The best storage devices for aging spirits?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TnSmokey
Novice

The best storage devices for aging spirits?

Post by TnSmokey »

I have been using Heavy Charred Oak to flavor some of product in large glass containers. It does seem to work well, and I'm looking for options on larger containers to do this in. I have not be able to obtain a barrel, and I know that would be best. In the meantime does anyone have any other suggestions for a large volume? (5 gallons and up)
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: The best storage devices for aging spirits?

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Beer kegs or Corney kegs, both stainless, not fragile.
If you can't do a barrel.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Beer kegs or Corney kegs, both stainless, not fragile.
If you can't do a barrel.
What he said . Glass carboy as a last resort because they are so fragile .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

A stainless steel milk can..?
Large volume and easy to put a lid on (from a stock pot will do).
Wine balloons (not sure if it's the right term) are also great, I have a few of them (see picture below).
gamle-vinballoner-1411567907.JPG
badbird
Swill Maker

Post by badbird »

Keep an eye out for the older reusable pressurised water fire extinguishers. Under the paint is a good stainless steel storage container and they can often be acquired for next to nothing.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Fusti cans are another stainless option.

In my area beer kegs are by far the cheapest cost per gallon though. Pretty much always a used 15.5g keg available for <$50 on CL, letgo, facebook etc. I know they are less available in other places.

I use corny kegs usually myself. Not as cheap per gal, but more manageable batch size. Replace the orings, or wrap them in teflon if you use corny kegs though.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

zapata wrote:Fusti cans are another stainless option.

In my area beer kegs are by far the cheapest cost per gallon though. Pretty much always a used 15.5g keg available for <$50 on CL, letgo, facebook etc. I know they are less available in other places.

I use corny kegs usually myself. Not as cheap per gal, but more manageable batch size. Replace the orings, or wrap them in teflon if you use corny kegs though.
Wish beer kegs were that plentiful around here. I was on the hunt for one for a good year and a half locally. Found 3-4 over that period but all were 180+. I started flying back and forth to the west coast for work and picked one up for $25. Sure got some looks from the airport staff as they ran that beer keg through the X-ray machines lol
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

If carnoys are used set them in a bucket or milk crate. My 3 gallon fit in a 5 gallon bucket and the 6 fits in a milk crate. Makes moven them eazy
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jedneck wrote:If carnoys are used set them in a bucket or milk crate. My 3 gallon fit in a 5 gallon bucket and the 6 fits in a milk crate. Makes moven them eazy
That's gospel , right there . Your carboys will live much longer lives .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

every time I see posts about storing spirits in carboys it reminds me of rubberduck losing his

carboys of his best product to an earthquake all glass is fragile and stainless is not.

there are several threads about storage, here is one. finding the rest is up to you.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... e#p7447496
be water my friend
MontanaMule
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MontanaMule »

Antler24 wrote: I started flying back and forth to the west coast for work and picked one up for $25. Sure got some looks from the airport staff as they ran that beer keg through the X-ray machines lol
That's great! :lol: :thumbup:
The man bangin' on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms!"....I just assumed it was more supplies.

HD GOOGLE SEARCH A distillers BEST friend besides yeast!