Nylon bags

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Nylon bags

Post by Rain Distillate »

Has anyone ever lined their fermentation buckets with a nylon bag? So that you could just lift out the solids after fermentation? Would the nylon give off flavors? Just a thought.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Nylon bags

Post by StillerBoy »

It's an interesting thought.. use the nylon bags on grain mash to strain the grains.. never thought of looking for one that would fit in a large fermenter and be kept in the fermenter during the fermentation run.. it would save time, and be less messy.. just wondering if bigger one than the 5 gal are available, and what their cost would be.. never researched it, but now you have perked my interest..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

When I make raspberry liqueur I put the berries in the bags to tincture the vodka, no off flavors and it saves a lot of straining.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I got two bags for 55 gal barrels and I am pleased with them so far. I plan on cooking AG's with steam and fermenting on the grain. You will need a pulley rig to lift it, but not that bad if I siphon off the easy top wash and then lift.
Got mine here: http://www.bagbrewer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Nice fellow to deal with but they are available at most brew shops.

AC
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 92&t=62490

been doing it for about 6 months... works great! I now have a bag to hold over 100#
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Morrey
Novice

Post by Morrey »

Yes, in beer brewing it's called Brew In A Bag or BIAB. Very effective way to lauter grains from the wort and leave you with a clean wash. I use this technique often, and the bags that you may need are available readily. I line my mash kettle and remove the grains and bag after mashing with a pulley before racking into my fermenter and pitching yeast.

If you need the email of my source for custom sized bags, its http://www.wilserbrewer.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. He will make the bag custom sized to fit your needs.