How to build a cider press

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: How to build a cider press

Post by Bushman »

Yes, we like pictures. I also use a woodchipper as my scatter. Here is a link to my set-up.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 83&t=51537
flying cowman
Novice

Post by flying cowman »

Ok, hopefully these will work -

FC
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Flying Cowman,

Welcome to the forums. Your comments and stories about cider are very much welcome. That's a beautiful press. I have pics and such of mine in the signature just below. Ive been at it a while myself, 20 years+, but not nearly as long as you. I do about 1500lbs of apples a year, most of it goes to brandy. I'll keep 5-10 gal of cider to put on tap. Cheers.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
flying cowman
Novice

Post by flying cowman »

Thanks Jimbo,

Not so experienced as you'd think as I had a long break from my early days on Dartmoor as a teen until I started making cider again about six years ago. However, my cider seems to be consistently good (so I and most of my friends think anyway) so I must be doing something right :D

Distilling is a new thing though and the learning process is steep - My eyes really do hurt from all the reading I'm doing here!

FC
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Very impressive setup flying cowman, I did about 1,000 pounds of apples last year mostly with a food processor and 3 gallon press. :crazy:
Like Jimbo most of it went to brandy. Here is my thread on my fruity adventures http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=90 Pg 4 is where 2014 ends and 2015 begins. I did mostly apples in 2015. This year I am working on upsizing my setup to handle many more apples.
flying cowman
Novice

Post by flying cowman »

I only started making cider again as we moved into a house with a few trees in the garden - I now collect apples from half a dozen local with trees plus a mate of mine who has a small orchard! Spend most days off in September and October on it now much to my wife's annoyance :wtf: :thumbup:

FC
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Thanks for the follow up and pictures as mentioned very impressive you should be able to handle a lot in a short time with that set-up.
aduckyfour
Novice

Post by aduckyfour »

Kiwistiller make one here https://medicinalpurposes.wordpress.com ... der-press/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
tuf720
Novice

Post by tuf720 »

aduckyfour wrote:Kiwistiller make one here https://medicinalpurposes.wordpress.com ... der-press/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
thats cool
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Dam. Just spent an hour reading his blog. That is one lucky guy to have access to that equipment. I will be back after mopping the floor of all this drool.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I've been seriously considering going the washing machine route. It seems so ridiculous and so sensible at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj9z7NbO9mk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
flying cowman
Novice

Post by flying cowman »

I've seen that before but having taken a few washing machines apart over the years I'd only consider doing it by using a cheap new one. Have you seen all the milky white gunk that accumulates in washing machines? Even loads of acid washes would struggle to remove that stuff! :shock:

FC
Radek
Novice

Post by Radek »

Hi. Why You want to build, is it not easier and cheaper to buy ??

http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Equipment/Fr ... 4c169.html
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Radek wrote:Hi. Why You want to build, is it not easier and cheaper to buy ??
At £119.00 - £189.00 for an 18 liter press I would hardly call it cheaper than building. My press handles about 10 gallons (37.85 liters) of pulp at a pressing and cost maybe $50, that's only £38 and it is still too small for my needs but to make it bigger will cost almost nothing but time. I used to use one of those little presses and it takes forever to do a lot of apples and the bigger you get with a commercially made press the more expensive it is.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Radek wrote:Hi. Why You want to build, is it not easier and cheaper to buy ??]
I guess same reason why some people choose to build their own still, or distill their own booze..
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Corsaire wrote:
Radek wrote:Hi. Why You want to build, is it not easier and cheaper to buy ??]
I guess same reason why some people choose to build their own still, or distill their own booze..
I bought one of those 2nd hand in the spring for £30 - because I've been threatening to make one for years and never got around to it :oops:

Our washing machines are "front loaders" which have the drum mounted in teh hoizontal plane rather than vertical, so they are effectively a bloody great cheese grater from the outside - minor (major) adaptions should be able to make that into a great "chipper".

I was thinking that a pair of washing machine drums welded one on top of the other, with the fiddly bits cut out would make a super stainless cylinder for the barrel of a fruit press, but soe many other things to do ! :oops: