Texas Rum Distillery

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

michaelsura99
Novice

Texas Rum Distillery

Post by michaelsura99 »

Hello all,

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. I am looking to start up on a craft distillery this summer and plan to focus specifically on a Texas rum. Do you think there is a big enough market for a craft rum distillery? I have the capital to finance the product but would like for it to be able to turn a good profit after a couple of years. I have made rum for a couple of years and know i can make a good product. Also any ideas of a spirit to produce that could be a good money maker? Maybe a flavored rum with new types of flavor. I see big potential in new types of products. Deep eddies for example started in 2010 and is now huge. What do yall think?
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Texas Rum Distillery

Post by Badmotivator »

I'm afraid that this forum might not be the right place to get answers. First, we're not focused on or even particularly interested in business per se. Second, DFW may not be well represented here, and you need local interest to pay the bills. Third, how much should you really trust whatever answers you do get here? Any opinions you might get are probably not worth betting real money on.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but that's the way I see it. If you do start a venture I wish you the greatest success.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I was born and raised in fort worth... lived there till recently.
There is always a market for craft spirits. As for distillerys in texas- theres a lady making rum on the coast somewhere arounnd Galveston,cant recall the name of the distillery though. Then theres hillcountry distillery in comfort tx, http://www.hillcountrytxdistillers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last that i know of is trinity river distillers in fort worth at the old ranch style beans factory. http://Www.trinityriverdistillery.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Let me know if you go through with opening up and ill come visit.
Jbt
Oh,and treymark vodka was made in fortworth but idk if theyre still in buisness.
Last edited by jb-texshine on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Raileans is down south of Houston and they are a rum distillery. They also run the American rum association. I would talk to Kelly about it as they have been doing rum for quite a few years now. They get busy with tours on the weekends, so I would not just show up and expect to talk to Kelly.

Deep eddys probably had some big money behind it to do the marketing required to go that big. Opening a distillery is hard work and then you get to start marketing to keep in business. Plan on $500k to get started. Also check out the adi forum which is more geared to commercial distilleries that are small.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

bluefish_dist wrote:Raileans is down south of Houston and they are a rum distillery. They also run the American rum association. I would talk to Kelly about it as they have been doing rum for quite a few years now. They get busy with tours on the weekends, so I would not just show up and expect to talk to Kelly.

Deep eddys probably had some big money behind it to do the marketing required to go that big. Opening a distillery is hard work and then you get to start marketing to keep in business. Plan on $500k to get started. Also check out the adi forum which is more geared to commercial distilleries that are small.
Thats the one!
If i remember correctly, i first heard about it on "Dirty jobs"
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jb-texshine wrote:
bluefish_dist wrote:Raileans is down south of Houston and they are a rum distillery. They also run the American rum association. I would talk to Kelly about it as they have been doing rum for quite a few years now. They get busy with tours on the weekends, so I would not just show up and expect to talk to Kelly.

Thats the one!
If i remember correctly, i first heard about it on "Dirty jobs"
If you can't believe Mike Rowe who can you believe ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .