Park Distillery Banff Alberta

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HDNB
Site Mod

Park Distillery Banff Alberta

Post by HDNB »

Got out to do a little hiking this last weekend and apres stumbling allover sulpher mountain we got to tour Park distillery on Main street Banff.

Only open for about a year now, it's one of the first places to combine a working distillery with a restaurant, they have a beautiful German engineered and built Kothe still glassed in out front. about 500,000 worth of copper and SS (sorry i didn't have my phone with me for photos) it was 1800L kettle into a nice whiskey helmet, turning the corner into two (in series 8) bubble plate columns (16 total) about 14" diameter, a nice big gin basket accessory and monster condensor with integral parrot ass'y. valved and plumbed for easy switch to any format.

the master was away at a beer show, but one of the owners toured us around. poor bastard needed a day off, she said he was working 110hrs a week producing a current target of 25000 shoulders.

they have produced a stellar rye that was still in the white, the aging stock isn't to be released for two more years...and some vodka and vodka infusions.
The Vodka had a bit of tails like odour and flavour...i was surprised as the owner said the master was triple distilling a "heart cut" (never talked to the guy so that definition was fairly loose). I'd figger 3 trips through that monster any hint of taste or smell would be scrubbed clean. So while nice, and no heads that i could taste/smell, it had a bit of back end bitterness.
the infusions were really nice, using fresh Madagascar bourbon vanilla for one, espresso beans for another (sans sugar so i really liked this one, and a chili pepper one (they use 3 tiny chilis per bottle) knocked your socks off. perfect for a salted Caesar, no need for Tabasco sauce at all. The bartender said this was their #1 cocktail...he pounded out about a dozen while i sampled the 5 flight tasters. The infusions covered the hint of bitter that the base spirit had.

they are releasing a gin on May 29 so a return trip may be in order to sample...i'll remember to take my phone for some photos!~
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Park Distillery Banff Alberta

Post by pfshine »

Sounds like a fun day. I have always loved taking tours of distillery's and brewery's. Of course I end up talking to much or correcting something said and a big ole spot light hits me. When that happens I just say I know someone with a micro nano distillery.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Park Distillery Banff Alberta

Post by HDNB »

pfshine wrote:Sounds like a fun day. I have always loved taking tours of distillery's and brewery's. Of course I end up talking to much or correcting something said and a big ole spot light hits me. When that happens I just say I know someone with a micro nano distillery.
guilty. :oops:

i had to say something to a couple others when she started in on the methanol cut that makes moonshiners go blind. didn't really assign blame though, i'm sure it plays well for the tourists and she was very nice an normal once she knew she was talking to a fellow aficionado.

it's actually pretty cool how micro operators are all pretty friendly, easy with information to help out someone. it's been a universal experience at all of the distilleries i have visited.

gorblimey mate!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.