Airlock silencer

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SMOKEU
Novice

Airlock silencer

Post by SMOKEU »

I want to know how I can make my airlock quieter (and yes, I have used the search function to no avail). It doesn't have to be completely noise-free but I don't really like that bubbling sound when I'm trying to sleep.
rad14701
retired

Re: Airlock silencer

Post by rad14701 »

Tossing a clean rag over mine seems to help a lot... We always have an ample supply of retired dish clothes and wash clothes kicking around... Part of the reason I make my own airlocks is because they run so much quieter than most commercial versions...
still_in
Novice

Post by still_in »

if you use the three piece kind with the vial-like center piece and the tubular housing it is vastly quieter than the 3 way coil thing with chambers. you know what i mean?
liqarchy - a society based on liquor
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

+1 still_in.

my 3 piece from the brewshop is much much quieter than the s shaped one. instead of a bong like bubble, like in the s shaped one, the 3 piece makes hardly any noise at all. i think a little extra water added to the lock helps the 3 piece suppress noise.

or you can learn to just love the sound...as it means likker is-a-comin!
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I never use an airlock, just a piece of cheese cloth over the top of an 80 litre fermenter, held in place with the elastic cut from an old pair of undies. This keeps the flies out.

However, I do remember about forty years back a girlfriend of mine made wine and fermented it in her bedroom. Maybe had six or more gallon jars bubbling away. Strange thing is that I NEVER noticed any noise. These days I could be forgiven because my hearing is somewhat stuffed, but my hearing was first class in those days. :econfused:

I really don't know that an air lock is really all that necessary when fermenting for spirits, but others will disagree.

blanik
Last edited by blanikdog on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Use a balloon with a pinprick in it for a air lock.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

SMOKEU wrote:I want to know how I can make my airlock quieter (and yes, I have used the search function to no avail). It doesn't have to be completely noise-free but I don't really like that bubbling sound when I'm trying to sleep.
Move the bed?
The Baker
SMOKEU
Novice

Post by SMOKEU »

I bought a new airlock from my LHBS. Same price as the traditional airlocks. This new one is almost silent. I can't even hear it from a metre away when it's fermenting furiously.
toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Post by toofless one »

Excellent
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Here's a page that shows how to silence a gurgling venturi (which inducts air into water). I know you are not trying to silence a suction, but the same principle should still be effective. http://www.randystacye.com/diy_venturi_silencer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
This is a link to the video where the basic design is demonstrated http://randystacye.com/images/diyventir ... cervid.mpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

+1 on the just-don't-use-one option
Last edited by kiwistiller on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

what's wrong with taters balloon with a pin hole?

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

blanikdog wrote:what's wrong with taters balloon with a pin hole?

blanik
The baloon sounds like an excellent idea. The pin hole can stretch to blow off pressure, and if the fermenter ever sucks the baloon will collapse and shut off. + a balloon will fit over the bulb of an 's' airlock.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

In winter when I ferment in the kitchen, I'll hit the 'mute' during commercials and its a wonderful sound, that glub glub glub, and the aroma only makes it better, , , ,-hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
ScottishBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ScottishBoy »

Change your airlock to a hose with an air diffuser on the end like the ones they use for fish tanks. Just let that drop into a glass of water and you have a very quiet indicator.

Moving the carbouy is always an option...;)
ScottishBoy
HD Survival in a Nutshell...
Read.Search.Listen.Ask for feedback, you WILL get it. Plastic is always "questionable". Dont hurry. Be Careful. Dont Sell,Tell, or Yell. If you wouldnt serve it to your friends, then it isnt worth keeping.