Super Sonic Moonshine Machine

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

contrahead
Trainee

Super Sonic Moonshine Machine

Post by contrahead »

SSMMachine.jpg
No; I don't watch “Moonshiners” and as a mater of fact I seldom watch any TV. I was however flipping through channels the other day and landed briefly on the Moonshiners show. My attention was momentarily attracted by some experimental electronic device these guys were attempting to age Tim's unsold legal white spirit with. The show in question was probably near [season 6, episode 9]. I have a link to this subject but I can not view it at the moment for some reason.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/moons ... e-machine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

There are several ways to excite or agitate water molecules and probably ethanol molecules as well. Heating a water molecule will make it vibrate while subjecting bi-polar water molecules to microwaves will make them flip back and forth – creating friction and heat. Running electrical current through water and ethanol molecules must excite those molecules somehow as does ultrasound if it causes cavitation.

From the video the oak chips poured into the drum, float at first but sink overnight, right? If DC current was being used then the four wooden legs on the underneath side of the lid could have held internal copper electrodes.

Does anyone care to speculate on what might be powering this “Super Sonic moonshine machine”?
Omnia mea mecum porto
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Super Sonic Moonshine Machine

Post by BayouShine »

contrahead wrote:Does anyone care to speculate on what might be powering this “Super Sonic moonshine machine”?
Bullshit...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

BayouShine wrote:
contrahead wrote:Does anyone care to speculate on what might be powering this “Super Sonic moonshine machine”?
Bullshit...
Yep .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

BayouShine wrote:
Bullshit...
+1. It's made for TV...& Superman can fly on TV.

Incidently, I happened upon that episode too...I laughed when Tim said he had a way to age his whiskey (he calls it "moonshine") in 24 hours. I'm thinking, "yea right, you figured out how to manipulate the clock...or calendar?". If so, forget about moonshine...there's a fortune awaiting in nurseries and nursing homes.

Oh, to be 21 again!
ss
Last edited by still_stirrin on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

I just come unglued :lol:
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Maybe Odin or Bushman will weigh in. I believe they have both experimented with supersonic aging.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

The only interesting episode of that show ever was when he visited Dublin. Not that im biased or anything. :lol:
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I watched both episodes that had the two guys with the magic aging machine and I don't think they have much of a clue about aging... Looked more like they wanted to get on the show and perhaps line their pockets...

My guess is that Tim's stockpile of white liquor is being turned into the flavored spirits that are advertised during the commercial breaks... Lets him unload the inventory and he would just pay small royalties to consenting show members whose likeness appear on the jar labels...
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

does anyone remember How the flux capacitor works? hmmmm? :D
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

bronctoad wrote:does anyone remember How the flux capacitor works? hmmmm? :D
Mine is powered by dilithium crystals a scrapped from an old warp core. Makes a fine saurian brandy overnight.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

I hope you didn't get the ones Scotty left there :shock: I'm pretty sure he cracked em all :lol:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Haha! Too funny, indeed. "Low volt current" to me means that they warm up the white dog with some barrel staves and oak chips present. The warmth will speed up the oaking process a bit and it will age the tails out a bit sooner, but without cavitation, higher temps (60 to 65 C) it aint doing much. Expecially in 24 hours, the results will be ... well, that it adds some color.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Odin wrote:Haha! Too funny, indeed. "Low volt current" to me means that they warm up the white dog with some barrel staves and oak chips present. The warmth will speed up the oaking process a bit and it will age the tails out a bit sooner, but without cavitation, higher temps (60 to 65 C) it aint doing much. Expecially in 24 hours, the results will be ... well, that it adds some color.

Regards, Odin.
+100%
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If memory serves me correctly, what little theory they described had more to do with electricity flowing through the spirits, aligning the molecules, or some such rubbish... Might have also had the anodes embedded in the oak "staves"... I dunno, seems like if a little oak made it taste woody in 24 hours, more oak would make it taste more woody in 48 hours... Yes, the process took a total of 48 hours, not the 24 hours initially intended... All balderdash IMHO... :crazy:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I built it. If you want the plans I'll mail them to you yesterday, if you ask me tomorrow
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

shadylane wrote:
I built it. If you want the plans I'll mail them to you yesterday, if you ask me tomorrow
:lol: :lol: :lol: send me some too.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

LWTCS wrote:
Odin wrote:Haha! Too funny, indeed. "Low volt current" to me means that they warm up the white dog with some barrel staves and oak chips present. The warmth will speed up the oaking process a bit and it will age the tails out a bit sooner, but without cavitation, higher temps (60 to 65 C) it aint doing much. Expecially in 24 hours, the results will be ... well, that it adds some color.

Regards, Odin.
+100%
Make that 200%
What is "Low volt current" :?:
On a side note, Shine is a very poor conductor of electricy
It would take very high voltage, to get it to conduct very much current.
And then the current would probably break the water in the shine, into hydrogen and oxygen.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Lyonsie wrote:
shadylane wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: send me some too.
I have some extra plutonium I can share. PM me.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

skow69 wrote:I have some extra plutonium I can share. PM me.
Plutonium is heavy and too inefficient :oops:
I prefer using shmoo for the 24 hour, secret ingredient

On a side note
Sorry for the off topic post :oops:
But we are discussing a "Super Sonic Moonshine Machine" used on “Moonshiners” :lol:
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

"super sonic" or "sub sonic" with all the reading I've done on this site alone (granted probly less than 25%) :oops: Its clear to me that the best way to achieve a two year old whiskey is put it in a badmo :roll: upstair in the loft and let the sun go by twice :wink:

time 8) will tell :D
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

like we needed another f...ing moonshiners thread
rad14701 wrote:If memory serves me correctly, what little theory they described had more to do with electricity flowing through the spirits, aligning the molecules, or some such rubbish... Might have also had the anodes embedded in the oak "staves"... I dunno, seems like if a little oak made it taste woody in 24 hours, more oak would make it taste more woody in 48 hours... Yes, the process took a total of 48 hours, not the 24 hours initially intended... All balderdash IMHO... :crazy:
if there were a cathode and an anode with a DC current in their product

that would leave ions of the anode in the electrolyte.(product) sounds yummy. :crazy: :crazy:
be water my friend
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

I really liked the steel barrel with the epoxy lining...

Happy stillin

FS

Keep on Nukin
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

cob wrote:like we needed another f...ing moonshiners thread
rad14701 wrote:If memory serves me correctly, what little theory they described had more to do with electricity flowing through the spirits, aligning the molecules, or some such rubbish... Might have also had the anodes embedded in the oak "staves"... I dunno, seems like if a little oak made it taste woody in 24 hours, more oak would make it taste more woody in 48 hours... Yes, the process took a total of 48 hours, not the 24 hours initially intended... All balderdash IMHO... :crazy:
if there were a cathode and an anode with a DC current in their product

that would leave ions of the anode in the electrolyte.(product) sounds yummy. :crazy: :crazy:
With a little luck, maybe it will act like a HHO generator and blow their ass up.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

rad14701 wrote:I watched both episodes that had the two guys with the magic aging machine and I don't think they have much of a clue about aging... Looked more like they wanted to get on the show and perhaps line their pockets...

My guess is that Tim's stockpile of white liquor is being turned into the flavored spirits that are advertised during the commercial breaks... Lets him unload the inventory and he would just pay small royalties to consenting show members whose likeness appear on the jar labels...

He would also have to sell to Sugarland at a discount so they could put faces on the label that are familiar to the masses. :)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

So the episode probably inspires "moonshiners" throughout the hills to think they can age their liquor overnight in the "magic" barrel by plugging in a car battery and throwing a few sticks in the drum. It would seem to add color and help reduce the heads as it warmed up...nothing new there really. But if they would make conservative cuts, perhaps there wouldn't be as many heads to contend with.

As we've discussed here many times, you can add color and reduce the volatiles by rapid thermal cycling (in the microwave). But age is AGE. There is no way to add "age" to a whisky besides....time.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

This might be the longest this show has even been discussed... :mrgreen:

Well... I see on Tim Smith's website he is selling some kind of cinnamon moonshine called Climax Fire No 32 which I never saw before...Hmmmmm...
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

I know some have tried with ultrasonic sound, but I have my doubts about this contraption in an old barrel.
Letting an electric current flow through spirits, ain't gonna do much...the few wood staves may add a little color ...that's all.
Seems to me some people do everything to get on TV, even if they have to make a complete fool out of themselves.
Ultrasonic waves are different and that may actually work with the alcohol and wood molecules.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Danespirit wrote:...Ultrasonic waves are different and that may actually work with the alcohol and wood molecules.
+1

Agitation and alignment. It's all about agitation and alignment...at aleast in my home, especially when it involves alcohol and wood molecules. My SoH tries to get me agitated so I'll come into alignment with her preference/command.
ss
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

A friend of mine is a liquor rep for one of the big distributors/brokers in my area. Tim Smith's products are in their portfolio. He let me try some of the new oaked shine and some of the hot cinnamon stuff. The cinnamon one was actually pretty good. It's clear. If you are comparing it to something like fireball, it's much better in my opinion as it isn't as syrupy and sweet. It'll have a tough time competing head to head though, because if I remember correctly it was between $25 and $30 per bottle. The oaked moonshine wasn't half bad, but it also wasn't exceptional either. It's thin mouthfeel sugar shine with a little color and a little oakiness. It didn't make me gag, but didn't wow me either.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
jdetechguy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jdetechguy »

I think I will stick to my own stuff and leave Tim's electric shine behind.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk