Anchor Distilling

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Anchor Distilling

Post by 3d0g »

Nestled deep in a corner of the warehouse at Anchor Brewing in San Francisco lies the source of Old Potrero single malt rye - Anchor Distilling. Not open to the public, I managed to smooth talk my way into a quick visit and chat with the distiller.

100% rye grain bill, fermented and distilled on-grain. They actually share very little equipment with the brewery, having their own fermenters, TINY one-man bottling line, and they use city water for those very nice counter-flow condensers. Closest still is the stripper, next back is the spirit still for whiskey and the plated column still is for their vodka and gins.

P.S. The brewery tour is awesome too. One of the best I've done.
Attachments
anchor2.jpg
anchor1.jpg
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Anchor Distilling

Post by Swedish Pride »

for a split second i thought that you were showing off your own distillery, you big tease :lol:

Looks nice though, it's nice to see commercial lads who are not a million mile away equipment wise of some of the big hitters here
Don't be a dick
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I thought there was a fed law prohibiting brewery and distillery operations in the same facility??
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

Jimbo wrote:I thought there was a fed law prohibiting brewery and distillery operations in the same facility??
Feds also prohibit tastings and retail sales from a DSP. Lots of easy / well documented workarounds. If you look close, in one of the pics there's shutters that can be pulled down to completely separate the distillery space from prying eyes, etc.

When I was at Vendome last spring, it seemed like more than half of the stills on the production floor were destined for breweries.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Koval mentioned that there was a brewery on the other side of the wall. But it was a different company, unaffiliated with Koval, and seperated by a concrete block wall. I know there are many craft brewpubs that would like to add a small distillery operation, but cant.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Interesting indeed. Seems they are doing better than Rouge in Oregon. Those folks have famously amazing beer but the spirits are a joke.
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

bearriver wrote:Interesting indeed. Seems they are doing better than Rouge in Oregon. Those folks have famously amazing beer but the spirits are a joke.
Ooof. Rouge beers have sucked for years IMO.
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Rouge makes a pretty good barrel aged gin.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

LWTCS wrote:Rouge makes a pretty good barrel aged gin.
Good for them. I read that they changed directions with a new master distiller. Hopefully they can establish the same success that they have made with the brewery.
3d0g wrote:Ooof. Rouge beers have sucked for years IMO.
Absolutely over the top pricing pricing but I still managed to enjoy the 3 that I have tried. Is there something in particular that you do not prefer about their flagship brews, or the brewery in general? Yelp reviews definitely leave something to be desired at the brewery itself. Retail reviews are much higher...
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

They are on their 3rd MD.

John Wilcox (2nd MD) is not there any more.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
3d0g
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3d0g »

bearriver wrote: Absolutely over the top pricing pricing but I still managed to enjoy the 3 that I have tried. Is there something in particular that you do not prefer about their flagship brews, or the brewery in general? Yelp reviews definitely leave something to be desired at the brewery itself. Retail reviews are much higher...
I was a Rogue fanboy 6 or so years ago. Solid, drinkable ales. Now it's all gimmicks. VOODOO DOUGHNUT PRETZEL, RASPBERRY & CHOCOLATE ALE? Fucking seriously?

This shark has been jumped.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Your tastes just matured!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005