Oak Barrels, Where to buy?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oak Barrels, Where to buy?

Post by Deerhunter »

I would like to oak my product from my up coming spirit run. Would like to know the best place to buy some mini barrels. Saw a few places online for med. charred oak barrels. Looking in the range of 5L. Any suggestions?
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Oak Barrels, Where to buy?

Post by BoomTown »

Buy what you want, but a 5 L barrel is a waste if you ask me. That size is so small the evaporation rate exceeds the aging process. My recommendation is a 3 gallon or 5 gallon barrel, with the 5 gallon being the better option. You'll end up with better booze, and more of it.

Gibbs Brothers cooperage in AR makes a great barrel for this purpose.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Thanks BT.......Will look into that. Wasn't sure on the size. Also wanted an opinion on filling barrel with water. There's comments on the oak will absorb the water and release when filled with your product causing dilution. Seems hard to believe the barrel would absorb that much water?
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Deerhunter wrote:Thanks BT.......Will look into that. Wasn't sure on the size. Also wanted an opinion on filling barrel with water. There's comments on the oak will absorb the water and release when filled with your product causing dilution. Seems hard to believe the barrel would absorb that much water?
Not necessary to completely fill with H20 to rehydrate a dry barrel. We use about 1 qt of distilled H20 in a 5 gallon, but we also set it into a basin and pour water around the base, then we pour water onto the head, and drape a towel over it that wicks the water from the basin, turn the barrel over a couple of times. Keep adding water to the basin for a couple of days if the barrel is really dry. Check the barrel for leaks by filling it up and rolling it around for a couple of hours. If it does not leak, drain it, and let it drain over night then start filling it. Should be all set, for a 5g in about 4 months, 10g takes about 6mo. Longer is better, but once it reaches the maturity you like, bottle it and refill it. Each cycle will take longer to reach the finish, but a barrel is good for about 4 pretty good cycles for a whiskey, and then can be used for a rum, or even a gin. We have a following of beer brewers for our used barrels.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

would a 10l barrel be a better option? I think a 20L would be to big for me. Don't think I would be able to fill it. for me to end up with 5 gallons on a spirit run is pretty big.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Deerhunter wrote:would a 10l barrel be a better option? I think a 20L would be to big for me. Don't think I would be able to fill it. for me to end up with 5 gallons on a spirit run is pretty big.
I don't think that's what Boomtown said. Reread his answer.

If you need to do more than one run for 5 gallons, then what's the rub? Do it. It may take longer to fill the cask, but the product will be better for it. Just do it.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

I guess then its best to go bigger. I could save up in glass carboys then put on oak when I have my 5 gallons.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Deerhunter wrote:I guess then its best to go bigger. I could save up in glass carboys then put on oak when I have my 5 gallons.
I save up in a 4 gallon and 2 gallon ball jars (not a typo) with wood chips then transfer it over to a 10 L barrel. I use the solera method thus am always taking some and leaving some.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Deerhunter wrote:would a 10l barrel be a better option? I think a 20L would be to big for me. Don't think I would be able to fill it. for me to end up with 5 gallons on a spirit run is pretty big.
You don't plan to sell anything, so the legal rules don't apply. Homebound craftsmen have been incrementally filling wooden barrels for centuries. The booze get along just fine, in fact improves over time as you mix in different runs with earlier aged spirit. Just take your time, filling it as you can. Keep a different barrel for each recipe you make though. You can start to enjoy your drink as soon as it begins to taste like you want it to. Simply draw off enough to make a couple of jugs, replace what you take out with new stuff, then after you drink what you've drawn off, repeat the cycle. As long as you are making as much as you drink, and you let a couple of months pass between the draws, the whiskey will simply get better and better. You'll never miss the angels share either.

Keep in mind, it's a hoppy, not a competition. Just make what you like, often enough to keep filling your barrels. Odds are pretty good, your days of distilling will diminish as your whiskey gets better.

I recommend hobbyists go with a 10 (37.8L) gallon barrel, otherwise use glass with oak staves. Barrel ages is better over time. Smaller barrels loose too much volume to the angels too fast (they're actually just big sponges drying out). 10 gallon full wooden barrels weigh in at about 100 lbs full, which is a handful for a grown man, but once you get it full, and let it sit for 6 or 8 months, it's like having your very own high quality liquor store in you closest, or garage. Store it where the air can't flow around it too much, and it'll be just fine.

b
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

Hey Boomer, that's really great advice. Thank you. I've been torn between a 5 or a 10 gallon for a long time and I think you just helped make up my mind. I totally understand about the smaller barrels and the angels share. I have a 5L now that is thicker than most but still it gives a bunch away.

Since I prefer single malt and want a used whiskey barrel do you know a good source for that?
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

That about clears it up for me as well. I'll be getting a 20l.

Anybody buy from http://www.barrelsonline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow?
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

With myu pending spirit run will have 6 g.. so thinking like Boom sad getting a 10g for it. I figure could fill it in 2 more runs after this one is done so like 1-2 months.. Maybe willl continue the sweet feed.

For smaller rungs I use gallon Jugs and oak stick deerhunter look at the thread oaking the T-ee way.

B
teh721
Novice

Post by teh721 »

I'm picking up a bag of these today to try with a couple jars: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jack-Daniel- ... s/20713674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I watched a couple video's online and this seemed like a pretty cool alternative to buying pre-toasted/charred white oak or making your own.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

JD chips are ok.. I like my own oak sticks the t-pee way 10x better than JD chips.
B
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

teh721 wrote:I'm picking up a bag of these today to try with a couple jars: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jack-Daniel- ... s/20713674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I watched a couple video's online and this seemed like a pretty cool alternative to buying pre-toasted/charred white oak or making your own.
Find the barrel chunks and split them into sticks. It works much better. The one thing that bothers me the most abut the chips is the nasty outsides of the barrels are just chipped up. You know those barrels were rolling around in a dirty warehouse for years with rats and mice pissing and crapping on them. Don't worry though, your liquor is cleaning that off the wood chips for you! :sick:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
teh721
Novice

Post by teh721 »

I'm happy to report back that I had a huge success with the wood chip route. I picked up a bag of the Jack Daniels wood chips, as well as a bag of cherry smoking chips. I washed the chips really well and then microwaved them just to be safe and then measured out 1.5oz of the JD Chips, and .5 oz of the cherry chips per 16oz jar and filled with 65% corn spirits.

Here's a pic of the first couple jars:
aging.jpg
And here's a small sample taken after 30 hours on the wood chips:
30 hours.jpg
Loving this hobby!
TEH721
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

By far not enough chips in the jars :lol: .
Did you toast them before? Or what we see is raw wood oak tee? Does it taste like this?
schrankwand_eiche_rustikal.jpg
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
teh721
Novice

Post by teh721 »

Most of the jars just got clean chips, but for three of the jars I did toast them a bit just as a test.

So far I havent really noticed that much of a difference in the color profile, and in the end I will probably blend everything together just to get as uniform of a taste as possible. Now I have to start figuring out how to squeeze that amber goodness out of those selfish wood chips to reclaim as much as possible ;)

*edit* I also tried alternating the jars between being outside in the sun, and then in the refrigerator during the evening. I read somewhere that this might help with moving the spirits through the wood a little better *edit*

The small glass I sampled at 30 hours was quite frankly fantastic. I'm a big fan of the Kentucky whiskey's JB, Makers, Bulleit, etc, and while I wouldnt compare this batch in quality to one of them, I would definitely be happy to sit and sip this on the deck with a good cigar any evening.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

der wo wrote:By far not enough chips in the jars :lol: .
Did you toast them before? Or what we see is raw wood oak tee? Does it taste like this?
The attachment schrankwand_eiche_rustikal.jpg is no longer available
I don't know what you are talking about Wo! There has to be room for at least three or four more chips in each jar :shock: .

In a month these guys will be ready to party!
termites.jpg
termites.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 9386 times
Using Google Search

der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Cheers!
126701624.jpg
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
teh721
Novice

Post by teh721 »

Hey now, you get your protein your way ill get mine my way lol!

-TEH721
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

5 gallons is a lot of whisky for the average hobby distillers. It takes a lot of work to make 5 gallons of good corn whiskey, but it's well worth it. I use 5 gallon Gibbs barrels, they cost a lot of money and you have to do a lot of work.

In this hobby makeing a good drink isn't hard, makeing an excellent drink takes work.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

In this hobby makeing a good drink isn't hard, makeing an excellent drink takes work.[/quote]

You are so right RD.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Another option and were I am going is stainless 5G corny kegs. Replace orings with ptfe orings and then you have an all stainless and ptfe... Then you can add wood to age from a couple gallons to 5 gallons at a time. You can also change the toast/char till you get exactly what you like.

This is were I am going as barrels are a bit pricy up here.

B
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

bitter wrote:Another option and were I am going is stainless 5G corny kegs. Replace orings with ptfe orings and then you have an all stainless and ptfe... Then you can add wood to age from a couple gallons to 5 gallons at a time. You can also change the toast/char till you get exactly what you like.

This is were I am going as barrels are a bit pricy up here.

B
I'm with you. 5 gallons isn't all that hard. I have one corny filled with Panela rum and another with sweet feed now sitting in the corner of the garage with chunks of burnt oak in them. Got two more I am working to fill up now.
Using Google Search

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Another benifit of the corny keg if you can put 1-2G in there and then put a little co2 in it to stop/minimize oxidization. Then when close to full add oak.

I have made 8g of SF 2 dissapeared.. 6 ready for aging once I pickup more corny kegs.

B
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Hi Folks, I've been out of the loop for several weeks, busy on several fronts, so haven't had much time for checking in on these parts. Hope I haven't missed much.

But, this morning I got a call from Mr. Gibbs, asking if we were ready to buy more barrels yet. Gibbs make 3, 5, 10, 15 and some 30 gallon New White Oak barrels down there near Hot Springs, Arkansas, and our experience with them is that they produce a superior whiskey. His service impeccable, and very timely. Also, no order is too small.

Chatting with him today, he indicated that the weather has been dry, and they've had no trouble getting into the woods to harvest, but that sales this year aew slower than they have been in past years, so they have plenty of inventory available. He's hoping for rain, but looking forward to a great holiday season.

Might want to give them a call if you're looking for small barrels.

Boom.
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

Boom:

I need another 5 gallon or 10 gallon for the All grain, Bourbon mash bill I've been trying.

Homebrewing.com has used BALCONES 5 gallon barrels for $129 plus shipping.

What do the new GIBBS barrels run?. 5 gallon and 10 gallon size?

(I just emailed GIBBS for a quote.)
-Just need something else to build. -
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

http://1000oaksbarrel.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cant beat the quality
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Deerhunter wrote:http://1000oaksbarrel.com/

Cant beat the quality
Well you can if you go with a Gibbs barrel. The folk at Gibbs Make real barrels, none of those fru fru toy barrel kits like you see on the 1000 oaks site. Sure the Gibbs website is primitive and you can't place an order from it( hell they are coopers not web developers :D ) Call them and talk to a real human, Great service and great barrels!

My last order of 5 gal custom char barrels came out to around 180$ each shipped

OVZ