local micro distillery festival

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

local micro distillery festival

Post by Shovelhead89 »

I'm heading to a micro distillery festival tonight. I thought it'd be a good opportunity to pick the brains of some of the local guys. Anyone have some suggestions of questions I should ask that'd apply to what I want to do (open a local corn whiskey distillery in the next 3 years).
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: local micro distillery festival

Post by bearriver »

Try all the spirits.

Pr%f is great here in Seattle. Some of us used it as excuse to get together last year. Gonna do it again this year with new faces.

Enjoy the festival!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

You'll know what to ask when you get there.
Expect to be somewhat disappointed and try not to show it.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bearriver wrote:Try all the spirits.

Pr%f is great here in Seattle. Some of us used it as excuse to get together last year. Gonna do it again this year with new faces.

Enjoy the festival!
This year I am hoping to not be at a booth so I can get around a bit more! Bearriver are you going to take the lead on this and get the details?
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

July 9, 2016 is day Proof is on. I'll post a thread alerting members about the BBQ the following day.

http://proofwashington.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
LWTCS wrote:Expect to be somewhat disappointed and try not to show it.
As was my experience. Some of what was available at our festival was downright unpalatable.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

bearriver wrote:July 9, 2016 is day Proof is on. I'll post a thread alerting members about the BBQ the following day.

As was my experience. Some of what was available at our festival was downright unpalatable.
Sadly, I have to agree that many of the "samples" I tried were very harsh, especially for what I thought would be a showcase of their best products. A bit disappointing, but I'll still be back again this year too. A good excuse to get out of town...
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

There was quite a variety there last night. 17 different local distillers. The ones that stood out were a distillery that made several different liquers from unaged cherry brandy, they had a level of complexity that other liquers there couldn't match. And a distillery that made their gin and vodka entirely from honey, it was quite smooth. A lot of espresso vodkas and liquers were there and one "mooonshine" made 100% from rye. It was actually quite sweet but still a bit of a bite. I wasn't all that impressed by the whiskeys there but there were some beautiful gins, and I am no gin drinker.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Gin and vodka from Honey?
Was that Davin Sherwood?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Tickets are on sale for BC Distilled, another microdistillery festival, starting on February the first.

I think you should speak to the guys at Sons of Vancouver because they have really done this on a budget. Wayward as well.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

LWTCS wrote:Gin and vodka from Honey?
Was that Davin Sherwood?
http://www.waywarddistillationhouse.com/spirits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Shovelhead89
Swill Maker

Post by Shovelhead89 »

MDH wrote:Tickets are on sale for BC Distilled, another microdistillery festival, starting on February the first.

I think you should speak to the guys at Sons of Vancouver because they have really done this on a budget. Wayward as well.
Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to do that next time.
hugotolomei
Novice

Post by hugotolomei »

Sugar Cane Fest is an amazing place to go in Brazil. The Pinga ( informal name for Cachaça) Festival has grown a lot over the years. This festival, also called Cachaça, Culture and Flavours Festival is the true paradise of sugar cane liquor. And it is not only drinking, the programme includes live music and also many typical food stands. In 1983, the town started organising this Festival and the purpose was rescuing and promoting the most typical local production, technique and history, that has been traditionally produced for over 300 years.
Cheers.