Orion 3 star pH meter any good?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FuelMaker
Swill Maker

Orion 3 star pH meter any good?

Post by FuelMaker »

I've got an opportunity to get an used Orion 3 star pH meter w/ the temperature and pH probes for $10 from a friend of a friend who used to brew beer but isnt doing it any more and is dumping his equipment. He himself got the meter used from ebay, it's in real good shape - it's got the manual and case but I'd need new calibration fluids.

From my googling it looks like this is a (now discontinued) high dollar lab quality meter but I can't find many opinions about it and no opinions at all about how well it works with brewing. The friend of a friend says he's used it a couple of times but otherwise hasnt monitored the pH of his beer making.

I'm pretty sure by now the pH probe is toast and will need to be replaced, from what I understand since it's a BNC connector any BNC probe can be used with it.

Up until now I've been using one of those pH dip "pens" and I hate the damn thing, I need something with a probe that I can put in the mash and leave it in to continuously monitor it.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Bluelab combo meter but this fell in my lap and I'm wondering if I should just get the used Orion meter.

Thanks!
"A little bit of oops goes a long way."
MDH
Distiller

Re: Orion 3 star pH meter any good?

Post by MDH »

$10 doesn't sound like much of a risk. I recommend more frequent calibration with used pH meters.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.