Modifying a Corona/Victoria grain mill

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Modifying a Corona/Victoria grain mill

Post by greggn »

I snapped a bolt inside the auger on my first one.
I stripped the threads in the auger on my second (this afternoon).

So, while I was reminding myself how much I dislike grinding 13 lbs of corn by hand I wondered: has anyone tried grinding down the handle-end of the auger so that it can be driven directly by a 1/2" electric drill ? That is, rather than chucking the bolt you chuck the end of the auger itself. I think it could work and , while I don't have the right tools for the job, I think I can at least make a proof-of-concept model.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Modifying a Corona/Victoria grain mill

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I broke a bolt or two on mine till I bought a Grade 8 bolt and chucked it up.
Not saying you won't break a Grade 8 but I have Not yet. But I did coat the threads liberty with Anti Seize before I screwed it in.

As for grinding down the end of the mill, I think it would likely twist off, since it's some sort of weak assed cast metal.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Appalachia-Shiner wrote:did coat the threads liberty with Anti Seize before I screwed it in
Plus add a nut to lock it down.. screw the bolt to the end, then back off half a turn, and lock it in.. used my for the past 2 yrs setup as such, with no issue bolt wise.. I've also added a brass shin of .010 thickness in the shaft end to cut down on the ware.. also don't try to grind down all in one or two pass, I grind my in four passes..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Put the bolt into the corona with a jam nut on it. Thread the bolt in until it bottoms out, back it up half a turn, then hold and tighten the jam nut against the shaft.
This is what I do and when the grade 5 bolt snaps, it snaps at the nut. Loosen the nut and the broken part of the bolt comes right out.

The reason I haven't gone to a grade 8 bolt is that I'm afraid that if the bolt doesn't break the shaft will.

I don't grind too hard, preferring to do several lighter passes rather than a few real torquers, so it doesn't break that often any more.

edit: posted with StillerBoy, we are apparently on the same page!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

>As for grinding down the end of the mill, I think it would likely twist off, since it's some sort of weak assed cast metal.

> Put the bolt into the corona with a jam nut on it.

See above ... the bolt has stripped the internal threads of the auger. As is the auger is bound for the recycling bin so, absent some other fix, I'll try grinding down the end since I've nothing to lose. Meanwhile I'm looking at the Millar Mill "Pilot." Expensive but apparently it will do corn.

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

greggn wrote:I stripped the threads in the auger on my second (this afternoon).
If it was me, I would try this first.. drill out the present thread space for the next thread tap size up.. who known, it may just work out.. and apply what was presented to you here and see what happens..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

a Heli-coil would be my first try.
be water my friend
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Heli coil is a great idea.
Pretty sure mine takes a 5/16 bolt, if you drill it out and tap for 3/8 the bolt head might be too big for drill.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

as far as bolts go when I'm doing something similar, I cut the head off the bolt

and mill 3 flats on the shank about an inch long. better grip and support for

your chuck than a bolt head.
be water my friend
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Not familiar with the engineering (or any engineering much) but if you insert a shear bolt you might save yourself a lot of trouble with breakages in the main works.

Geoff
The Baker
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Put the bolt into the corona with a jam nut on it. Thread the bolt in until it bottoms out, back it up half a turn, then hold and tighten the jam nut against the shaft.
This is what I do and when the grade 5 bolt snaps, it snaps at the nut. Loosen the nut and the broken part of the bolt comes right out.

The reason I haven't gone to a grade 8 bolt is that I'm afraid that if the bolt doesn't break the shaft will.

I don't grind too hard, preferring to do several lighter passes rather than a few real torquers, so it doesn't break that often any more.

edit: posted with StillerBoy, we are apparently on the same page!
This is the best advice I've seen in one post .
I do the same and MCH's setup and procedure are very similar to mine .
Every post has added a bit of useful info .
Over drilling and rethreading the bore should work . Leave the bolt head on and chuck a socket adapter into the drill and just add the appropriate socket . That also gives you some leeway with drive alignment issues .
I've had my best success with a 1/2" 9 amp drill . $ 79 at Lowe's . First drill was 6 amp and it just couldn't stand long runs without overheating . Long run being 50# of corn on one pass .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I like the idea of retapping the hole to a bigger bolt size and cutting the head off, putting 3 flats on it.

And running a few more passes on it.

All great ideas there!!!
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

While there were several good ideas presented they all required tools that I do not own. So, with nothing more than a Dremel and a grinding wheel I put some flats on the auger and fitted a 5/8 socket onto the end. It works well enough to grind barley ... I'll test it on wheat and corn in the coming days.

While I don't expect it to become an heirloom piece that I pass on to my son it does breath new life into an otherwise throw-away part.

auger.jpg

socket.jpg

cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

if that wears out there are parts online.
be water my friend
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Glad to see you got it back in service.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Good fix if the cast iron is of good enough quality to stand the strain . If the shaft fails it may be more cost effective to buy another and save what you have for parts .
I've considered some elaborate machine shop tuning for mine with the rather advanced machines that I have . Not really worth it for such a cheaply replaced grinder .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

Lots of good info on those mills here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... ion.90849/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

> Good fix if the cast iron is of good enough quality to stand the strain.

It was good enough to grind barley but corn caused the socket to slip and that galled the auger. Oh well, I got a few more runs from something that was broken and otherwise unusable.