over the side tank heater

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

over the side tank heater

Post by jb-texshine »

Any ideas for a way to heat water to boiling IN a hdpe 55 gallon barrel? I found " tempco precision tank heater at40007 at grainger.com thatll go to 250 degrees f. 120v 695$
Can similar be bought or built cheaper?
Was thinking to use it to heat or even boil water for mash in the barrel then remove heater and add grain.

Looking for cheaper than 600!

Thoughts or suggestions???
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
crazy
Novice

Re: over the side tank heater

Post by crazy »

I use steam , if you already have a still , then you have got a steam boiler , a little plumbing and your all set ! I use a plastic 55 gallon drum to do all my AG mashing in with steam , been doing it for years & never had a problem . Hope this gives you a cheaper idea than the heater .
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

+1 been working for me also :thumbup:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Ma Flodder
Novice

Post by Ma Flodder »

A lot of HDPE barrels will soften around 80C/176F so that doesn't seem a good idea... I always try to keep temperatures in HDPE under 60C/140F if possible. Polypropylene is a better choice, it can often withstand 160C/320F.

My advice: don't do it. Not even with polypropylene. Use metal.

Ma.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

15g keg and same for thump so part way there anyway.
Been doing sugarheads for two years and gonna move along to thinmashes with enzymes for a while until i get starch conversion down and then wean myself off the sugar slowly to get used to the process. The sneak up on it method,lol!
Guess i was thinking outside the box for an east way(lazy bastard) to heat water without having to transfer(lift-bad back)to the fermenter repeatedly. Guess i overthunk and ended up in left field. Not the first time.
On the steamer, I know they make larger diameter csst than is used for condensers(5/8" or 3/4"). Would that be ok to go from the boiler to the...(steam wand?)copper pipe with manifold?
Jbt

Deo Vendice

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Answered my own question about the csst with site google and discovered theres a entire subforum here dedicated to steam.... :oops: Dont know how ive missed it :oops:
Jbt

Deo Vendice

ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Some Brewers use heat sticks, but they're usually only around 1500W or so. Would take a long time to heat up 30 gallons of water!

That being said, steam is great! Just be safe..

SR
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Ma Flodder wrote:A lot of HDPE barrels will soften around 80C/176F so that doesn't seem a good idea... I always try to keep temperatures in HDPE under 60C/140F if possible. Polypropylene is a better choice, it can often withstand 160C/320F.

My advice: don't do it. Not even with polypropylene. Use metal.

Ma.
Incorrect. HDPE 2 is food safe for long periods up to 230 degrees. LDPE is food safe to only 176 degrees.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

JB you could to make a heat stick.. instead of 1500 watt element, use a 4500 or 5500 watt, with the appropriate wire size, such as some heavy duty #10 gauge flexible cable or HD #12 if the distance is not more than 15' or so from the plug in.. should do the trick.. google heat stick, there are many different ways to built...

I just may try to put one together for mashing with, have lots of spare elements..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Here's how I do it. Fill the boiler up with a hose, when it is boiling, open the drain and add 1/3 of my corn. Repeat twice. Easy enough. 50 gallons of corn and water cooking in 3 hours. Wait till mash temps, stir in malt. :thumbup:
img20160917_105910.jpg
Sorry JBT, I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I was hoping it would still be helpful to see. :oops:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I like it. Its simple. Im running propane though. Guess i could invest in a 15 gallon ss barrel and make it. 240v and wouldnt need a controller just run wide open. Probably not ,but would a carbon steel barrel with the enamel lining be acceptable for this as its only heating water?
Jb

Deo Vendice

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I don't know about carbon steel. But you get you a keg, and if you are willing to put a 240v element into it, you're just a controller away from being electric. Sure, you always have gas, but it's nice to run inside anytime if you got electric.

If you build the rest, I'll make a controller for you :thumbup: Together we spend less than $100, and you have a full blown electric still, with a stupid easy way to cook corn and do all grain. I ain't ever needed to 'cook' corn. Always got full starch extraction from boiling water and corn meal.

I wonder why you can't make a stand tall enough for your burner, though? You could use a diffuser to protect the barrel, or even back it up a ways and run a hose from the drain to the barrel when you are opening the drain.

More than one way, anyways.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Ma Flodder
Novice

Post by Ma Flodder »

ShineRunner wrote:
Ma Flodder wrote:A lot of HDPE barrels will soften around 80C/176F so that doesn't seem a good idea... I always try to keep temperatures in HDPE under 60C/140F if possible.
Incorrect. HDPE 2 is food safe for long periods up to 230 degrees. LDPE is food safe to only 176 degrees.
Most types of HDPE aren't, and you can't know... And it's not much use being food safe if it is melting :thumbdown:

http://www.stug.com.au/materials/engine ... atures.php - 80C/176F.

http://piping-designer.com/index.php/di ... lyethylene (Q20)

Ma.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:I don't know about carbon steel. But you get you a keg, and if you are willing to put a 240v element into it, you're just a controller away from being electric. Sure, you always have gas, but it's nice to run inside anytime if you got electric.

If you build the rest, I'll make a controller for you :thumbup: Together we spend less than $100, and you have a full blown electric still, with a stupid easy way to cook corn and do all grain. I ain't ever needed to 'cook' corn. Always got full starch extraction from boiling water and corn meal.

I wonder why you can't make a stand tall enough for your burner, though? You could use a diffuser to protect the barrel, or even back it up a ways and run a hose from the drain to the barrel when you are opening the drain.

More than one way, anyways.

So what I think I've settled on is to use one keg(thump keg) to make into an electric boiler and leave the one I've been using as my boiler alone giving me the ability to run gas or electric just by swapping the two around. Just makes sense that way. Then also making a steam wand attachment for the gas boiler to try steam mashing also. For now I will use the electric
Without a controller as I'm just gonna use it for boiling water. Think I'll go the rout of a tc mount for the element so I can easily pull the element and cap it off to use that keg as my thumper without worrying about the thump post clearance issues.
Thank you for the offer to build me a controller though,and I may take you up on it eventually.
Jbt

Deo Vendice