Best All Grain Press is a "No-Press"!

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Best All Grain Press is a "No-Press"!

Post by Haus »

Is miners moss to porous for this application? (yes, I'm hooked on the Gold Rush show)
you can lead a horse to water but it's hard as hell to drown it
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Well just a little update on the geo bags . I helped a friend with a run today. We took a 12 gallon mash and drained and squeezed it through a paint straining bag then poured it through the geosack. We didn't get any plug up and poured it straight into the boiler and ran it with no problems. It would still be better if it was only one step instead of two. Crossing my fingers that Flatwoods will find a source for the material he is using. I would certainly chip in on the expenses of buying and shipping.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

corene1 wrote:Well just a little update on the geo bags . I helped a friend with a run today. We took a 12 gallon mash and drained and squeezed it through a paint straining bag then poured it through the geosack. We didn't get any plug up and poured it straight into the boiler and ran it with no problems. It would still be better if it was only one step instead of two. Crossing my fingers that Flatwoods will find a source for the material he is using. I would certainly chip in on the expenses of buying and shipping.
Sounds pretty good. I'm thinking of ordering a geo bag, but I'm going to hold off to see if Flatwoods can find a source as well.

Now that I'm finally set up for real, AG is my next step. It'd be nice for straining these bananas, too :thumbup:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

corene1 wrote:Well just a little update on the geo bags . I helped a friend with a run today. We took a 12 gallon mash and drained and squeezed it through a paint straining bag then poured it through the geosack. We didn't get any plug up and poured it straight into the boiler and ran it with no problems. It would still be better if it was only one step instead of two. Crossing my fingers that Flatwoods will find a source for the material he is using. I would certainly chip in on the expenses of buying and shipping.
I can spare a few $ too .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Corene, is there some reason you didn't go directly into the geo bag?
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

S-Cackalacky wrote:
Corene, is there some reason you didn't go directly into the geo bag?
Yes, all the turb and grain particles plugged up the pores in the bag so it didn't flow at all. The paint bags got most of that out so the geo bag only had to strain he fine pieces out. All in all I believe the geo bag is a bit too dense of fabric.
midlife-u-turn
Bootlegger

Post by midlife-u-turn »

I've mentioned this in a few other posts regarding all grain batches, but I think it might be applicable here as well as some of you might like this method.
I think it is pretty close to what is being done in this thread.
I use one of these:
http://www.brewinabag.com/collections/f ... ectangular" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
It's custom made for my rectangular cooler mash tun. Very heavy duty and well made.
The most weight I've put in it to date is about 40 lbs of mixed grain.
I mash in the cooler, drain, sparge and drain. I put a rope through the handles and hang the bag over the cooler. Let gravity do its thing for about 30 minutes while I get my wort chiller going in the mash. When the grain is done dripping it's impressively dry. No squeezing, no muss no fuss.
When I transfer it from the fermenter I drain it through one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VM ... detailpage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Into a 5 gallon bucket and transfer.
As far as squeezing and mess it doesn't get much easier.

If you were fermenting on the grain you could just transfer the works into the bag, might even be able to ferment on the grain in the bag?
Hang the bag, let it drain and you're done.
Hopefully that helps, I sure like it.
LBHD
Bootlegger

Post by LBHD »

Bad news -

Second run through geo-pot was not as successful.

I washed the bag thoroughly and it took a couple days to dry out - when I used it last night to filter a much bigger mash, it wouldn't go.

It was squeezable, but the short, wide shape made it hard to keep from squashing mash out the top.

GA flatwoods - have you re-used your needle punched version yet?
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Anyone interested in a piece of material that has comment above for now only, send me a Email not pm with your address today.
GA Flatwoods
Last edited by ga flatwoods on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

LBHD wrote:Bad news -

I washed the bag thoroughly and it took a couple days to dry out - when I used it last night to filter a much bigger mash, it wouldn't go.
Yes, I wash mine with a hose mostly and whirl around my head like a lasso for about a minute and hand to dry for about 20-30 minutes depending on wind and sun and it is ready to go again.
GA Flatwoods
It was squeezable, but the short, wide shape made it hard to keep from squashing mash out the top.

I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

ga flatwoods wrote:
LBHD wrote:Bad news -

Yes, I wash mine with a hose mostly and whirl around my head like a lasso for about a minute and hang to dry for about 20-30 minutes depending on wind and sun and it is ready to go again.
GA Flatwoods
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

ga flatwoods wrote:Anyone interested in a piece of material that has comment above for now only, send me a Email not pm with your address today.
GA Flatwoods
Bump
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

ga flatwoods wrote:
ga flatwoods wrote:Anyone interested in a piece of material that has comment above for now only, send me a Email not pm with your address today.
GA Flatwoods
Bump
I'm gonna pass because the steam thing I got going. That will leave another for someone who needs it more. Merry Christmas somebody! And thank you for the offer Mr. Flatwoods!
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Well, all packages are out. Thanks for the offers to pay for the expenses. However there are none except for the $5.95 USPS Priority Flat rate shipping. So, if you get something, then Merry Christmas from the Ga Flatwoods! I cant wait to hear all of your tests using the material. It would not hurt to wash the material before use as I cut it with a razor on my garage floor and some of it got more stuff on it than others. This sample of material cost me nithing as it was given to me by a friend so I can afford to reciprocate. So, try it, picture, post and tell how it worked for you as payment.
Thanks
Flatwoods
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Thank you, Flatwoods, I'm really looking forward to trying this out.
I have a bourbon style mash fermenting right now and will post my impressions soon.
I will give it a try along side a lighter weight Geo Sack that I had already picked up earlier.
Whether it works for me or not, thanks again for the opportunity to try it out! :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Yes a big thanks goes out to you Flatwoods. I have sent my address to you I hope it came through. Looking forward to using this material.
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Very Generous GA, Thank You!

I would be more than happy to cover the shipping.
you can lead a horse to water but it's hard as hell to drown it
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Everyone expecting, and a few not, should have received their package. Anxiously awaiting trials and reports! Merry Christmas to all
Flatwoods
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
LBHD
Bootlegger

Post by LBHD »

ga flatwoods wrote:Everyone expecting, and a few not, should have received their package. Anxiously awaiting trials and reports! Merry Christmas to all
Flatwoods
Got mine - in laws are in town for longer than planned.. should have a report by the end of the weekend though :crazy:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Just returned from being out of town and found a package of geo-strain waiting for me, Thanks GA!
Upon initial inspection, it appears to be of very similar weight and density when compared to the GeoSack I picked up at the grow shop a few weeks ago.
I will do a side by side comparison with the straining to see what differences there are between the two.

My bourbon style ferment looks to be ready to strain out, so I will be reporting back soon.

Here is a pic showing the tag from my G-Lite bag:
geobag.JPG
MichiganCornhusker
retired

OK, my results are in. I'm sold on the GAF fabric.
My GeoSack did a pretty good job too, but it is actually a little heavier, and kept the grain from draining quite as well.
Both methods worked great as filters, as Flatwoods reports, the beer coming through is quite clear. I would not hesitate to go right into the boiler with it.
I am, however, going to let this set overnight just to see how much settles out of suspension, but it sure doesn't look cloudy at all.

The piece Flatwoods sent me is roughly 4' x 4', so I was able to drape it over a 40 gallon Brute trash can and wrap rope around the edge, kinda like a drum. But I let the fabric fall into the can, so it made a big bowl.
I think having this much surface area was why it worked so much better than the GeoSack. The grains in the sack just sort of stacked up and compressed on themselves, where the grains on the Brute were more spread out and had more surface area to drain through.

At the end, the grain might be a little more damp than when squeezing, but I doubt there is much there to be recovered. All in all, I got about 26 gallons of very clear beer, about 10 gallons of spent grain mush, and zero hand straining/squeezing.

I did have a thought for big batches. Some kind of big sluice, to spread the grain out even more, might work even faster, better.
This was about a 35 gallon fermentation, and if I hadn't done half in the GeoSack, then I think it would have been too much for my Brute system.

Thanks for getting this to me, GA, it's how I'll be doing my filtering from now on. :thumbup:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Thanks Mr flatwoods. I have a corn malt, wheat and the that was ground to flour/very fine meal. I have yet to ring anything that a lazy manwill use to filter exept steam injection. Hope to test tomorrow.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Glad it worked well for you! Merry Christmas!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I received my piece and have done the washing and swinging it around over my head to dry as instructed in an earlier post :D . I have an AG mash to clear and run this weekend and am looking forward to using it.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

corene1 wrote:I ....have done the washing and swinging it around over my head to dry as instructed...
Yep, me too. Like a cowboy... :D
I'll be interested to see how you think this compares to the sack you used on the last one.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Try the bucket in the brute as I initially showed. It will handle the large batches well! Initial report as ecpected. Good luck to all and enjoy your straining.
Ga Flatwoods
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
corene1 wrote:I ....have done the washing and swinging it around over my head to dry as instructed...
Yep, me too. Like a cowboy... :D
I'll be interested to see how you think this compares to the sack you used on the last one.
any chance there is video?

:ebiggrin:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Flatwoods surprised me with a piece too :D Now I need to get geared up for that all grain I've been accumulating malt for. I'm thinking this stuff might be just the thing for plums as well.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Well, I can confirm filtration this morning.
Usually when I strain through my BIAB sack from the homebrew shop I put everything into carboys to settle out. I end up with not much sediment in the first carboy then an inch or two in the next couple, and the last one can have as much has half trub, even after a few days of letting it compact on itself.

This morning I only have about 1/2" sediment in each of 4 carboys. 12 hours, and all clear. No doubt, this stuff works great.

I went all out and tried to dump/strain the whole 35 gallon ferment/grains all at once.
I think maybe doing this in two or even more passes, draining 10# - 15# of grain at a time would work fine, even with the 10 gallon GeoSack, especially with gooey batches like corn or rye.
Because the GeoSack might be more readily available to people, I will continue to see how I can make it work as well as the larger piece of fabric. They both did a great job of filtering for me, I think I just overwhelmed the GeoSack with too much goo at once.

Already looking forward to straining my next batch!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thank you for your generosity . Got mine 2 days ago . Got to get something ready to try it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .