Needing a filler cap

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Needing a filler cap

Post by Pikey »

My pot is an old tea urn and has a tap on it as they do.

What I want to do is to put a filler mechanism on the top, so I can run out the old backset and fill it up again, without the clat of taking it all to bits and re-doing all the pastry joints and clamp.

One of this type would be ideal methinks, but bolting it on with 3 bolts and a ptfe type gasket ? is that the way to go ? and I wonder if it would be gas- tight ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... SwZQRYbKIp
rad14701
retired

Re: Needing a filler cap

Post by rad14701 »

You really don't want a rubber/synthetic seal unless it's PTFE...
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

rad14701 wrote:You really don't want a rubber/synthetic seal unless it's PTFE...

Quite so ...
Pikey wrote:
.............. 3 bolts and a ptfe type gasket ?.................
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Pikey wrote:.............. 3 bolts and a ptfe type gasket ?.................
Not seeing that in the ad... I'm talking about the seal that keeps the filler leak-proof... That black, obviously not PTFE, seal ring...
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Quite so rad, - point is I'd already made that mental leap and replaced the ones supplied with PTFE - I'd already mentally cut off the extraneous spigot too, which is meant to connect to a rubber hose, to fill the tank. Three stainless bolts, heads on the inside - not ideal, but if it I can make it gas tight - ok.

I'm just thinking there may be a better fitting to do the job more elegantly, but that's the best I have found so far.

The good point about this fitting is that I can use a dip stick to find my "max fill" whereas I was thinking I'd have to do an external "sight glass" tube with a smaller valved inlet. Not easy to do without risking damage when I'm cleaning.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Members have posted many different types of fill ports over the years... Even a SS threaded nipple and end cap would work with a wrap or two of PTFE tape... Some members even use sanitary fittings and a tri-clamp... Lots of options...
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Perhaps a stainless ball valve might be a better option ? - This one looks as though it will come apart such that it woud be all I need to clamp it through a suitable hole. and it supposedly is stainless and PTFE.

I'm going to buy a 1" one - I'll let you know.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STE ... wr9m3uuPcg
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Pikey wrote:Perhaps a stainless ball valve might be a better option ? - This one looks as though it will come apart such that it woud be all I need to clamp it through a suitable hole. and it supposedly is stainless and PTFE.

I'm going to buy a 1" one - I'll let you know.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STE ... wr9m3uuPcg
A much better option...!!! :thumbup:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Well it arrived on wednesday - sadly it was only 3/4 - so I messaged the guy and the replacement arrived today. A fine chunky piece of kit with a solid action. The piece which unscrews it an integral part of the pressure mechanism on the ball, so I will have to use a tank connector, but I'm convinced it will do the job fine. I may end up using the 3/4 on the tea urn and save the 1" for the new build.