Removing liquid from all grain mashes

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OldManP
Swill Maker

Removing liquid from all grain mashes

Post by OldManP »

In an effort to get more of the good stuff from the true method of making whiskey, I've been thinking about trying to get all the liquid out of all grain mashes/ferments before throwing it in the still.

I know some folks squeeze the grain to get the liquid out, but what if you could throw the grain into a centrifuge?

If you had a grain bag or a container like a colander from the kitchen, then you could spin it inside a keg or large pot and catch the liquid. This might remove more of the liquid lodged in the grain.

I was thinking if you could drill hundreds of little holes in a pot, pour the grain in, and then spin it inside a BOP (keg) with a motor, then pour out the liquid collected in the keg.

Any thoughts?

OMP
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
rubber duck
retired

Re: Removing liquid from all grain mashes

Post by rubber duck »

I have thought, go get the ocd checked. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Ok I have been thinking the same thing not because it would be efficient, it's not going to be after the clean up time, but because it's there to be done. I keep drawing a blank so I'm not much help but you have my attention.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

You could recycle an old spin dryer.
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Hey OMP, there's a thread somewhere about using a washing machine to strain out the liquid. Similar idear to yours.

On a side note, the last mash strained I used my wine press. Worked pretty good except the spaces between the slats were too big so the grains kept popping our in the most inappropriate way. A screen inside the press would have helped. Cheers, bd.

Beat me to it olddog :D
I do all my own stunts
OldManP
Swill Maker

Post by OldManP »

Glad I'm not alone!! I was too thinking about a washing machine or a dryer...I'll have to see what i can turn up.
Anyone else done this or think it might be a good idea to try?

OMP
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

blind put the grain in a pillow case or rap it in a single wove sheet. some curtains work good.
ole boys found out the hard way there ma didnt take kindly to them usein her curtain
for squeezein with while she was out visitin. you wanna talk bout some kinda mad.
you put it in a sack if you use a warshin machine. watch the screen an it will get off center.
ole boys seen a modyfyed hand cranked honey extracter used to spin but caint see no future in it.
if you got a jack a stout stick an plywood you got a press. modyfy it to fit what you got.
caint go getin to greedy makein likker. get what you can an move on. the efert could be used on makein
another charge.

so im tole
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

LIke goose said... get what you can and move on. Its hardly worth the effort to squeeze out every last drop.

If you do want to get it all, then just distill on the grain... but be ready for a whole new round of problems to overcome. :shock:
this is the internet
ImSkyCaptain
Novice

Post by ImSkyCaptain »

I’m struggling with the same thing right now, my all grain mashes are extremely thick! I’ve been using brew bags to strain but they’re a bit too fine and the bags can be very heavy as well as hard to manage. I need a new/better method for getting just the good stuff. I’ve seen centrifugal devices used by bee keepers for getting the honey from comb, and think one could be adapted for our purposes fairly easily.
Here’s a link to one for sale on amazon. Give the design a look and tell me what you think.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

put centrifuge in the search bar.
be water my friend
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I think junkyard dawgs summary from 10 years back holds up today - grain is relatively cheap, our time is arguably more valuable. It makes a lot of sense to look at how it's made commercially and then try to scale it down.

https://www.alcademics.com/2013/07/how- ... ition.html

But if you can't fit a solids-capable column still in your shop (joking) consider indirect heating but for hobby I think:

1) distill on the grain with jacketed or steam injected methods

Or what about doubling your batch size and tossing what won't work for the still? I use flours and my fermenters settle to about 55-60% liquid on top of a dense bed of grain. And that 40-45% grain bed is not 8% alcohol, it's less because of the solids. Give 'em to the chickens, they'll get drunk and be happy.

2) toss the solids using gravity/time/siphoning

Or just make single malt like the Scots do, no solids there. With enough rice hulls you could do 50/50 lautered batches using wheat, corn or rye but you'll have to stick to flaked or malted adjuncts if you want full conversion in the mash tun.

3) no solids from the get-go
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I just lauter by keeping grains cracked not milled fine. With extra time they convert just fine and the bigger sizes allow lautering. I use 10 gallon drink coolers which hold heat perfectly. I get full conversions.

If you don't want to lauter consider a mop strainer or similar but try it after mashing and before fermenting. Then just rinse the grains again in water used for the next batch in case you get 1 or 2% potential sugar off the grains (no waste). There won't be any nasty lees or yeast stuck to the grains this way.

Both of the above techniques give you clean ferments with little to no solids allowing for bigger size ferments (all liquid). This allows the yeast to settle to the bottom and makes it easy to rack off quite easily. In either case above you can use as much sparge or rinse water (up to the needed amount of water for your next batch) to clean the grains as you will recycle it.

Use a nice big thumper during stripping. Put your clear liquids in the boiler and your grains and dirty liquid in the thumper so you don't get scorches.

Those to me are the 3 easiest ways to handle grains.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

cayars wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:22 am I just lauter by keeping grains cracked not milled fine. With extra time they convert just fine and the bigger sizes allow lautering. I use 10 gallon drink coolers which hold heat perfectly. I get full conversions.

If you don't want to lauter consider a mop strainer or similar but try it after mashing and before fermenting. Then just rinse the grains again in water used for the next batch in case you get 1 or 2% potential sugar off the grains (no waste). There won't be any nasty lees or yeast stuck to the grains this way.

Both of the above techniques give you clean ferments with little to no solids allowing for bigger size ferments (all liquid). This allows the yeast to settle to the bottom and makes it easy to rack off quite easily. In either case above you can use as much sparge or rinse water (up to the needed amount of water for your next batch) to clean the grains as you will recycle it.

Use a nice big thumper during stripping. Put your clear liquids in the boiler and your grains and dirty liquid in the thumper so you don't get scorches.

Those to me are the 3 easiest ways to handle grains.
That's good information there. I need to save this to remind me how to do things instead of the failed ways I have done in the past. LOL I have struggled with dirty beer in my pot causing scorching and puking. I need to do something different and this is the direction to go. Thanks
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Irish and Scotch are fermented off grain, Bourbon mostly on grain, Canadian both ways, Japan mostly off grain as they imitate Scotch, India both ways,etc...

Really no right or wrong way when doing it at home. Just do it the way that works best for you and your equipment. You can make great whiskey both ways. I find, I like the "cleaner" taste off grain even for bourbon but it's personal based in my equipment. I do bourbon both ways depending on mood. Rye runs much easier for me off grain without foaming.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.