Adding backset to finished product

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Adding backset to finished product

Post by Hilltop »

Admin I was not sure where to put this post, if it's in the wrong forum please move.

I must be the only one that's adding backset to the finished product, as after much reading here I don't see anyone else mentioning it. Each quart jar gets two tablespoons of backset. It is then aired out for 24 hours, then it's capped put in fridge for 48 hours, then it's opened back up and placed in the room temp air for twenty four hours, then it's refrigerated 48 hrs and the cycle is repeated for a total of 4 cycles. Then each jar is strained through cheesecloth. That's how we were taught to make sour mash into a fine drinking whisky quickly. No dang oak chips needed, the backset gives it a little color and can be adjusted to suite. I like 4 spoons myself.

:thumbup:
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Adding backset to finished product

Post by WIski »

HT,

There was a member here that I believe was a Craft Distiller that introduced the concept of adding backset to the finished product. The first that I saw anyway. His user name was Woodshed and he brought many insightful concepts to the group. I don't recall what thread he spoke of this but if I find it I will post a link. :eugeek:

BTW-I have never tried this but the thought sounds interesting.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

WIski wrote:HT,

There was a member here that I believe was a Craft Distiller that introduced the concept of adding backset to the finished product. The first that I saw anyway. His user name was Woodshed and he brought many insightful concepts to the group. I don't recall what thread he spoke of this but if I find it I will post a link. :eugeek:

BTW-I have never tried this but the thought sounds interesting.
That's the way we were taught how to do it from those who were before us in South Mississippi. It's always been done that way here Wiski. In the woods in the spring before refrigeration.

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I'll have to give it a try Hilltop, on a jar from my next Bourbon run. I love the smell of that backset when it's fresh.

If you don't use the backset right away, do you leave it out, chill it, or freeze? It could be two weeks from my first strip to my spirit run.

I recently froze half my backset and kept the other half in jars for two weeks. After thawing the frozen half, I liked the smell and taste of the frozen batch over the half left out. I've read some who like old backseat better. Just curious how you were taught.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I think Buckaneer Bob's Rum recipes use backset and for some odd reason, I used it (300ml in 5L) in my last (and best) "EasyScotch" - at least according to the notes I made on the demijohn at the time. I am about to age another lot and had been thinking about leaving it out. After your input I shall keep it in !
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Here's maybe the short discussion on Woodshed's backset.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

OtisT wrote:I'll have to give it a try Hilltop, on a jar from my next Bourbon run. I love the smell of that backset when it's fresh.

If you don't use the backset right away, do you leave it out, chill it, or freeze? It could be two weeks from my first strip to my spirit run.

I recently froze half my backset and kept the other half in jars for two weeks. After thawing the frozen half, I liked the smell and taste of the frozen batch over the half left out. I've read some who like old backseat better. Just curious how you were taught.
It only takes a jar full to do alot so I always put it in the fridge. I sure wouldn't leave the backset out long, that stuff will get rank quick!

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

OtisT wrote:I'll have to give it a try Hilltop, on a jar from my next Bourbon run. I love the smell of that backset when it's fresh.

Otis on my new batch I upped the backset to 8 tablespoons. I took double distilled corn whisky "that was topped off with box of all bran cereal" which is something I learned from here " thanks Rad" which came out of the pot still at 160 proof and cut that jar to 60% I then add 40 percent carbon filtered artesian spring water from out back and 8 tablespoons backset.

I first let the shine air out opened for 24 hours,i then added backset and started my cycle of in the cabinet first for 24 hours then in the fridge 24 hours. On the 3rd day this is some smooth fine sippin whisky.

My shine is made from spring water which is two hundred yards down hill, that I pump up the hill with a 1/2 horsepower sprinkler pump to a 400 gallon food grade tote tank. I then attached a shallow well water pump with pressure tank to the tote and have 40 psi artesian spring water. " It all taste the same, the difference is the water, and I fully believe that statement."

That's my hobby still.

This batch with 8 tablespoons of backset, that really is more like two big sloshes from the quart mason jar of backset is fine, man that's one good whisky, no oak chip needed.

Now you may want your liquer mix stronger or weaker experiment there. But I think you will like it with 8 tablespoons guess. This was made in heart cut whisky " not blended"

I love it and figure now our old method was weak on the backset, all future batches will include more backset.

Note this " the backset will give your shine a cloudy slightly gold color, this may not be well percieved by folks who are used to full strength clear shine." Made with hearts cut shine it's slightly dry, I have a feeling made with the blended shine it will be much better, blending is something ive never fooled with as we always drank the headache free hearts.

Let me know how your experiment goes OtisT.

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

8 tbls into how much finished product?
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

jon1163 wrote:8 tbls into how much finished product?
Jon, Honestly I don't remember, that stuff was so good with the backset I got really drunk! I do remember too much made my belly hurt. 2 Tablespoons should give you the flavor. It does make the spirit cloudy so I only do it for my sipping whisky now. Watch out as it will produce legendary type drunkeness, They still talking about what all I did but I remember nothing. 8)

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi. Hilltop is talkin quart jars.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Thank you
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

OtisT wrote:
Hi. Hilltop is talkin quart jars.
Yeah quart jars, one would have to buy a whole bunch of them little pint jars. Do people really put whisky in those? I'll be back on it in October, I'm building a pot still for an RV thats a 7.75 gallon rubberized keg. Got some size and height issues in a small kitchen like an RV. One foot 2 inch column is about all one has room for.

I've cut the rubber back off the bottom and took the bottom ring off the stand to fit it over my burner. Anyway I can talk all day I got work to do. Later!

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Also,keep in kind I was adding it and trying it right then. I found once it sat awhile in a cabinet " say a few weeks ," the spirit backset flavor became stronger. Stick with two to four Tablespoons.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i was at a likker store tasting yesterday and the rep had some small batch poteen from a craft distiller in Ireland. (missed the name sorry)
i swear it had backset in it. either that or the still puked and they used that for their introduction to international markets.
supposed to be the first of its kind here rumoured to be made with barley and sugar beets. it tasted like shine but with that certain je nes sais pas. almost a hint of vinegar?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

HDNB wrote:i was at a likker store tasting yesterday and the rep had some small batch poteen from a craft distiller in Ireland. (missed the name sorry)
i swear it had backset in it. either that or the still puked and they used that for their introduction to international markets.
supposed to be the first of its kind here rumoured to be made with barley and sugar beets. it tasted like shine but with that certain je nes sais pas. almost a hint of vinegar?
A certain bacteria gives that vinegar hint. Sugar Beets and Barley, sounds interesting. Your probably right it had backset in it. This ain't nothing new in my neck of the woods sounds like it isn't in the Irish woods either

wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

HDNB wrote:i was at a likker store tasting yesterday and the rep had some small batch poteen from a craft distiller in Ireland. (missed the name sorry)
I have a bottle of Glendalough "Mountain Strength" 55% abv poitin my tattoo artist brought back from ireland for me. Its peat smoked barley and sugar beets. And its damn good. Nice hint of smoke and a creamy smooth mouth feel.

I grew sugar beets once to try and duplicate it. Alot of work to try to ferment them and they smelled like ass when finished. I did something horribly wrong.

Sorry. Back on topic now. :lol: