buying a barrel?, My adventure and advice

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: buying a barrel?, My adventure and advice

Post by cranky »

Swedish Pride wrote:anyone got a good source of barrels for europe?
I contacted Gibbs about sendign here, they did not get back to me yet, they might not be too keen on it?
thinking arts of mexico but 3dogs comment put me off a bit
What about Odin? Isn't he selling barrels now?
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

good catch @ Cranky
I reached out to him but the smallest ones he has are 30l, I was thinking 5-10l, 20l at a stretch. 30l would take me a year to fill
Don't be a dick
Johnnywhiskey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

In my experience he American barrels (Gibb and Barrel Mill) are more well build and produce a better product. I was never able to get a decent bourbon flavor profile from the Mexican barrels. Maybe they don't char them enough? And when you scale up to 3 or 5 gallons the price difference is not that big to buy American. Made some decent rum with a Mexican barrel though, and the price is good for the small barrels which are good for experimenting. A lot of Angel's Share with the thin staves, wouldnt age it for more than a few months.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Hey Swedish Pride,

In my winemaking and brewshop they sell new and used barrels, both American and French oak and some chestnut as well. The chestnut ones are big but cheap, I don't know what flavour to expect from them.

http://www.bmswijndepot.com/nl/Catalogu ... ken-tonnen

Maybe just go and take a look what your local winemaker shop has to offer?

Cheers!
kekedog13
Bootlegger

Post by kekedog13 »

I was gives a 1liter mini barrel for Fathers Day. It is from http://www.hillcountrydistillersTX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. I filled it with hot water, NO leaks. Then filled it with Blue Flame Bourbon, still no leaks. After 5 days it is the color of apple juice and already tastes fantastic.I have aged with charred oak barrel stave sticks before this and I am very pleased and surprised at the results I have gotten from this tiny barrel.It is varnished which wouldn't have been my choice but you don't look a gift barrel in the bung. :thumbup:
Yahoo Mountain Dew ! It'll Tickle You're Innards !
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Little bit of sanding will remove the varnish. Get you to nice Virgin wood.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.