counter people are just carnival hustlers who know little about the process, but if you Look and Sound like you live "just down the road," there are some folks working there who are the Real Deal and will talk to you for an hour.
Had a nice visit, didn't buy anything but a T Shirt for my oldest son.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Would that happen to be Doc Collier's Moonshine?
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Shovelhead89 wrote:
MDH wrote: (again, you are in BC, and as I know it, there are a million craft distillers... All aging barley newmake).
There are?
Yep. One major distillery and many smaller micros. It has to do with the fact that there is a disproportionate amount of barley being grown in the Peace River region of the province, and by law, distillers must order BC grown grain if they want a favorable tax status.

For all I rant about the laws government BC, I have to admit that the deal they have crafted for small distillers is a sweet one: They may sell 100% tax free to the public, and do not have to go through the government tier system, as long as their product is made from 100% BC grown material. This is actually more of an agricultural incentive than a distilling one, but is excellent for both parties since distillers purchase in very large quantities.
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

Which ones? I know there are a ton that make vodka and gin but am unaware of many craft distillerys doing whiskey locally? I would love to go check a few out.

Edit: found a good list. Does seem that they are using 100% barley for the most part. Any idea if anyone local is making corn whiskey? Or why not?
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Not to my knowledge, no.
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

Thanks for the help guys. I may just have to run both and see what people in the area think about it. So far sour mash is hit and miss for people up here. I feel it tastes to much like crown and I'm not a fan. I doubt I will be able to get the flavor profile, but Double Black label is my favorite blend.