My Aging Honeyshine

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DoubleJ
Bootlegger

My Aging Honeyshine

Post by DoubleJ »

Hi gang,

Back in April, I ran off a couple batches of honeyshine - 2 stripping runs and 1 spirit run. If I remember correctly I pulled off 4 liters (8 x 500ml jars) of shine. From that I kept the middle 4 jars as my hearts. I then took those 4 jars and cut it back to about 55% and filled 2 one gallon growlers. Other than that first night when I made the spirit and the boys and I had a couple shots each, I didn't really do anything with them until 4 weeks ago.

I got myself some white oak, and with some of the advice I found here on the forum, I made some oak aging sticks. I milled up about 30 pieces 3/4" x 3/4" x 6" long and then took my torch and charred them. I would say they were in the light to medium range. I took 3 of the sticks and dropped them into one of the one gallon growlers (which was still full). Of the other one gallon I had, there was only about 1/3 of a gallon left. I took that and poured it into a half gallon mason jar and added one stick.

So here's what they look like today, exactly 4 weeks later.

I haven't tasted either yet, but the gallon jug had a fairly smooth smell to it. The half gallon mason had more of a sting to it when sniffed.
The colouration was a bit of a surprise as well for both. The gallon seems rather dark, almost too dark. And the half gallon looks waaaayyyyy to light for a whisky. It has more of a scotch colour to it.

So.... what to do now?? I know drinking it is an option, but have I aged it enough? I recall drinking a bit of it on our August long weekend. I drank it white, I think mixed with soda water or 7 Up (Sprite). It wasn't a bad drink, but I do recall a bit of a dry/chalky after-taste to it.

All help is appreciated as usual.

Thanks
JJ
Seek to understand...
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My Aging Honeyshine

Post by Boda Getta »

Could be the glass; I use two different types of clear gallon jugs. I was noticing today while moving whiskey around that the exact same whiskey in the two jugs and one appeared a fair bit darker than the other exact whiskey taken out of the same keg the same day. I assume its something about the different glass far too scientific for me to understand.

BG