accelerated aging process

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Re: accelerated aging process

Post by corene1 »

KYMountainMan wrote:
corene1 wrote:I would be curious to know how much oak you use per jar of liquor to get the flavor profile you like? Do you like long slender sticks with little end grain or short fat sticks with a lot of end grain exposed. I have found that amount of wood and the amount of end grain exposed makes a big difference in flavor . As far as cycling the temps and letting the jars breath , this is my solution, a toasted oak lid , it lets the whisky breath naturally .
PB290002.JPG

In order to get a true 'barrel experience' you would need to have the lid split in several places to allow the contents to breath. After all, true barrels 'breath' between the staves and not necessarily through the wood. A couple of tiny drilled holes might also do the trick. I'm talking the smallest bit you could find, and then maybe cover it with cheesecloth. After all, you won't be able to simulate a true barrel breathing because the microscopic pathways to the atmosphere aren't there.

All in all, it's a neet experiment ...pun intended.
Actually it does breath quite well almost to good on the first lids so I had to go to thicker lids. One complete cycle being one year summer to summer saw a 7% loss in volume. On a long term lid you can see the staining that occurs from the vapors going through the wood. Look at the edge of the exposed lid, that was only a few months in the summer, 100 plus during the day and 70's at night. But I am getting this thread off course . Just some links to different threads, but lots of information for thought in them.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=44034
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=52809
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 89&t=49410
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice job documenting your results Corene1. What size jars are you putting those lids on? The reason I ask I have 1 four gallon Mason jar and a 2 gallon Mason jar with glass lids and am sure the percent would change with the volume.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Thanks Corene,

I was a little concerned when I read the oxygen traveled in the seams of the barrel as I am currently constructing some 12", 5 gallon stainless barrels with solid oak heads on both ends. No seams in the heads at all..... This project was inspired by Bad Motivators Bain Marie Barrels. My oak is 1.5"s thick but am considering planing it down some. Your thoughts??
buckfity6
Novice

Post by buckfity6 »

I love the feed back on this topic, I have learned a lot in the past year and understand much more about Angel hairs and exchange of oxygen. I tried using the same methods but have warmed the jars slowly in pots of water up to 90 degrees and been using 1/8 oak lids with extremely small slots that swelled practically shut after about 3 to 4 days, I have been heating for 7 days and cooling in a freezer for 7 days for a period of 3 months I have some darn impressive likker.
Please keep this post alive so we can all learn from it.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

I am glad you came back to visit your thread...

:thumbup: Keep trying! make something you like and make yourself happy....

Happy Stillin, Keep on Nukin ... :shifty:

FS

time flies when your having fun.
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

This was a great read. Kudos to all.