When Irish eyes are Smiling

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

When Irish eyes are Smiling

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I just got a package from Jimy Dee.
IMG_0749.JPG
It's Irish turf from Ireland. Jimy and I have kind of become pen (email) pals.
We've been talking barley malt, thumpers and more. He reached out to me threw HD. He's wanting to make a white barley whiskey. And one of my goals is to make a peated malt barley. I was jealous that he had so much turf so near his house and I have none out here in California. So he was kind enough to send me a few sticks. Jimy your the man! Thank you. It's kind of strange that a gift of dirt can so excite me. But maybe not here at HD. I've been researching how to build a cold smoker to smoke some malted barley. Now I have to build it. But for now a big thank you to my mate Jimy Dee. :clap:
JBC
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: When Irish eyes are Smiling

Post by HDNB »

Those Irish are pretty cool guys. I too was the lucky recipient of some official oakey-dokey fine Irish peat from an equally generous soul on the emerald isle.
I haven't had a chance to smoke with any yet...the thing that amazes most about this package was that it wasn't opened by customs, but i'll bet a dog or two had a good long sniff at it... the package on the border i'm thinking anyone who looked at it's first thought was drugs.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

HDNB wrote:Those Irish are pretty cool guys. I too was the lucky recipient of some official oakey-dokey fine Irish peat from an equally generous soul on the emerald isle.
I haven't had a chance to smoke with any yet...the thing that amazes most about this package was that it wasn't opened by customs, but i'll bet a dog or two had a good long sniff at it... the package on the border i'm thinking anyone who looked at it's first thought was drugs.
Boy your not kidding. The way Jimy packaged the turf it looks like it could be a kilo of something unlawful.
Haha
IMG_0750.JPG
I think if I do it right I can get a good phenol level on 4 to 5 lbs of malt.
JBC
JBC
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Check out Masterbuilt's Cold Smoker attachment for their smokers. It would without their smokers. You would have to cobble together some sort of box with screen racks. I have one and it works great. $50-60 bucks.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

JC - thrilled you got it. Glad it passed customs. It was an innocent package but definitely looked suspect. Make sure to keep us all up topdate with this experiment from start to finish. It should make for a really interesting thread. Dont slack now - we want the full process documented with pics ! Wishing you the best with the turf. Jimy
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

boda getta wrote:Check out Masterbuilt's Cold Smoker attachment for their smokers. It would without their smokers. You would have to cobble together some sort of box with screen racks. I have one and it works great. $50-60 bucks.
Well I had a plan to make a smoker, and have most of the parts to build it but... The Masterbuilt's Cold Smoker attachment looks to interesting not to investigate further. Without physically looking at it I'm having a hard time understanding how it works. Looks like an accessorie for a grill? Please can you tell me how you have set yours up? Thanks Boda

Thanks again Jimy. With all the good people here I'm sure I'll have my smoker dialed in in no time.
JBC
JBC
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Boda getta: thank you. The Masterbuilt's Cold Smoker attachment is the ticket. You just saved me some work. I just watched a video on how the cold smoker works. Building a smoke box is no problem. I'll post back here when I get it up and running.
Cheers
JBC
JBC
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:Boda getta: thank you. The Masterbuilt's Cold Smoker attachment is the ticket. You just saved me some work. I just watched a video on how the cold smoker works. Building a smoke box is no problem. I'll post back here when I get it up and running.
Cheers
JBC
Before you jump on that cold smoker attachment, have a look at the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker. Small, simple, and cheap. I've seen guys use these to smoke meat in a cardboard box, so I'm sure you can make it work!

https://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8.htm
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

JBC, I don't know if you noticed but I have a Masterbilt electric smoker on the back deck. I've been thinking about one of the cold smoker attachments for doing sausages. If you get one, let me know how you like it. Also, I think that I have some 3" flex tubing around here. We can talk about it next time you're over.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:JBC, I don't know if you noticed but I have a Masterbilt electric smoker on the back deck. I've been thinking about one of the cold smoker attachments for doing sausages. If you get one, let me know how you like it. Also, I think that I have some 3" flex tubing around here. We can talk about it next time you're over.
Thanks Redwood: I think that's next after the new thumper. I have a piece of 4" flex tubing that has been sitting in the shop for more than 10 years now. I finally have a use for it. I watched a couple of videos showing how the smoker works and it looks perfect. After reading Crankys thread on his apple grinder I'm gonna try and find an old stainless steel garbage can for the smoke chamber. I'm sure I can fashion 3 or 4 removable Shelves that I can smoke my grains on. But you know, I'm open to ideas.

Side note: not related. Redwood has some young bourbon that in a year is gonna be pretty darn nice. If he can keep his pie hole out of it :sarcasm:
JBC
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

JellybeanCorncob wrote: Side note: not related. Redwood has some young bourbon that in a year is gonna be pretty darn nice. If he can keep his pie hole out of it :sarcasm:
I 've got about 45L, maybe I can have 4L or 5L left in a year when it's ready. It's not too bad now (and that's the problem). Guess I got to make more. :D
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Antler24 wrote:
JellybeanCorncob wrote:Boda getta: thank you. The Masterbuilt's Cold Smoker attachment is the ticket. You just saved me some work. I just watched a video on how the cold smoker works. Building a smoke box is no problem. I'll post back here when I get it up and running.
Cheers
JBC
Before you jump on that cold smoker attachment, have a look at the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker. Small, simple, and cheap. I've seen guys use these to smoke meat in a cardboard box, so I'm sure you can make it work!

Would you need to grind the turf to make it fit in the smoke pan? Looks nice. The video didn't mention how hot the smoke chamber gets. I'll look into it more.
Thanks Antler
JBC
JBC
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:
Antler24 wrote:
Cheers
JBC

Would you need to grind the turf to make it fit in the smoke pan? Looks nice. The video didn't mention how hot the smoke chamber gets. I'll look into it more.
Thanks Antler
JBC
The smoke chamber doesn't get hot at all that's the beauty of the A-Maze-N smoker. No heater elements or burners building heat in the smoke chamber, just very little hest coming from the slow burning embers of the tray. It's a very popular product for guys who like to cold smoke fish.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I've used both, in fact went from the A-Maze-N unit to the Masterbuilt unit and it works much better for me. I have cold smoked cheese, lox, sausage, etc with it with good results. I have recently smoked some 2 row with hickory (ala Smoke Shine) and it turned out great. It doesn't heat up the box any more than the A-Maze-N unit but is , IMHO, easier to use with good results. Your mileage may vary.

BG
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

boda getta wrote:I've used both, in fact went from the A-Maze-N unit to the Masterbuilt unit and it works much better for me. I have cold smoked cheese, lox, sausage, etc with it with good results. I have recently smoked some 2 row with hickory (ala Smoke Shine) and it turned out great. It doesn't heat up the box any more than the A-Maze-N unit but is , IMHO, easier to use with good results. Your mileage may vary.

BG
This is all new to me. I'm not a Laphroaig fan but I do like a light peat smoke flavor, and other smoke flavors in my whiskey. I like the fact that it is electric. I can break chunks off and let it smoke. I don't mind having to fill it every so often. Also I can take a draw knife and cut chips of any type of wood for smoking.
I think maybe for me the masterbuilt cold smoker is the way to go. Now I have to see one. Home Depot and Walmart carry them near me.
JBC
JBC
Tapeman
Novice

Post by Tapeman »

JBC, if you like a little smokiness, try lightly Charing some rock Maple sticks and adding them to a batch for about a day. The flavor is fantastic. There was another thread a while back about different woods that could be used for adding flavor other than white oak.
Relating to this thread, I wonder if the peat we have here in Maine is very similar to the Irish stuff. I pick blueberries in the summer in a peat bog and have previously used some for planting cedar trees. If someone can explain the preparation process, I'll test it out. It's the same thing you buy in bales for gardening, but comes out of the bog in chunks. I'll ship some if anyone is interested.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Tapeman wrote: Relating to this thread, I wonder if the peat we have here in Maine is very similar to the Irish stuff. I pick blueberries in the summer in a peat bog and have previously used some for planting cedar trees. If someone can explain the preparation process, I'll test it out. It's the same thing you buy in bales for gardening, but comes out of the bog in chunks. I'll ship some if anyone is interested.
Tapeman: I don't have the experience to definitively answer your question about peat from Maine. I'm sure it won't have the same flavor as Scottish or Irish peat. I'm sure someone here on HD has an answer for you.
Good luck:
JBC
JBC
Tapeman
Novice

Post by Tapeman »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:
Tapeman wrote: Relating to this thread, I wonder if the peat we have here in Maine is very similar to the Irish stuff. I pick blueberries in the summer in a peat bog and have previously used some for planting cedar trees. If someone can explain the preparation process, I'll test it out. It's the same thing you buy in bales for gardening, but comes out of the bog in chunks. I'll ship some if anyone is interested.
Tapeman: I don't have the experience to definitively answer your question about peat from Maine. I'm sure it won't have the same flavor as Scottish or Irish peat. I'm sure someone here on HD has an answer for you.
Good luck:
JBC
I'll dig some out and give it a try. Was yours very dry or still kind of damp and compressed?

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Tapeman wrote:
JellybeanCorncob wrote:
Good luck:
JBC
I'll dig some out and give it a try. Was yours very dry or still kind of damp and compressed?

When I was in Ireland years ago I got stuck behind a tractor hauling a load of turf in a open trailer. I had to follow behind it for about 15 minutes. During that time I thought to myself, that's firewood, or peat. Never seen peat (turf) that's used for heat. Just then the trailer hit a bump and one piece flipped out and hit the ground. I pulled over and picked it up. Hard as wood and dry. I guess on a island where all the trees were cut down they had to get creative with fire sources or freeze. :? What Jimy sent me looks and feels the same as what I saw when I was there so many years ago.
If your talking about the spongy stuff that you get at the nursery and it can be pulled apart with your hands: I wouldn't use it. But experimenting might be fun. Try it and let us know how it works out.
Good luck to you sir.
JBC
JBC
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

JBC - I agree with what you just said. Turf (also used for smoking grains) and the powdery "peat" one gets in bags for growing plants are two significantly different things, even though the peat for growing plants is sometimes a by-product of the turf industry. Even if I knew it was a definite by-product of the turf industry I still would not use it to smoke grains - I have no scientific reasoning behind this, it is just a gut reaction.

For those who do not know, a "bog" is a habitat consisting primarily of peat, and when the bog is cut into slices it becomes "turf", each slice of turf is called a "sod" and these sods of turf are burned in the fire place for heating houses etc.
This video should make it a bit easier to understand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufwvFOXUCnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Now the method of cutting turf in the above video is largely historic at this stage as most turf cutting is done by machines now-a-days, but it gives a good idea on where turf comes from. Of course distillers used this turf to smoke their grains.

Tapeman - is what is shown in the above video similar to the bogs you have in your part of the world? If so, why not cut some and save it as follows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKxxmq1bvtE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Putting the turf in little stacks so the wind can dry the freshly cut turf is called "footing" the turf. Once properly dried, it is collected and brought home and put into a shed to stop it getting wet again. Thereafter it is burned in fire places.

Hope the above is not too off topic (forgive me JBC), but it gives a little background as to where turf comes from, and maybe distillers will have a greater appreciation of what goes into that peaty taste from whiskey.

Jimy
Tapeman
Novice

Post by Tapeman »

We have never harvested it like that, fascinating! I doubt our peat is that dense at all since it's mostly at or below the water table. I'll stop there tomorrow and have a shovel or two out for a look see. The peat you find in stores is harvested by huge vacuum machines that suck the top 1/8" or so of the surface which pulverizes the peat leaving it loose to blow into bags.
This is a very interesting thread, thanks for your patience since this is getting pretty much off topic. If i can get some chunks I'll dry them and see how they burn taking care to inhale the aroma of the smoke.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Tapeman - PM me your address and i will post a small bit of turf to you and you can then compare and contrast. You just might have the real deal there. Just in a different format. Jimy

Sent from my HUAWEI Y625-U21 using Tapatalk
Tapeman
Novice

Post by Tapeman »

Jimy Dee wrote:Tapeman - PM me your address and i will post a small bit of turf to you and you can then compare and contrast. You just might have the real deal there. Just in a different format. Jimy

Sent from my HUAWEI Y625-U21 using Tapatalk
Give me a day to dig some out. As I remember, ours being at the surface is much lighter bodied than in the video which had an almost cheese like consistency. I'll try to get down a foot or two into it and hope not to attract attention since it's part of a wildlife preserve. Also, not sure how to send a private pm.

HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

yeah that stuff from the land of Eire is hard like a brick. the peat here is all fluffy and such.

You can use the PM icon right over there>>>>> for easy PM's.... if you use "user control panel" ^^^^^ up there it is many much more steps...and you gotta get the user name precise too.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Hey Jimy, wondering about that peat, is yours a commercial product, or does anyone dig their own anymore? How easy is it to find peat, like say for a tourist who knows nothing about it? Got a friend who will be spending a couple weeks over there and she asked if I wanted anything. I started to describe peat, and her eyes glazed over a bit so I just left it at "if you smell a funny smellin' fire, see if you can buy me a couple of the dirt logs". Lol, no tellin' what she might send me!

I've been putting off doing mail order, what is pictured above looks a little more rustic than say
https://www.amazon.com/Bord-Na-Mona-Pea ... 00VM3N7HW/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

zapata wrote:Hey Jimy, wondering about that peat, is yours a commercial product, or does anyone dig their own anymore? How easy is it to find peat, like say for a tourist who knows nothing about it? Got a friend who will be spending a couple weeks over there and she asked if I wanted anything. I started to describe peat, and her eyes glazed over a bit so I just left it at "if you smell a funny smellin' fire, see if you can buy me a couple of the dirt logs". Lol, no tellin' what she might send me!

I've been putting off doing mail order, what is pictured above looks a little more rustic than say
https://www.amazon.com/Bord-Na-Mona-Pea ... 00VM3N7HW/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
what you have in the link there^^ is what you get in the shops here to use to heat your house with, what Jimmy sent looks like he dug up himself.
Both are the same product, only difference is that the one you get in the shops has been pressed and dried commercially (with no additives).
I've had some of the commercial stuff sitting here for 2 years now, just have not got my finger out to try to do a "cheaty peaty", one day i will, just not today :D
Don't be a dick
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Zapata - I will PM you as I dont want to take away any further from this thread.

In respect to JBC I am not going to hijack this tread, it is gone off track already - over and out.

Lets get back to smoking grains. I am dead keen to see how JBC gets on and what the experts have to say on it.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Late to the party here . Just wanted to interject that I just bought a MasterBuilt electric smoker and I love it . I have a Smoke Vault propane smoker that I use for cold smoking . I simply light a few charcoal briquets and put them in a cast iron pot and then cover them with the wood chips of my choice . I slide the pot lid to regulate the air flow to keep the heat down and the smoke high with no propane involved .
If I didn't already have that in place I would invest in the MasterBuilt cold smoker .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Brian Boru
Novice

Post by Brian Boru »

Jimy Dee wrote:Zapata - I will PM you as I dont want to take away any further from this thread.

In respect to JBC I am not going to hijack this tread, it is gone off track already - over and out.

Lets get back to smoking grains. I am dead keen to see how JBC gets on and what the experts have to say on it.

Great stuff, Jimmy. How much peat do you need per pound of grain to get, say, 50 phenol count per bottle of whiskey?
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Truckinbutch wrote:Late to the party here . Just wanted to interject that I just bought a MasterBuilt electric smoker and I love it . I have a Smoke Vault propane smoker that I use for cold smoking . I simply light a few charcoal briquets and put them in a cast iron pot and then cover them with the wood chips of my choice . I slide the pot lid to regulate the air flow to keep the heat down and the smoke high with no propane involved .
If I didn't already have that in place I would invest in the MasterBuilt cold smoker .
Butch: I ordered the Masterbuilt cold smoker yesterday.
IMG_0757.JPG
It should get here tomorrow.
Do you use the one you have for smoking grains? Any advice?
Thanks
JBC
JBC