New grain Mill

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

New grain Mill

Post by frunobulax »

A buddy and I just dropped a nut for a new grain mill. It's a monster mill 3 pro, which has 3- 2 inch rollers. The hopper was on the old, small monster mill and bolted right up.
We also got the All American Ale Works direct drive 180 RPM gear motor. The combination is awesome. It splits all the grain without shredding all the husks and leaves very little flour.
Can't wait to run a bunch of grain through it. We're gonna make 40 gallons of something tomorrow.
Attachments
Mill.jpg
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New grain Mill

Post by Still Life »

Decent!
Nice addition.
Better'n the one at the grain shop I buy from.
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Awesome rig. Are you going to put corn through it? I had heard that the 3 can't adjust wide enough for corn. Perhaps if it's pre-cracked?

SR
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

What grain do you use?
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

It's just for making beer / Whiskey washes. We just mill malted barley, wheat, Rye etc.
For corn mashes, we use corn meal. Cheap and easy.
Fills Jars Slowly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fills Jars Slowly »

You will love that mill and it is likely the last one you will buy. I finally went with the Monster Mill after being frustrated by some cheaper ones. It is a classic case of buy once, cry once. I also buy corn meal in lieu of milling it myself. :clap: :thumbup:
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Hey frunobulax, she looks great!

Where did you get the direct drive linkage? This project has stalled a little on me and I was looking to get it together sometime over the summer. Was thinking belt/pulley but if the price is right.... :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Enough with the obvious questions. What breed of dog do you have there (in the background) ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

greggn wrote:Enough with the obvious questions. What breed of dog do you have there (in the background) ?
I think it's clear it's a Grainhound.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

rgreen2002 wrote:
Where did you get the direct drive linkage? This project has stalled a little on me and I was looking to get it together sometime over the summer. Was thinking belt/pulley but if the price is right.... :mrgreen:
They are Love Joy couplings, All American Aleworks, where I got the motor, sells them for his units. The mill has a 1/2'' shaft and the motor is about 3/4" I believe ya can get them at
Mcmaster and Carr. The motor was a little pricey, but we didn't want to dick around with pulleys etc. The whole project took 4-5 hours including building the box and drinking beer.
Still Life wrote:
greggn wrote:Enough with the obvious questions. What breed of dog do you have there (in the background) ?
I think it's clear it's a Grainhound.
LOL
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have the monster mill 2 and love it. You have the extra height on the hopper I think you are going to like.