Using a Wine filter for wash??

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Using a Wine filter for wash??

Post by der wo »

My problem with this quote is, that when I google "dreaded esters" I only find homedistillers talking about his book. It seems noone else knows those "dreaded esters". And he doesn't explain, what exactly it is. Perhaps simply ethyl acetate? Because perhaps he ferments without airlock? So short after the fermentation slows down it gets infected by vinegar mother? I don't know. I like my mashes fermented dry.

Looking at wormtub.com it seems, many scottish distilleries use different fermentation durations. Why? Because of taste? No. Because of the weekend break. Caol Ila's normal fermentation is 80 hours, at weekend 120h. So perhaps to wait a day more or not doesn't make such a great difference?

Woodford claims: "Our fermentation process is among the longest in the industry. It creates a great depth of character and a complex range of flavors."
Of course this is advertisement.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
papapro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by papapro »

It seems to me that when you leave longer for couple weeks in the fermenter there will be some yeast inthe wash and no sugar to process it the yeast might process one another.
that i think might happen.
My next 2 batches I will try egxactly same recepe one just when around 1000 and next at 995
to see the difference.

Regards papapro
Yes I am a Novice with 40+ years of doing this hobby
distilling is like sex the slower the better and everyone is happy
fermenting is opposit to sex the faster the better
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Interesting experiment. Because of course only practice counts. Not the theory, if yeast starts to eat indigestible starches or their buddies and this causes other congeners or so.

Perhaps you post the results in another or a new thread. We are far away from filtering a wash now.

Edit: From 1.000 to 0.995 will not need weeks. Perhaps it needs a day or two. Good ferments can go down to 0.990 -0.985. But this need a week more than 1.000. It depends mainly on sufficient nutrients. So if you make something like birdwatchers and don't add nutrients, probably it will not drop more than to 0.995.

For this experiment I would simply make two identical washes and distill one of them three days before the other. Or make one large wash and split it while fermentation (not at the end of fermenation. This can cause an infection) and let one ferment three days longer than the other.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
papapro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by papapro »

Der Wo when years ago my wife wanted me to make wine I bought wine filter and used it for wines. Since I use it very seldom recently I was thinking to use it for washes.
But I started reading books about this craft and where is the best knowledge in the books of professionals who did it in the labs and distilleries.And many of them do not mention filtering so I do not filter. In the book of Ian Smiley he recommends removing fore at 1 drop per second and heads at 2, We often rush and run their stills at full power I found that better product I get when running slower half power. Next weekend I am going to try get some heads at 1 drop per second and see how much compression I am going to get. I run 50 cm column at 2 inch with SPP from Poland they are amazing but as seller states max power 115W/cm2 is to much I like 50-70W. I will post my findings.

Regards papapro
Yes I am a Novice with 40+ years of doing this hobby
distilling is like sex the slower the better and everyone is happy
fermenting is opposit to sex the faster the better
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

To run a still at full power doesn't mean to rush. At least if you are running a reflux still, full power means more redistillations and more compression, depending on the output rate of course. The Polish SPP seller says for a 49mm ID column max 2080 W. I use his SPP too. I get more purity/compression (higher abv) when I use the maximum wattage than less watt even with a lower output rate. My "azeo" is lower when using less energy. I sometimes have to reduce the heat because of foaming.
Now we are even more off-topic. :roll: