Bad news for Canadian drinkers

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bad news for Canadian drinkers

Post by BoomTown »

OK, this just in from FedEx (actually it's been their policy for a long time, I just learned of it...)

Prohibited Items. You are prohibited from tendering the following items for shipment to Canada, and you agree not to do so. This list is not all-inclusive and is subject to modification without notice. FedEx Ground reserves the right to open and inspect any package tendered for delivery. FedEx Ground will refuse and may return any shipment that is considered unsafe, unlawful, or violates the terms and conditions of the FedEx Ground Tariff.

Alcoholic beverages.

However, there does seem to be a loophole associated with a 'broker' of which I know nothing. Anyone out there understand how to legally ship Alcoholic Beverages to Canada?

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
bbok
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bad news for Canadian drinkers

Post by bbok »

BoomTown wrote:
However, there does seem to be a loophole associated with a 'broker' of which I know nothing. Anyone out there understand how to legally ship Alcoholic Beverages to Canada?

Boom
Legally? No. I looked at a broker once for a particular bottle of wine and nearly died of shock. On another occasion I had a friend in Miami who I wanted to send a bottle of ice wine as a gift. I drove over the border (yes smuggling booze INTO the US who has ever done that!). Went to the counter at FedEx and was told you cant ship booze over state lines. Went to Staples, bought a box and packaging and went to UPS to ship a "vase" :evil:

I wish you luck. :shock:
Accumulating pieces
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

Don't think it is possible. We have to be down stateside for 48 hrs before we can bring back 1.14l (40 oz) duty free. With that being said I believe it does not matter what method you use, if they look in the package you are beat. It is not worth bring back if you can't bring it duty free. You don't have to ask me how I know cause I am going to tell you how I know.

I had been down for more than 48 hrs to visit some friends so I was allowed my 1.14l duty free. There was no duty free shop at the crossing where I was coming back so I stopped at a bottle shop to pick something up. It was in a small town and I couldn't find the brand that I wanted so I got frustrated and quickly picked up a cheap bottle of Windsor's (cheap Canadian whiskey) that was on sale. I think it was about $14 USD after taxes at the till and I was on my way. Got to the border and after discussing everything else that I had brought back the conversation turned to tobacco and alcohol. The conversation went something like this.

CBSA officer: Any alcohol or tobacco?
Me: No tobacco, one bottle of whiskey.
CBSA officer: What size bottle?

At this point I had a sinking feeling cause I had a feeling I may have screwed up in my frustration and haste.

Me: Good question, the price was right and I just picked it up without really checking, I am not sure what size it is.
CBSA officer: Where is it?
Me: In my bag in the hatch.
CBSA officer: Let's have a look.

So I pop the hatch and he proceeds to go back and inspect my bag.

CBSA officer: It's 1.75l, you are allowed 1.14l.
Me: Sorry, It was an honest mistake, as I got flustered when I could not find the brand I wanted, it was so cheap I never ever thought about it being too large.
CBSA officer: No problem, You never lied to me or tried to smuggle it in. You are not in any trouble, you will just have to pay the duty and taxes (they are serious in Canada about taxes on alcohol, real serious) on what you are over, lets go inside and do the paperwork.

So I was over 1.75l - 1.14l or 0.61l (20 oz). It cost me $17 Canadian taxes and duty. This was a few years back and the dollars were pretty close to par, so it cost me more in duty and taxes on 0.61l than is cost for the entire bottle. As I stated before the taxes on booze here is extremely high. It has been awhile since I have bought any but I believe a cheap 1.75l bottle will set you back more than 50 bucks.

So even if it is legal alcohol it is not worth bringing across the line, I would never consider trying to ship illegal stuff across.

EDIT: I had mistakenly converted 0.61l to 14 oz instead of to the actual 20oz.
Last edited by steelmb on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

steelmb wrote:Don't think it is possible. We have to be down stateside for 48 hrs before we can bring back 1.14l (40 oz) duty free. With that being said I believe it does not matter what method you use, if they look in the package you are beat. It is not worth bring back if you can't bring it duty free. You don't have to ask me how I know cause I am going to tell you how I know.

I had been down for more than 48 hrs to visit some friends so I was allowed my 1.14l duty free. There was no duty free shop at the crossing where I was coming back so I stopped at a bottle shop to pick something up. It was in a small town and I couldn't find the brand that I wanted so I got frustrated and quickly picked up a cheap bottle of Windsor's (cheap Canadian whiskey) that was on sale. I think it was about $14 USD after taxes at the till and I was on my way. Got to the border and after discussing everything else that I had brought back the conversation turned to tobacco and alcohol. The conversation went something like this.

CBSA officer: Any alcohol or tobacco?
Me: No tobacco, one bottle of whiskey.
CBSA officer: What size bottle?

At this point I had a sinking feeling cause I had a feeling I may have screwed up in my frustration and haste.

Me: Good question, the price was right and I just picked it up without really checking, I am not sure what size it is.
CBSA officer: Where is it?
Me: In my bag in the hatch.
CBSA officer: Let's have a look.

So I pop the hatch and he proceeds to go back and inspect my bag.

CBSA officer: It's 1.75l, you are allowed 1.14l.
Me: Sorry, It was an honest mistake, as I got flustered when I could not find the brand I wanted, it was so cheap I never ever thought about it being too large.
CBSA officer: No problem, You never lied to me or tried to smuggle it in. You are not in any trouble, you will just have to pay the duty and taxes (they are serious in Canada about taxes on alcohol, real serious) on what you are over, lets go inside and do the paperwork.

So I was over 1.75l - 1.14l or 0.61l (14 oz). It cost me $17 Canadian taxes and duty. This was a few years back and the dollars were pretty close to par, so it cost me more in duty and taxes on 0.61l than is cost for the entire bottle. As I stated before the taxes on booze here is extremely high. It has been awhile since I have bought any but I believe a cheap 1.75l bottle will set you back more than 50 bucks.

So even if it is legal alcohol it is not worth bringing across the line, I would never consider trying to ship illegal stuff across.
Yep, that's a twist. I'd take up distilling if I lived in Canada...well actually - I already have! Thanks for the input.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I know of someone who shipped a few bottles of alcohol to a person in Canada labeled as barbecue marinade but that isn't exactly legal so I wouldn't recommend it but technically speaking it could be used for such purposes :wink:
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

cranky wrote:I know of someone who shipped a few bottles of alcohol to a person in Canada labeled as barbecue marinade but that isn't exactly legal so I wouldn't recommend it but technically speaking it could be used for such purposes :wink:
for the hobbits, this might be an option. Would not set will with licensing groups.

Boom
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

BoomTown wrote:
cranky wrote:I know of someone who shipped a few bottles of alcohol to a person in Canada labeled as barbecue marinade but that isn't exactly legal so I wouldn't recommend it but technically speaking it could be used for such purposes :wink:
for the hobbits, this might be an option. Would not set will with licensing groups.

Boom
No it wouldn't but I believe UPS has provisions for shipping alcohol to Canada provided you are licensed and it is going to a licensed business. There has to be provisions for such things, after all they sell imported alcohol in Canada, it must get there somehow.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Window cleaning concentrate would be a good description... add a label saying how to mix it up say: one ounce in 7 ounces of H2O and then use as desired.... :D

Happy Stillin,

FS
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Just label it as what it is. Under contents put diuretic.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Guys..

Yeah bringing alcohol into Canada not easy and PITA... unless you do the 48 hour thing in the USA.... or someone from US coming up for a trip can bring alcohol with them.. not sure of amounts though... I guess you coudl say you drank it and leave it with someone. :crazy: :crazy: laws

B
Shiny Coke
Swill Maker

Post by Shiny Coke »

FullySilenced wrote:Window cleaning concentrate would be a good description... add a label saying how to mix it up say: one ounce in 7 ounces of H2O and then use as desired.... :D

Happy Stillin,

FS
:clap: how bout weed killer or label remover but that could raise the flag of TDG (Transportation of Dangerous Goods)
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

Learned a few years ago sending a bottle of good mexi Tekilla to a friend back east via FedEx.. Got a nice letter in the mail that it had been confiscated per their policies and to not ship alcohol without the proper permits and paperwork. Turns out you pretty much have to have a shippers account and fill out some paperwork, affix a special label and you're good to go.

The same applies to UPS with a few more restrictions

USPS will not ship anything alcohol related or anything that ever contained alcohol period.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Pesty wrote:Learned a few years ago sending a bottle of good mexi Tekilla to a friend back east via FedEx.. Got a nice letter in the mail that it had been confiscated per their policies and to not ship alcohol without the proper permits and paperwork. Turns out you pretty much have to have a shippers account and fill out some paperwork, affix a special label and you're good to go.

USPS will not ship anything alcohol related or anything that ever contained alcohol period.
"Confiscated" . . . and some drunk FedEx guys that night.

Yup, tax on alcohol in Canada is insane. Surprised we don't have even more hobby stillers on this forum from here.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Pesty wrote:Learned a few years ago sending a bottle of good mexi Tekilla to a friend back east via FedEx.. Got a nice letter in the mail that it had been confiscated per their policies and to not ship alcohol without the proper permits and paperwork. Turns out you pretty much have to have a shippers account and fill out some paperwork, affix a special label and you're good to go.

Yes, that is the case, and we have that proper permit with FedEx, but there are restrictions about sending stuff from USA to Canada. The simple fact is no, not if you want to keep your permit.

Boom
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

ive crossed into canada a few times and the last time i crossed , i was able to bring 48 12oz beers across, we declared it and went on our way

if you can use your imagination , one might be able to figure out how to get 48 12 oz beer bottles across the border filled with whiskey :silent: :shh: :twisted: 8) \

just saying. (best not to break the law)
juliodrinks
Novice

Post by juliodrinks »

Not only in Canada but anywhere in the world is always very complicated. :cry:

Anyone here recommend some company specializing in alcohol freight?